movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Star Trek: Into Darkness. Brilliant. Don't understand the hate for it. I think it's very swell.

Secrets of the Shining Knight. Very fine and informative. (Netflix)

Contagion. Not too bad. I rate it so-so.

The Russian Revolution: This is nice. Though I'd like a longer documentary going into more detail and context. (Netflix)

Monty Python: The Meaning of Life (2014). This is a cute documentary. See it, if you're a fan. (Netflix)

The Boat (2019). This is a pretty decent supernatural suspense-thriller. (Prime)

Wonder Wheel. Very good. I don't understand the negative reviews or lack of attention. This is pretty brilliant, exquisite filmmaking. Muah, Woody! (Prime)

American Dharma ............................... 7.5/10

Great production value. Errol Morris is funny. He says always sounds like he is a character in his movies.

Last edited:
Horse Girl, starring Alison Brie.
I like her a lot, and the first 3/4 of this was good. But then it just meandered off into far too many dream & hallucination sequences.
It's 105 minutes, and would have been better if cut to about 90.
6.5/10

probably get shot for this but

American Psycho - 1/10

entirely unlikable characters that you in no way care about (worst crime in writing/acting)
entirely unnaturally dialogue thats just distracting (2nd worst crime in writing)
and
the performace feels like hes pretending to be Jim Carey adutioning for the role of Joker in a batman movie (bizzare)

Idiocracy - 5/10

came highly recommended and felt average at best - the concept is interesting but the humor just didnt appeal to me (which is strange because it was recommended by people who have the same sense of humor as me) but its just felt short, unsubstancial and forgettable and I cant remember even giggling at any point nevermind laughing (the floppy purple dildo raise a smile thats about it)

Idiocracy - 5/10

came highly recommended and felt average at best - the concept is interesting but the humor just didnt appeal to me (which is strange because it was recommended by people who have the same sense of humor as me) but its just felt short, unsubstancial and forgettable and I cant remember even giggling at any point nevermind laughing (the floppy purple dildo raise a smile thats about it)

I'd be curious about your thoughts on Donnie Darko. That is another film I consider to be dark comedy, and since you didn't like American Psycho... I'm curious what you would think about a film that is somewhat similar. (Heavily narrated, moody, dark comedy.)

I watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire last night on Hulu - I'll give it an 8.5 out of 10 and I will likely watch it again.

As a screenwriter, I'm usually drawn to great dialogue and plot, but here some of the lighting and cinematography blew me away. Many of the shots look like oil paintings, especially reminiscent (to me, NOT an artist) of the Dutch Masters.

While it's pitched primarily as a story of 2 women, it's in many ways about three 18th century women, all very different.

I'd be curious about your thoughts on Donnie Darko. That is another film I consider to be dark comedy, and since you didn't like American Psycho... I'm curious what you would think about a film that is somewhat similar. (Heavily narrated, moody, dark comedy.)

oh honestly its been 15 years since I've seen Donnie Darko so its all very fuzzy and long before I started getting interested in film making, seen through the eyes of a mid-teen but I do remember thinking it was overrated and boring rubbish at the time (probably not helped by the fact I cant stand Jake Gyllenhaal either)

The Goldfinch 7/10

Watched it mainly cause of Roger Deakins. Images are just beautiful (like everything Deakins does). The movie itself was interesting and entertaining but could have developed a bit differently and maybe faster. Sometimes it just got to slow (and I enjoy "slow" movies). Crowley has the potential to be a great director and maybe is on the way to being there someday! Deakins is a beast and is really what made this movie good.

the ones below - 3/10

this is a film set as a pychological thriller about weather a new mothers experiances are paranoia or reality. often compared to Rosemarys baby its set from the main characters view and I heard people praise its insight into post partum depression but the problem is it lacks any knowledge of its other subject matter.

The main characters actions make some sense but she is triggered by the issues suffered by her new friend and the film is so ignorant to the other characters side of the story thats as someone who has been in a similar situation its actually offensive and damaging to people view of that side of 'mental health' I believe and because of its lack of understand of its own topic everyone elses actions arent remotely logical or realistic to their situation.

It suffers the same fate as many films in that it was an OK ride until the end where you are willing to ignore plot holes but the ending (last 10 minutes) was a hole so big you simply cant avoid it and made all the good parts worthless.

Code 8

Superhero movie on netflix .. man this is some simple minded writing, it sucks
A dude that can eat a couple eggs for breakfast, and then whip up enough electricity to power a small city out of thin air....

work in construction and struggles to make ends meet.
Uhhhh has nobody in the entire cast or crew of this production heard of the energy industry, like.. the biggest industry on the planet??

God this movie was dumb lol.

wounds - 1/10

If you ever want to study what not to do in a film then this is a perfect example:

The script is critically flawed in that the characters are all awful and worse off boring and there is ZERO story in it actually doesnt have any ending (I love ambiguous ending that leave the viewer to think but this didnt have that it just stopped randomly mid action) plus the sound editing was insufferable, its full of sound based jump 'scares' everywhere where they just slam a sudden noise up to the MAX so it can assault your ear drums when nothing is even happening + high pitch noises for no reason that last too long and act just like tinitus.

On top of that the footage is shockingly grainy and pixalated for netflix (who I though required a certain level of quality)

I should have checked IMDb before watching because when I checked after because I was shocked how bad it was nearly every review was a 1* and my opinions seem echoed by the masses.

Richard Jewel 8/10, Great character study, emotionally powerful. My only knock on it is that there is not much that actually happens conflict wise or for him to overcome. He has to deal with crap for a couple months, and then they realize they can't get him since he is innocent. Now it is a true story so they did all that they could do, which is not pull any punches on how quirky he was, and have him overcome a blind respect for authority that was driven by his own insecurity.

Back