movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Should I go see The Raven before that gets yanked at the dollar theater? One day left; barely survived a week there.

The Raven was really awful. I would probably see it in a dollar theater environment, however I can justify most films in that venue.

I thought The Hunger Games was pretty fantastic. I can see how it'd be disappointing if you were expecting Running Gladiator, because it's not much of an action movie. But I think they did an outstanding job of placing us inside the heart of Katniss, and her continuous experience of terror and dread were palpable, yet her rock-like resolve is enthralling. In my opinion, Jennifer Lawrence couldn't have been better.

Anyway, my most recent viewing: Total Recall. Surprise, surprise -- it sucks. It's the same damn story, only minor details have changed, and mostly in bad ways. And for a movie that is mostly an action-flick, the action largely stays in A-Team territory, in which 500 trained professionals can be shooting at an easy-to-hit target, but none of them hit. I'm hesitant to give it this high a grade, but I'll reluctantly give it a "C-", only because I did appreciate the acting.

Beasts of the Southern Wild - 9.5/10

I was super pumped to see this movie ever since I heard that it was made by Benh Zeitlin, director of the short film "Glory At Sea." The fact that it won the Grand Jury Prize at this year's Sundance came as no surprise to me. It's a similar setting (mythological post-Katrina Louisiana) but with much more compelling lead characters (especially the dad). The feats of acting pulled off by the father and daughter characters is even more impressive given that they are non-actors.

"Beasts" has much more intimate character drama, but not quite as grandiose a scale as "Glory at Sea." If you haven't seen that short, I highly, highly recommend it.

http://vimeo.com/10066407

Just watched 'The good, the bad and the ugly'...and wow, I got bored pretty soon into it. I probably should've given it more of a chance but hey, 6/10

Other than that, 'Requiem for a dream', disturbing but still 10/10
And 'Back to the future', which I thought was ok, but having seen a lot of parodies, I already knew most of the story and so it didn't have as much impact as I'd hoped. My own fault, still an 8/10 for me.

Carrie - 8/10

Having read the novel recently, I wanted to see the classic horror film to compare. It's a good film but a little dated and didn't have the same emotional impact the novel did. King did a phenomenal job of giving all of the characters great depth and I think some important characters/plot points were skimmed over in the film, probably to keep costs lower, as film is expensive and it was pretty low budget. Enjoyable watch, and I would have liked it more if I hadn't read the novel first.

Carrie - 8/10

and I would have liked it more if I hadn't read the novel first.

I'd say that's the case with most novel to movie adaptations, especially with King.

---

Catwoman (starring Halle Berry) is possibly the worst "superhero" film ever to be produced. Although it has a laugh factor much larger than others like Batman & Robin, it's still--without a doubt--the worst. I give it a .5/10

Immortals.

Visually gorgeous. Much of it looks like the sort of still photography I like to look at...only the pictures are moving, which is cool. But it's lacklustre storywise. One gripe is with the Titans. Maybe it was a budgetary limitation,
but that the Titans turn out to be little more than unindividuated, growling demon thingies
was pretty ho-hum and anticlimactic.

So for its visual cinematic artfullness, it would get a very high score. But a lacklustre story and drama-craft (is there a good word for that, a nice and neat way to sum that up?) pull it down as an overall film.

Maybe a 5 to a 6?

Guntown - 6/10 : Finally got to see the entire film, about two weeks ago. Made by Lee Vervoot; occasional forum member.

After having seen parts of it, sometimes up on YT (sometimes not working), sometimes for sale for $2 from website (which crashed a lot), dvd's for sale on Amazon (and then not) and well... I've been waiting quite a time to see the whole thing. Just happened to be randomly skimming my Twitter feed, and he starts yapping about how he's unlocking it on YT for a few hours, and having a live chat discussion for the screening on Skype (for which he never gives out the Skype address)

Phew! So I drop what I'm doing and just watch it while I can, start to end. Never did get to yap on Skype about it, but whatever. Lee's a pretty random kind of cat, I think.

At any rate: Film is unashamedly low budget, but that's fine. The story is solidly put together. It doesn't break any new ground in the horror genre, but it's hitting all the story notes on the way. I was expecting some T&A at some point, seeng how it is in that kind of horror genre. There wasn't. Oh well.

I was a bit surprised at the lack of gore FX, as well. Corn syrup is usually available, no matter the budget. I think the most gruesome we get is with a few severed limbs in a wheelbarrow that look suspiciously fake. Meh. No big deal. It's still a fun romp, and with the lack of nudity and lack of splatter in general, this might very well be a horror film that you wouldn't feel bad about showing to a younger audience. Good pick for scaring the young kids, without going overboard.

Great access to some cool sets, locations & buildings. The "jail" could have used some reinforcing (captured dude looked like he could have broken out, by blowing a huff & a puff at the thin wood walls), but it works for the story.

There was originally going to be a Guntown II. Then (according to random Twitter outbursts) there wasn't... now there's soething on IG for something Guntown related. I dunno. Lee's a weird communicator.

So there we go... solid, lo-budget film that will scare the dickens out of the younger audience. Decent watch overall for older peeps, but you'll recognise all the other films it's built on. No surprises for you.

Richy said:
Immortals sucks.

Yah, that blew. The "titans" were friggin midgets!

I learned later that this had the same director as Mirror Mirror, the recent Snow White film. If I'd recalled that at the time, I would have skipped MM as well, based on Immortals. Luckily I didn't, 'cos MM saves this director's bacon and gives him a second chance in my book.

MM saves this director's bacon and gives him a second chance in my book.

Hmm, I thought Immortals was alright, but I wasn't a fan of Mirror, Mirror at all. In my book, The Fall is the only bacon this director has. Thank goodness that one's ridiculously great, because it was self-funded and mostly out of Hollywood's control (which probably has something to do with why it's so great)...

I'd say that's the case with most novel to movie adaptations, especially with King.

Generally correct, although I think the film adaptation of Misery is outstanding - probably would rank it as on par with the novel. As much as it can make the film harder to enjoy, I still prefer to read the novel first, unless the film is known better than its source material, i.e. Requiem For A Dream.

Immortals Sucks

Yah, that blew. The "titans" were friggin midgets!

:lol:!!!

Ja, I was trying to be a little more subtle, a little more gentle...but um...yeah. :lol:

And, I was going to mention how what the Titans are holding in their mouths looks suspiciously like rebar.

Rebar?

So are the Titans being held inside of a mountain for the rest of eternity in a prison made by the gods?

Or are they the victims of an unfortunate construction site accident?

Well, good on them for finding creative ways to use what's about and stretching the budget a little further.

(I mean, it looks like freaking rebar painted gold or whatever. But then on the other hand, it's difficult to believe he made his poor actors hold that stuff in their mouths too).

But I did kind of like the film for what it is. It's just that it's not all that you want from a film. It's more about Singh's image making...I wanna say Tao, forgive me, which is considerable, but weak on the story and drama side of things.

I do want to see Mirror Mirror based on your recommendation for it.

Last edited:
Tarsem Singh films are beautiful.
The man likes his funny hats on characters.
His screen compositions always remind me of minimalist illustrations.

The Cell he directed, but the story could be shunted off onto someone else as writer. Meh.
The Fall he wrote, directed, and largely paid for himself. So he takes full credit on that. Meh+.
Immortals I was hoping would redeem him, but again, he delivered beautiful visuals with a Meh story written by others. Meh+, largely on visuals - which were impressive.
Mirror, Mirror, again by other writers (arrives in the local library system this coming weekend) but again the reviews are Meh. However, I wouldn't miss it. ;)

Mmm... Reee barrr...
titans1.jpg

Yeah...if that ain't rebar... :hmm:

Great screen grab, Ray. And damn, they didn't even bother to paint it gold, like I thought I remembered. Just straight off the Home Depot shelves, looks like. :lol:

Saw a couple of really good documentaries this week, Undefeated and Searching for Sugar Man. The former was fantastic.

And then I saw The E*pendables 2 which I shall not comment on...

The Lady in Black - 4/10 - I knew going in that it wasn't going to be fantastic or anything but it was still able to underperform to that lowered level of expectation...

Le Samouri - 4/10 - I really need to stop listening to Netflix's suggestions, especially when it comes to foreign films. It seems as if you like a good couple foreign classics/oscar winners and you automatically like anything that is not in the English language

Saw a couple of really good documentaries this week, Undefeated and Searching for Sugar Man. The former was fantastic.

And then I saw The E*pendables 2 which I shall not comment on...

There was a thread on the forum where people listed they favorite documentaries. Would you know where is it ? I can't find it.

"The Penitent Man"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1528813/

Which, despite Lance Henriksen's obvious awesomeness, was essentially awful.

From the oh-so-boring opening shot, to the "Why are you showing me this already" cut to the protagonist in the hospital, to the 90% of the film being a conversation explaining the story in boring and poorly written dialogue, to the completely flat lighting, to the poor actress forced to play the protagonists atrociously written young wife (really, I felt bad for the actress, her character and scenes were just irredeamably cliche - not her fault, it was the writing) all the way through to the big "twist" and blatantly obvious ending. Even the mighty Lance could not save what seemed like a "phoned in" effort in every single other aspect.

I finished watching it in deference to the great Mr. Henriksen and as an object lesson in how not to compose, choreograph, or light a film.

It's also an excellent study in how an interesting concept can result in a lack-luster end product.

Last edited:
Valhalla Rising - 6/10

I'd been meaning to see this for a while now, and as expected it was a polarizing film. I would go so far as to say it's an anti-film (although not an extreme example of one).

Depending on your perspective, this movie was either horribly paced or impeccably paced. Horrible because of the awkward silences, cutting, and line delivery that added to its anti-film appeal. But the pacing was also near-perfect, because throughout the whole movie I would be on the verge of nodding off, and then be woken up again by an incredible display of violence.

If you're in the mood for it, go for it! Otherwise I would recommend picking a different movie.

Back