• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

plot Worlds Saddest Painter

sfoster

Staff Member
A big art installation in NYC skyscraper.
Brian unveils his latest painting to a fawning crowd - A large 8x10' work.

The crowd weeps at the sadness and beauty of the painting.
"I dont want to live anymore" someone walks to the edge of the skyscraper and leaps to their death.

The painting becomes a viral hit and sells for 10 million. The artist becomes famous.
It haunts him that he killed someone - it inspires his next painting.

Two dozen people at the viewing kill themselves.
"It's my greatest work! I will continue to make paintings and bring my art to the world. It's the only thing that makes me happy!"

At last he creates the greatest painting of all time.
300,000,000 suicides.

"I'm so proud of my art, it really makes people feel something!!
I used to be so depressed Now I've never been happier" he says.

Last edited:
Very interesting plot idea. I dig it. Why not play with the painter's conscious a little more. He/she HAS to paint. It's the only thing they understand.... but after the first viral hit, everyone begs him to see his works. He hesitates because of the suicide..... But his friend convinces him that it was a fluke.

The friend holds a private showing.... The suicides are worse this time.

So on and so forth. It would be metaphorical for an artist working on their craft even though it kills them and destroys things they hold dear.

Very interesting plot idea. I dig it. Why not play with the painter's conscious a little more. He/she HAS to paint. It's the only thing they understand.... but after the first viral hit, everyone begs him to see his works. He hesitates because of the suicide..... But his friend convinces him that it was a fluke.

The friend holds a private showing.... The suicides are worse this time.

So on and so forth. It would be metaphorical for an artist working on their craft even though it kills them and destroys things they hold dear.

Yeah thats great. I think there can be some exploration about freedom of speech as well.

I dig this idea too. It has endless potential. Can have endless variations. Some have already formed in my mind. Curious to see your take on it. Hope to see this finished one day. :thumbsup:

Freedom of speech? How so?

Also, is this a shower idea you have, or are you considering writing for it?

eh nm i wrote it out but i think it muddles the story too much. keep it focused on how the artist doesnt know how to do anything else.
I was not planning on actually writing this idea but seeing that its resonating with everyone I'm thinking maybe its worth it !

Could be a great 60 minute dark mirror/twilight episode

Last edited:
This is begging for a little Banksy flair... no don't make it graffiti, but the element of it being "illegal" as in, the cops try to shut down his installations and he moves from city to city (or at least within the city, and never the same place)... and these art openings are seriously hush hush and attract the elite.

This is begging for a little Banksy flair... no don't make it graffiti, but the element of it being "illegal" as in, the cops try to shut down his installations and he moves from city to city (or at least within the city, and never the same place)... and these art openings are seriously hush hush and attract the elite.

I started to go that direction with the free speech.. people protesting against the freedom of artistic expression, etc maybe i was on to something after all. sounds almost like someone making snuff films and exhibiting them

Last edited:
The cops could have no right to shut him down but try to with bureaucracy and old laws, like showing up and saying there are no fire sprinklers, etc. They basically harass him to the point of the secret installations. It helps his fame like Banksy. You can show cops show up and just tear canvases with knives and kick his ass, I picture it like that scene in Donnie Brasco at the bar in Florida.

The cops could have no right to shut him down but try to with bureaucracy and old laws, like showing up and saying there are no fire sprinklers, etc. They basically harass him to the point of the secret installations. It helps his fame like Banksy. You can show cops show up and just tear canvases with knives and kick his ass, I picture it like that scene in Donnie Brasco at the bar in Florida.

I like it. Cops do dirty tricks these days like use facial recognition to scan crowds of protesters and then identify and arrest anyone with outstanding warrants. Its a great way to suppress crowds.

Ending idea: he donates all the money from the first two paintings to charity and doesn’t want blood money .

now his mom needs an operation so he creates the third and final painting that he sells to save her . Owner posts it online, It results in the biggest loss of human life in recorded history. And his mom looks it up after her operation and kills herself.

Last edited:
Hahaha. How about go dark. The last painting doesn't sell at all and you end the film in her room, his hand holding hers under a single light bulb as she breathes her last breath. No money for the surgery.

Can you make it even fresher by moving off the well travelled paths? Instead of the often seen artist character, can he be a late night radio announcer? hedge sculptor? Indian reservation roadside trinket seller? Something new and fun to look at. Instead of the parent needing a surgery, maybe he wants something frivolous, maybe his son wants something charming and quaint. When the others have gone left, you go right.

There was this movie about a painter that sells his soul to the devil.....cant remember the name of this movie, but I tink Redletermedia did a review of it. It became dark very fast.....let me look up the name of this one.

The Devil's Candy.

Your Idea sounds more surreal and funny

Last edited:
You can make him a hitman. People pay him to kill certain people. His method? Paintings that will cause suicide. On one of his missions he unexpectedly falls for a girl whom he'd already given the painting to. Now he should undo what he has done. The girl's brain wiring has already changed due to exposure to the painting and is on the verge of suicide. The people who paid him for the mission find out he doesn't want to kill her and are looking for him. On and on it can go. You get the idea.

I’ve posted a lot of stories in the last month and this idea about the painter has gotten the best response. So my instinct is to keep him a painter. It appears to resonate with people.

Back