movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Thanks for the recommendation - I've added that to my watch list.
Yup. Not bad, I think, although the Waltz guy is so one dimensionally bad that there wasn't much drama. The structure is interesting, though, I think; it is told through flashbacks--maybe not particularly effective, but an interesting writing choice.

Last edited:
Well there were quite a lot of "things", I watched which weren't actually movies including

Christmas Hellfire
Clothworld
Artifacts of Time
and
Triggered

.......save for the fact they were all REAL.

Goddamn, the ratings!!!!!!

Grease
I skipped over this in my classic film research phase - I don't like musicals - but they were talking about this on a podcast i listen to, and then my aunt said it's her favorite film, and I hate when ppl talk about movies I haven't seen lol, so I had to go and watch it.

I say... 3/5 the acting was really hammy, the ending is extremely predictable, it's very dated, I could have done without watching it

White Noise
Interesting in the first half but I was getting bored in the second half, wanting it to end
2/5

Glass Onion
3.5/5 Much better than the original knives out, it kept my focus throughout the film.

The Whale 8/10
Excellent movie with terrific performances from the entire small cast.

It's also a great example of doing a lot with just one location. Yes there are 2 VERY brief shots of a beach but they're of the "sneeze and you'll miss them" variety.

And with a reported budget of $3 million vs the $80 million that I've seen listed for White Noise (4/10), hats off to Darren Arnofsky for doing a lot with what for Hollywood is a tiny budget.

Last edited:
The Whale 8/10
Excellent movie with terrific performances from the entire small cast.
Haven't seen The Whale yet, but keeping my eye out for it. Brendan Fraser's story is, to me, moving. I think the entitled perpetrators of sexual improprieties imagine themselves harmless, that it is no big deal, that they are above decency. But the damage that can be done...

Anyway. It took me several second looks to recognize him in that super noiry, engaging but somewhat confusing, No Sudden Move as the hunk from the Mummy and George of the Jungle.

And now as the whale. Anyway, looking forward to it .

Last edited:
Whtie Noise 4/10

That's a generous score and reflects the fact that I'm a big Adam Driver fan.

Ridiculously long, both in total run time and time in each scene. Boring. Meandering. Seemingly endless.
MAYBE it was a great book but I hated the movie - and I was seriously looking forward to seeing it.

I saw in several places that the budget is listed at $80 mil and all I could think was "are you f***ing kidding me?"
I can't see how that cost more than $10 mil but I guess I'm naive.
I find the trailer already painful to watch.

The menu 7/10 interesting movie with good suspense..... but a very unlikely ending. It breaks the suspension of disbelief completely. Anya Taylor-Joy is good in this movie.

Last edited:
The menu 7/10 interesting movie with good suspense..... but a very unlikely ending. It breaks the suspension of disbelief completely. Anya Taylor-Joy is good in this movie.
I give it 7/10 also, for some terrific dark comedy as well as suspense. Definitely the ending was unbelievable but I didn't find much of it terribly believable. And that's a damn good-looking cheeseburger :)

I find the trailer already painful to watch.

I watched it last night. I typically agree with you guys, but I thought this one was terrible. I felt like it was written by an idiot. Suspension of disbelief is basically page 1 of the beginners writing manual, and it's clear this writer hasn't gotten that far yet. Technically, on the crew side it was all done perfectly, but the writing, the characters, the plot, the reveals, everything non technical felt like a teenager from an AP lit course put it together overnight.

I didn't feel like the ending broke suspension of disbelief, because for me it was gone so fast at the beginning of the movie. Basically everything every character said and did broke SOD, every time. The Chef's ideological rantings were so random and stupid and pointless that I couldn't ever imagine anyone following him, much less to their deaths. I came away wondering if Fiennes even read this script before taking the part.

"And YOU mr finch, you once called the homeowners association about my sprinkler shooting water over the property line, that's why I decided to build this billion dollar private island and commit suicide. The 24 dollar fine I was forced to pay has resonated in my very soul for a decade, with your imperialistic consumerist lawn sprinkler authoritarianism as the catalyst for my revolutionary murder dinner. If only society at large could recognize it's own dark descent into the spiraling ethical abyss of negative yelp reviews that partially reduce business at neighborhood sandwich kiosks, and why must I kill you Mrs Graves? Because some eateries value how their napkin is folded, and yours did not. Your scathingly saccharin advertisings pumped out through the twisting tentacles of a million streaming networks, luring countless people into your insipid den of clumsily folded napkins is the kind of affront that can provoke only one response, burning a room full of strangers alive while they just sit there.

Do you remember the scene where he imprints the tacos with the images of the vendors who had been hurt by the one woman's review column like dexter showing all the serial killer victims?

It's so rare that I actually hate a movie, but this thing was dumber than a pro wrestling match. The actors, director, everything was fine, but this writer must have a concussion.

On the positive note, aside from the basically random casting, the two leads were both good, with Fiennes doing an exceptional job bringing this entirely incoherent character to life. Anna Joy was good in the role, but I didn't ever understand why her character was a main character.

One of the worst movies of the year to me. Every sentence like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Just finished watching The Menu with some interest, because of the disparate reviews above. I think I'm somewhere in between Nate and Mara. It was the kind of movie i found interesting enough to want to stay till the end, while still a little anxious for it to get there.

But It may be a little unfair to criticize if on "suspension of disbelief" grounds. Suspension of disbelief is not really a criteria for this genre stuff; a lack of verisimilitude is built in. As far as what genre it is, it's kind of a mash up of horror, social satire, and black humor (with a little Ratatouille thrown in at the end.)

It might have been better to pick one genre and stick with it. Horror needs suspense, and the cat, here, was released from bag pretty early; social satire needs to be smart, and this is just kind of smart-ish; and black humor needs to be funny, and here, not so much. (Although I did get one chuckle, when one guys crime was that he once had asked for a substitution; the only bad meal I ever got at my local fine-dining restaurant was the time I asked if I could substitute risotto for Chef's quinoa, lol. My salmon was shamefully overcooked :) )

And I could appreciate one sub-text. I once worked in the signature restaurant of a world-class chef, manning the sautée station. And yes, there were a lot of "yes chefs" and yes, the chef was always addressed as "Chef" and had, within the organization, presidential status--all within an industry, the service industry, that is in itself kind of demeaning, in that one has to, constantly, suck up to someone.

Anyway, I could appreciate the effort at something kind of high-concept, something original, even if it wasn't as tightly realized as it might have been. But, for what it is, it well executed, so I'm probably around a 6.5

Last edited:
The Power of the Dog
A work of art! It starts off too slow so I give it 4/5 but this is a different kind of film, I really liked the lighting in a couple of shots too.

Yeah this is a good one available on Netflix

I also watched michael bays Ambulance, this was a tough one to get through, the camera is nauseating.
Unfortunately the ending sucked and pissed me off so it wasn't worth enduring all the shit camerawork in the end.

The only steady shots all movie were the drone shots - 2/5
Good performances by jake gyll and the candyman

Last edited:
Power of the Dog was something i thought about a couple of different times after I saw it.
IDK what the title means though it's not about a dog lol. They did show what it means in the movie, but i didn't get it.
(didn't pause or rewind either)

Anyway I watced this documentary about Kai, i was engaged the whole time.

If you don't want to watch just click below

An old dude drugged and raped him, and kai waited like two days before returning and killing the guy.
now he is in jail for 57 years.

the justice system is actually really lenient if you act immediately in the heat of the moment on that sort of stuff, but if you wait and then do something 'cold blooded' days later the justice system is extremely harsh. sucks to be so young and be jailed for 57 years for killing your rapist, that judge sucks ass. they also said his appeal was denied. i think he can appeal again.

Last edited:
Power of the Dog was something i thought about a couple of different times after I saw it.
IDK what the title means though it's not about a dog lol. They did show what it means in the movie, but i didn't get it.
(didn't pause or rewind either)

Anyway I watced this documentary about Kai, i was engaged the whole time.

If you don't want to watch just click below

An old dude drugged and raped him, and kai waited like two days before returning and killing the guy.
now he is in jail for 57 years.

the justice system is actually really lenient if you act immediately in the heat of the moment on that sort of stuff, but if you wait and then do something 'cold blooded' days later the justice system is extremely harsh. sucks to be so young and be jailed for 57 years for killing your rapist, that judge sucks ass. they also said his appeal was denied. i think he can appeal again.
I'm looking forward to seeing this one, glad to hear it's good.

Violent Night
3.5/5
now on peacock so i watched it

This would be an extremely average movie if not for David Harbor absolutely killing it as santa.
The damage mechanics in this movie are way off, like it's set in the road-runner universe or something, just not realistic the way most of the fights go down.

Near the end the woman is being strangled, reaching for an icicle... reaching.. reaching.. finally grabs it, does a massively telegraphed stabbing motion into his neck. Like this dudes hands are glued to her neck or something wtf, no person on planet earth is going to watch a slow motion 4 second stab into their neck and not even raise a fucking hand to try to defend themselves. Get that weak shit out of here.

So yeah kinda stupid movie but its got some laughs

Last edited:
Back