movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

I really liked The Death of Stalin (Netflix). I rate it superb. What a great cast, for one thing.

Also thumbs up for The Coldest Game (Netflix). A very nice spy film.

Jack the Ripper: The Definitive Story (Prime) It really does seem definitive. Good. Recommend.

Plagues and Pleasures on the Salton Sea. Pretty decent. I rented it at not too bad a price. But hopefully one of the streaming services will include it eventually. I'd probably recommend you wait for that; then check it out.

Faberge: A Life of Its Own (Prime). A slickly made documentary. Worth checking out, if you're into this sort of thing.

The Secret of Crickley Hall. (Prime) A worthwhile ghost story and dramatic miniseries. I'm kind of a sucker for these types of ghost story films, especially British ones.

Maze Runner 2 and 3. I thought they were pretty entertaining. B

The Divergent Series: Allegiant. Not as good as I think I remember the previous film being, but still decent enough. B-

Ender's Game. I thought it was pretty decent. I didn't think I cared much for the very end (and therefore perhaps not for its theme?). But I was entertained. Certainly a very good looking film. I'll give it a B.

Last edited:
A Scene at the Sea (1991).

A very low key, quite innocent film about a deaf mute garbage collector who wants to learn how to surf (yes, really). It was a pretty simple film and unless it went over my head it didn't seem to carry much weight or meaning. Whimsical I guess.

6/10.

The Goldfinch (B+) (Prime)

Cosmos (2019) (A+) (Prime) Really enjoyed this not-so-little indie. Just finished it and well, I got that wew! really good movie high thing goin' on hah-hah. Strong recommend from me.

Lovebirds

A new romantic comedy crime thriller movie on netflix.
2/5 stars even though the comedy worked and the two leads were great in their roles

this movie kept trying to put the two leads into life threatening situations over and over again, it was absurd
like a romantic comedy is going to brutally murder one of the lovers half way through the film?

it made the film completely flat, there was no suspense.
this film is a bottle of soda that was left opened for a week in the sun

The Lure (2015)

A polish musical about two mermaid girls who work at a burlesque style joint. I have no idea how I found this.... But it was an interesting ride. I don't regret seeing it, but I also don't really know if I liked it.

Inherent Vice (2014)

A more serious Big Lebowski

Scarlet Street (1945) ........................................... 8.8/10

Interesting movie about deception and art. A tale warning the audience about getting into relationships with the wrong people. Even though it has a sad ending the story is solid and very memorable.

I watched The Hollars last night on Tubi - 9/10

It's an off-beat family comedy/drama with a great cast, including John Krasinski (he also directed), Margo Martindale, Richard Jenkins, & Anna Kendrick. I definitely recommend it, with the caveat that it is a bit dark.

White Chicks (another guilty pleasure). My wife's been in the hospital 3 months (not Corona related) and sometimes you just need to shut down , pour yourself a stiff drink (Remy Martin with an Aberlour chaser) and laugh because it feels good. BTW, she's out of danger and is now in the physical therapy stage. And she MUST be getting better because she's mean as a snake.

"Now, yo, hold my poodle... hold my poodle!"

Enemy (2003) .................................................... 3/10

This movie was very boring. I couldn't watch it all. Takes itself way too seriously. Characters are shallow. Too much time wasted on characters pondering life.

Enemy (2003) .................................................... 3/10

This movie was very boring. I couldn't watch it all. Takes itself way too seriously. Characters are shallow. Too much time wasted on characters pondering life.
I watched it twice . Spiders

The Thin Blue Line .............................. 8.6/10 (1988)

This is a great documentary that is pretty much the template on how most crime documentaries are filmed today. Great production quality and interviews. Shining a light on police cases.

cape fear

a soft touched, nuanced portrait of revenge. just kidding.
this movie has the most awkward shoe-horned dolly shots ive ever seen in a hollywood blockbuster, with huge blaring music that sounds like it belongs in hitchcock's Vertigo.

the music and the dolly shots. lol.

Back