movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Ahh... you liked it ;)

That's just a guess. This in no way, shape or form, should be construed by the good people at 20th Century Fox as my review of the film.

Mathematically, I could hate the visuals, follow the logic like a rabid bloodhound, love the direction and be completely unmoved by the script, and still have responded "half right". Or any other combination thereof that breaks things down in such a 50/50 manner.

There were more reviewers at the screening I was in, and I think there was a definite consensus among them, but, hard to say. Especially when you're not supposed to talk about it. :rolleyes:

gelder

Finally saw Sphere. Yeah. Hmmm. Something went wrong there. I suppose they were trying to bake a trippy film, and sadly, it just didn't come out of the oven right. Too bad. Good people involved. I've shied away from it all these years knowing that it's supposed to be disappointing. But sooner or later the sci-fi lover in me had to see it.

Snow White and the Huntsman. A pretty decent film, not bad. I like the supporting cast of dwarfs especially. It did remind me quite a bit of what is for me a much better and more satisfying film, Stardust.

Last edited:
Pirahna 3DD - :lol:

It's essentially a lower budget scenario of the first film in this new rebooted series.

Hasselhoff saves the film singlehandedly, with his parody of himself. Otherwise, nothing much new. It's fairly short, but with many funny gags worked in. It just doesn't have the "grand" scale of its predecessor.

What was most interesting was the distribution model. It was originally slated for wider theatrical release, but apparently cinemas are not freeing up screens while Avengers & a few other 3D flicks are still bringing in the bacon. So Pirahna-peeps released the film (as a rental only) to iTunes on the same day as the very limited theatrical release. Dunno how that's gonna work out in the long run, but that's how we saw it. Buddy rented the film for $8 via iTunes, and had a bunch of us over to watch it on the bigscreen.

Oh, we saw it in the 2D version, btw. Not available to rent in 3D, and don't really care for 3D anyway. There were many obvious 3D gags in your face in the 2D version, fwiw. I remain very unimpressed with the 3D revival.

Silent House - 7/10 - interesting film. Supposedly done in a single-shot, though some of the camera work was reminiscent of Irreversible

Dark Shadows 7/10

While many probably won't like this film, for me it delivers solid action, humor, and enough puns to at least keep me smiling.

Didn't care for Dark Shadows. An interesting look and idea, but, as with many of the recent Burton/Depp outings, no real substance to the story.

gelder

Tiiticut Follies.. An awesome movie about a mental institution for the criminally insane. Filmed in Cinema Verite style.. a disturbing look into insanity. Find it any way you can.... you need to see this movie once if you love film and the human condition. I just hit the intermission point....BTW what is the last US released movie to have an intermission ??? 1982 Ghandi

Didn't care for Dark Shadows. An interesting look and idea, but, as with many of the recent Burton/Depp outings, no real substance to the story.

gelder

Like I said, I can see how some would be disappointed. The only reason it got as high as it got with me was because of Burton's style, which I adore.

And this is probably my favorite film he's made in a few years. He's not made a film I've loved since the early 90s, and even that film got some mixed reviews.

Sound of my Voice - absolutely amazing. I can't think of anything I've seen better this year or maybe the last couple years. You are right into the story, great acting, beautiful, a few good twists.

30 seconds in and all I could think was "don't have a stupid ending, don't have a stupid ending". It did not.

DRIVE- 9/10

Great directing, great cinematography, great story. Loved the noir feeling of it and loved the soundtrack. Albert Brooks and Ryan Gosling were amazing in it.

Lately my Top Ten Films list has changed:

10. There Will Be Blood
9. A Clockwork Orange
8. Taxi Driver
7. Adaptation
6. American Beauty
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Inglourious Basterds
3. The Dark Knight
2. The Godfather, Part II
1. Magnolia

Last edited:
Excellant list, Fernando. It's not my list, but I agree with you that Magnolia is one of the best films ever made.

Boondock Saints. Eh. The bright spot of the film is William Dafoe, who seems to have had some fun playing his role. I was more looking forward to watching Overnight, afterwards. But it does't seem to be available streaming.

John Carter. Maybe a 7 or an 8.

Last edited:
We Need to Talk About Kevin - 9/10. Absolutely womderful film - very hard subject matter and the acting was outstanding

Lately my Top Ten Films list has changed:

10. There Will Be Blood
9. A Clockwork Orange
8. Taxi Driver
7. Adaptation
6. American Beauty
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. Inglourious Basterds
3. The Dark Knight
2. The Godfather, Part II
1. Magnolia

Ooh, we're doing all-time top-tens? Okay, I'm in!

10. Team America
9. Pulp Fiction
8. Dark Knight
7. Jurassic Park
6. Shawshank Redemption
5. Wall-E
4. Forest Gump
3. The Matrix
2. Avatar
1. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Anybody else wanna join in?

I'll do a top ten.

10. Dr. Strangelove
9. American Beauty
8. Toy Story Trilogy
7. A Serious Man
6. Eyes Wide Shut
5. Revolutionary Road
4. Inception
3. Citizen Kane
2. There Will Be Blood
1. Southland Tales

Honorable mention to The Mummy. Watched it hundred of times when I was younger. Can always watch it.

Sad-face?! C'mon, now. This would be a very boring world if we all shared the same interests and tastes. I am, un-apologetically, a Summer-Blockbuster kind of guy. Those tend to be the movies I most enjoy watching, and I think I'd have a lot of fun making them. :)

cjnixon -- just to be clear, which "The Mummy"?

Back