Who uses storyboard?

Hello there,
So this is the question, who uses storyboards? It kind of a poll i'm taking, i am a storyboard artist myself and i came to this site thinking i was just going to use it to find some work , but i love this community!!

So i want to hear from everybody that has any experience with using storyboards before shoots and if u can, tell me how u hooked up with the artist that did them or if u just did em yourself that would be bonus!!

Thx all,
Chris :D

http://vaksart.deviantart.com/gallery/#Storyboards

Last edited:
I used to use them, mainly because I thought that was just a normal part of the process, and it made me feel like a pro. Nowadays, I prefer to just have a list of shots, and what type of shot they are, with any relavent descriptions of what's going on.

That's not to say that I'll never storyboard again. I can see how they'd be really useful for a more complicated shoot, but as of yet, I'm not really doing anything very complicated.

It seems to me that maybe storyboards are a good idea for really big productions. I'm not saying they're a bad idea, storyboards are a good idea. But if I am doing a short, I know what is happening in my head and don't necessarily need storyboards so much as a good shot sheet like C. Funk just said.

I just shot something last weekend, I did not use boards....

-- spinner :cool:

Before cameras start rolling, I need two things, as far as stuff like this is concerned:

1. A detailed list of shots, with any relavent notes
2. A rough aerial map of the set, with all blocking for actors and camera(s)

I used to use them, mainly because I thought that was just a normal part of the process, and it made me feel like a pro. Nowadays, I prefer to just have a list of shots, and what type of shot they are, with any relavent descriptions of what's going on.

I think that sums my experiences up pretty neatly. I like having a shot list (when there's time) so I know what I need to cover a scene effectively, and then I can always add more shots when those are done. I do like storyboards in some situations (effects shots in particular), but sometimes they end up feeling a bit restrictive on set - it's easy to miss a really nice shot if you just start straight away with the planned ones.

I used to think storyboards were only useful for large productions, where the visual idea had to be communicated clearly to the multiple people involved (or where film($) is being used), and thus one-man filmmakers had no real use for storyboards.

Later on I discovered they are valuable in either case. You might find yourself at a location wondering about shot-flow, continuity, positioning, angle, and all that only to wind up playing it safe by getting a ton of coverage which you'll have to wade through later. I don't think it's ever a bad idea to refine your vision on paper before shooting. :)

I used to think storyboards were only useful for large productions, where the visual idea had to be communicated clearly to the multiple people involved (or where film($) is being used), and thus one-man filmmakers had no real use for storyboards.

Later on I discovered they are valuable in either case. You might find yourself at a location wondering about shot-flow, continuity, positioning, angle, and all that only to wind up playing it safe by getting a ton of coverage which you'll have to wade through later. I don't think it's ever a bad idea to refine your vision on paper before shooting. :)

I see your point on how it can be helpful. But I like coverage.

I see, i see, so basically if its a one man production (excluding actors) storyboards are less necessary because the director knows the story in and out. Storyboards are mostly for bigger productions.

I always though they where super helpful as a "just incase" but i guess i'm just anal like that.

Heres another question , how much are u willing to spend to get your script storyboarded? Since were at Indietalk and i'm assuming most of us have indie budgets, whats your ideal price?
How much would be willing to spend? (imaginary question so please be super honest)

Oh, getting coverage is important. In any event you're gonna get the master, closeups, reversals, etc. and maybe variations on those.

Really, I think it's less of an issue now in the digital age, where it's no big deal (cost-wise) to pick up those extras.

You mentioned a shot list and I believe that generally accomplishes the same thing.

What I was getting at was just going to shoot without prior planning. (And then having to work under pressure)

In my current position (one man crew, no budget etc), to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't pay anything for a storyboard.

That's not reflective of my opinion of storyboards as a useful tool, it's just that at this point, I would not be willing/able to pay anyone and there are, no offense intended whatsoever (you asked for it), more important positions that I would prioritize for pay.

I rarely use storyboards. It’s a cost that I just can’t afford
when I’m shooting a low budget movie. And I tend to be so
freeflowing while on set that I don’t use the boards I pay for
anyway. Even when I’m shooting action scenes I find I don’t need
them. They would be nice, but just out of my budget. A shot list
is fine for my needs.

When I have used a storyboard artist I have found them through a
referral or I met them on a personal level. I have never looked on
line, I have never put out a job notice.

I think it's less of an issue now in the digital age, where it's no big deal (cost-wise) to pick up those extras.

I would disagree with that opinion, for a few reasons. :)

1) It's an indication that the director does not have a clear vision for the film, and even if s/he does then there is no way to clearly communicate that vision to the visual artists involved in capturing it on set.

2) It makes editing a lot more difficult, with takes of so many different choices - instead of multiple takes of the same choice. There is coverage, and then there's "coverage for the sake of coverage".

3) It pushes the "cost" into post-production, which is the last place where basic fundamental decisions about the film's direction should be being made. :weird:

Just my opinion, though. :)

VaksArt said:
i'm assuming most of us have indie budgets, whats your ideal price?

Define "indie" budget first. ;)

For what it's worth, I'm storyboarding my next short film right now - using my amazing stick-man art talents. :lol:

When I'm done with my chicken-scratches, I'll be needing someone to "convert" my terrible drawings to something more traditional. In reality, this will get done for $150 or less via a craigslist post (and there'll be dozens of extremely talented artists fighting each other for the lo-paying gig).

It's a tough racket you're in. It's even rougher than dime-a-dozen composers looking to score a film, because at least even lo-budget filmmakers know they'd like to have a custom (and free) score for their film.

It's much harder to convince lo-budget filmmakers that a storyboard can make their life (and project) easier.

Good luck.

I am a very low budget filmmaker and have always used storyboards. I have found with all the artists I have used that I've never had to pay anyone as firstly I can't afford it and also the fact that they just want to build up their portfolio, so they are more then happy to do it for free.

These are all shorts thou, I would most likely have to pay for a feature story board artist.

Oh, as a side-note...

I'm remembering an interesting tidbit from "Film Directing - Shot by Shot" by Steven Katz. He referenced a director who had a clear visual understanding but still used storyboards to "save face" with the crew. So there's another aspect to it.

I would disagree with that opinion, for a few reasons. :)

1) It's an indication that the director does not have a clear vision for the film, and even if s/he does then there is no way to clearly communicate that vision to the visual artists involved in capturing it on set.

To be clear... I think planning before the shoot is key. :) Guess I was saying that grabbing those extra shots doesn't cost what it used to (in terms of film stock = $$$).

Zensteve said:
It makes editing a lot more difficult, with takes of so many different choices - instead of multiple takes of the same choice. There is coverage, and then there's "coverage for the sake of coverage".

Totally agree!

I like the way storyboards look, so I think once a film is done it would be cool to have a scene from it storyboarded and presented with the title (in font and colors) and key credits listed as a framed conversation type art object keep sake piece, or even have several of printed and framed to give to the principals and so forth. (If it wasn’t too costly that is.)

-Thanks-

Back