favorite What's your favorite old technology movie?

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
Like, do you enjoy watching Hackers and laughing a little? Antitrust? War Games?

Technology moves so fast these "cutting edge" movies can often be dated in just a couple years now.

That stuff is too stupid for me to enjoy lol

So i'd have to say

Star Trek 1979

My examples were purposely meant to not persuade so I chose bad ones lol.

I think that the best possible response here is

Watch out Jonny, this disk has 700 mb of data on it, it'll blow your head clean off, ROFL

A related thing I've noticed lately is how the world is "catching up" to science fiction. They try to show the future, and it's marvelous new inventions of the year 3000, like a thin cell phone, or a quadcopter car. Then you go over to youtube and someone built the thing for fun in their garage last year. The future just doesn't seem so futuristic any more.

Like, do you enjoy watching Hackers and laughing a little? Antitrust? War Games?

Technology moves so fast these "cutting edge" movies can often be dated in just a couple years now.
Love Hackers, I still think it is Rad lol:) Great soundtrack also

Orbital - Halcyon On and On​

is definitely a timeless track on that soundtrack!

---
I think Timecop is Van Damme's best movie, can watch it a lot of times and never get bored.

I think Lawnmower man is a great old technology movie with a twisted as hell plot.

Virtuosity is so damn dated/cheesy but also Rad:)

I probably know about 10 more I loved from back in the day, just have to come to my mind lol

Love Hackers, I still think it is Rad lol:) Great soundtrack also

Orbital - Halcyon On and On​

is definitely a timeless track on that soundtrack!

---
I think Timecop is Van Damme's best movie, can watch it a lot of times and never get bored.

I think Lawnmower man is a great old technology movie with a twisted as hell plot.

Virtuosity is so damn dated/cheesy but also Rad:)

I probably know about 10 more I loved from back in the day, just have to come to my mind lol
Those are all good picks.

I think Timecop is underrated, easily Van Damme's best film.

You should check out this updated remix of Halcyon, it's good

The original Planet of the Apes has always been on my top 5 list but I still snicker when I see Dodge checking the atmosphere after they crashed into Lake Powell (in Utah). You'll notice that this highly sophisticated instrument sports a mini barbershop pole that is spinning, just like the full size barber shop poles that use to be found in front of barbershops across the country. LOL!

atmosphere.JPG

Last edited:
Soylent Green is a good one. Released in 73. It portrays the future of American, and presumably the world. In the movie we are treated to such futuristic technology as a video game that looks a lot like Asteroids, sliding doors, and social changes that include apartments equipped with live in female sex servants referred to as furniture... So much for women's lib. I think they probably got one thing right though, the Soylent Green crackers. The way things are going around the world, it may just be a matter of time before they start feeding us crackers made out of god only knows what.

Last edited:
Terminator 2

Loved the scene when arnold shattered robert partick, then slowly the liquids assembled from scratch and became whole again. Awesome.

Arnold felt as real as a robot can be. In my humble opinion.:)

A related thing I've noticed lately is how the world is "catching up" to science fiction. They try to show the future, and it's marvelous new inventions of the year 3000, like a thin cell phone, or a quadcopter car. Then you go over to youtube and someone built the thing for fun in their garage last year. The future just doesn't seem so futuristic any more.
There's also the contrasting situation, where we've arrived at - and passed through - various futuristic dates with many sci-fi promises still unfulfilled.

I watched You've Got Mail earlier this week. Oh, how I miss that dial-up sqwarkley noise! :lol:

Terminator 2

Loved the scene when arnold shattered robert partick, then slowly the liquids assembled from scratch and became whole again. Awesome.

Arnold felt as real as a robot can be. In my humble opinion.:)
If that is old technology you must live in the future! 😂😂😂😂

Honestly, I still enjoy War Games.

I was surprised to learn my wife had never seen Flight of the Navigator. We’re both 80s kids and that movie was a staple for me when it came out. We watched it a few weeks ago, a re-watch for me and a first viewing for her, and I was actually surprised with how well the film holds up. There are a couple of rough edges by today’s CGI standards, but it’s still an enjoyable film. The fact that so much of it was practical certainly helps. Now, if I can just get her to watch another 80s classic she somehow never saw, The Last Starfighter…

Back