• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

who wants some cookies?

hey everyone

Ok, so today I did some lighting practicing and slowly improving which is cool. However, Im not sure but are the worklights in any way different in Europe regarding to the ones in the US? Im asking because when I tried to create a nice lighting pattern using "cookies" I noticed it doesnt quite work as I expected. I mean, the cuts I made dont quite show as I predicted. They look too soft to even notice, they dont seem sharp..all in all, weird loooking. lol. When I turned those cutouts vertically they seemed to get noticed clearer, but when I turn it horizontally it just makes a weird pattern that is hardly even visible. Hard to explain though. I hope some of yall know what im talkin about :D

You either have to have a light you can focus (like a leko) or position the cutout farther from the light source until it looks right. The softer the source, the closer to the object or wall or whatever you're lighting the cutout needs to be to actually cast the right shadows.

Ernest and Paul nailed it. It's the pesky laws of physics getting in the way. ;)

If you have access to an ellipsoidal spotlight you can purchase a "gobo" that you can project onto your set from anywhere and adjust the focus to suit your taste. Lighting suppliers have catalogs of literally hundreds - if not thousands - of gobos to choose from, or you can have them custom-made from your design. This technique is more typical for stage work than film.

With lens-less fixtures, your pattern usually needs to be bigger. The closer you place it to the subject and the further it is from the light source the sharper the shadows will be. Often they're suspended just out of frame by c-stands. I've seen gaffers create patterns by taking an empty 3'x3' frame and stretching gaff tape across it in various patterns, or to simulate venetian blinds.

@ Ernest - I made them out of cardboard (black). ellipsoidal lights? No, just worklights (500 watt). Yeah I tried to adjust but I the thing is once I move the lights further back to adjust the shape then im running out of space and lighting power which sux. I cant move the light back too much cause then Ill lose all the light output (or the wanted effect).

@Paul - yeah I figured there was something different about those lights professionals use in terms of creating a nice pattern of light. The worklights basically just spread all over the place. lol. Theres gotta be another way... maybe using some black wrap to wrap around the pattern so the light doesnt spread all over..hmm

@2001 productions - that might do it ;)

Last edited:
The worklights basically just spread all over the place. lol. Theres gotta be another way... maybe using some black wrap to wrap around the pattern so the light doesnt spread all over..hmm

It's not that it's spreading all around from outside the cookie, it's inside the light. ll the silve inside the fixture is there to make it bounce at every angle.

2001 said it, stick your cookie on a stand right out of frame and move your worklight way farther back.

It's not that it's spreading all around from outside the cookie, it's inside the light. ll the silve inside the fixture is there to make it bounce at every angle.

2001 said it, stick your cookie on a stand right out of frame and move your worklight way farther back.

Guess that should work, but it would also mean getting a more powerful light with a bigger output to match the look I want. Meaning if I move the light back, less intensity. Ill improvise :)

@ Ernest - I made them out of cardboard (black). ellipsoidal lights? No, just worklights (500 watt). Yeah I tried to adjust but I the thing is once I move the lights further back to adjust the shape then im running out of space and lighting power which sux. I cant move the light back too much cause then Ill lose all the light output (or the wanted effect).

What Paul said.

The closer your cookie is to the light, the softer the pattern will be and vice versa. So instead of moving the light back, see how close you can move the cookie to your shot without getting it in the frame.

So yeah, what Paul said.

EDIT: Actually upon rereading, what Paul said 2001 said :)

who wants some cookies?

Tricked into reading thread by lure of delicious cookies. I leave disappointed.
smiley_colbert.gif

Back