favorite What's your favorite scene???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqSQ5Vu8vM

Great scene from the Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, Jessica Hynes, and Nick Frost TV show "Spaced". If you're a fan of SHAUN OF THE DEAD and/or HOT FUZZ and you haven't seen "Spaced" go rent it...NOW!

Here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFEJstPBwvw

Too many scenes to count, from too many flims.

From Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQYKDrOs_j8

I wish I could also find a clip online of the scene in Fitzcarraldo, where Kinski throws a cat. Oh well...

OMG! True Lies! Most AWESOME James Cameron movie EVER! Don't you dare argue with me CF!

Okay, it's been a while since I've visited this thread. Cliche, you done lost your mind! "True Lies" is awesome, but I mean, c'mon!

I'm not even gonna mention the one you're thinking -- what about "Aliens"? "T2"?! Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit!!!

It's tame, is what it is. Especially considering the antics Klaus Kinski was known for (onscreen, and off).

I'm with gooberman. That scene was jacked up. That monkey is an infant. It is definitely not enjoying being grabbed, held, and THROWN.

EDIT: Hammerstone, I don't mean to throw stones at you, however. Primates are used in cinema so much, that audiences have come to believe that they are happy and properly trained, and all that. So, it's not crazy for you to assume that this monkey was watched after and treated properly.

There have been a number of threads in which I've made some bold statement, thinking I know I'm correct, then somebody who knows more corrects me. This won't be one of those cases. While getting my degree in anthropology, I specialized, so to say, in primatology, and even spent an entire Summer surveying wild macaques (similar to the monkey in this video), in Bali. So, I can tell you, with high confidence that this monkey is not old enough to have received any kind of training -- it's an infant. And even if it was older, it'd still be messed up to grab him and toss him like that.

Last edited:
One that everyone probably already knows, but if not - they should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg8MqjoFvy4

The "OG" long-take crane shot. Genius work. Also illustrates something Hitchcock articulated at one point or another.

If two people are sitting at a table, and suddenly a bomb goes off that's cheap shock. Everyone jumps and then it is over.

If we see a bomb under the table ticking away, then watch them sit there and talk, that's suspense. When is the bomb going to go off? Will they notice it in time? Why is it there? Who planted it? All questions running through the audience's mind from the time they see the bomb to the time it goes off.

I'm with gooberman. That scene was jacked up. That monkey is an infant. It is definitely not enjoying being grabbed, held, and THROWN.

EDIT: Hammerstone, I don't mean to throw stones at you, however. Primates are used in cinema so much, that audiences have come to believe that they are happy and properly trained, and all that. So, it's not crazy for you to assume that this monkey was watched after and treated properly.

There have been a number of threads in which I've made some bold statement, thinking I know I'm correct, then somebody who knows more corrects me. This won't be one of those cases. While getting my degree in anthropology, I specialized, so to say, in primatology, and even spent an entire Summer surveying wild macaques (similar to the monkey in this video), in Bali. So, I can tell you, with high confidence that this monkey is not old enough to have received any kind of training -- it's an infant. And even if it was older, it'd still be messed up to grab him and toss him like that.

No, I'd say you're right. According to Herzog's commentary, the monkeys were all caught in the wild. Here's a bit more of the scene. I wish it had English subtitles, because it's an amazing monologue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO8H01i2Low&feature=related

Not that I'm intentionally trying to argue with you, but all the monkeys look the same size to me. It would be hard to tell which are the young and which are adults. I'm not sure I agree that this is an infant monkey.

BUT: I'm pretty sure Kinski's monkey-toss was unscripted. What does that prove? That Kinski was a bastard? There is much more overwhelming evidence to that effect. Honestly, I still think it's inspired, definitely unexpected. I guess you could say that what I find most entertaining are all the shenanigans he got up to...

Oh, I found the cat toss scene, at 5:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-B_gBXv_g

David: Touch of Evil is a GREAT inclusion. I wish I had posted it first!

Last edited:
ifindyourlackofhumordis.jpg

Not that I'm intentionally trying to argue with you, but all the monkeys look the same size to me. It would be hard to tell which are the young and which are adults. I'm not sure I agree that this is an infant monkey.

In the following pictures, there's no way to tell which is larger or smaller, but can you tell which one is a cat, and which one is a kitten? Which one is a dog, and which is a puppy?

cat-face.jpg

cat1.jpg

puppy.jpg

Dog_Olive.jpg

It's not so easy for you to tell the difference between an infant, juvenile, subadult, or adult monkey, but that's because you're not familiar with them. I am. I spent 40 hours a week, following them around the forest, one Summer. On the first day, you can't tell them apart. Within a day or two, you can easily recognize sex, and relative age. By the end of the week, you're on a first-name basis. As easily as you can spot a puppy, I'm telling you (and you can choose not to be believe me) that is certainly an infant.

I haven't seen the entire thing, so I can't comment on the other monkeys in the movie, but if they're the same size, they're probably also infants. An adult male of that species would be in the ballpark 30+ lbs, and it would literally tear this man to shreds. Their canine teeth are long, and razor sharp, and they're not afraid to use them. I personally watched a particularly stupid tourist get a two-foot long gash down her arm, because she wanted to play with an infant, and alpha-male wasn't having it. There are a handful of monkey species in this world that have adults the size as the one in the movie.

EDIT: All false; look a couple posts below.

EDIT2: Out of curiosity, I'm trying to identify that species. Looks like it's probably a capuchin. God, this is vexing me! It's definitely not a macaque, as I guessed earlier, but that guess was based on an infant. Those juveniles show much more of the species' markings. This is going to drive me insane.

Last edited:
It's not so easy for you to tell the difference between an infant, juvenile, subadult, or adult monkey, but that's because you're not familiar with them. I am. I spent 40 hours a week, following them around the forest, one Summer. On the first day, you can't tell them apart. Within a day or two, you can easily recognize sex, and relative age. By the end of the week, you're on a first-name basis. As easily as you can spot a puppy, I'm telling you (and you can choose not to be believe me) that is certainly an infant.

iv been watching the show rebel monkeys for a while and i can tell an infant.

Squirrel monkey! Haha. It's probably not an infant.

Now, my post above seems oh so silly, what with my claim to expertise (at least this time, I corrected myself, before any damage was done). Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

squirrel_monkey.jpg

Squirrel monkey -- full-grown, they are about the size of the one in the video.

I can feel Ernest wagging his finger at me. Tsk, tsk, tsk, typical Cracker Funk.

Last edited:
Haven't read the whole thread, so it might've been posted already, but the five minute steadicam shot on the beach in Atonement has to be one of the most brilliantly executed scenes in modern cinema… and the music is just beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgILEmJFw2o

Haven't read the whole thread, so it might've been posted already, but the five minute steadicam shot on the beach in Atonement has to be one of the most brilliantly executed scenes in modern cinema… and the music is just beautiful.

This video contains content from NBC Universal, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Recently I was watching king of the hill on adult swim and this commercial came on. It was one of adult swims usual commercial, It said "if there was a war between and army of vampires and an army of zombies, who would win". The first thing that popped in my head was "that could never happen, vampires don't exist".

Anyways, any "The Office" fans here. I personally think its the best mockumentary ever created. here is a compilation of all the pranks Jim played on Dwight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxfzyItXDm8

Back