movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

True Grit (Cohen Brothers Remake)
A
I loved it. Fantastic plot, wonderful acting, particularly from Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld. I thought it was brilliant.

Last film I saw: The Man From Nowhere.
This film is mind blowing!!!!!.
photo136470.jpg

Battle Royale
A
Brilliant. Very good acting from something of an ensemble and a strong performance from Tatsuya Fujiwara, who I also thought was great in the 'Death Note' movies.
It was violent, naturally and although I found some of the gore effects somewhat tacky, it didn't detract from it at all.
It was also very funny in an incredibly dark way (:
I'd definitely watch it again (once I'm done with my 37 other unwatched films ;D)

Red State -loved it. It was a very serious horror film done by Kevin Smith that had a few bits of humor that did not take away from the tension at all. 4.5/5 stars

The Adjustment Bureau. This was a romance film that had a sci-fi/fantasy twist to it.I usually hate romance stories but this film was a fresh breath of air with all these sequels and superhero films coming out. I give it a solid 4 because the ending felt a little to abrupt for my tastes.

I also saw The Adjustment Bureau, and wasn't impressed. I was looking for Phillip K. Dick, and this pales compared to most other PKD works. Utterly forgettable. Lacked scope. Cheesy ending.
6/10

I Love You To Death is on Hulu. Great funny story, which I've seen before.
9/10

The Tourist was a letdown. Sort of sick of everything that comes out of Hollywood. This unlikely story built some momentum going one way, then screwed the pooch at the end.
5/10

I watch four to five films a day. I will begin by listing films I watched from yesterday and the day before yesterday, and will continue posting on a daily basis.

Day Before Yesterday (March 14.):

Belle De Jour (1967) - Luis Buñuel 10/10
His Girl Friday (1940) - Hawks 10/10
Duck Soup (1933) - Leo McCarey 10/10
The Thin Man (1934) - Van Dyke 7/10

Yesterday (March 15.):

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) - Capra 8/10
The Killing (1956) - Stanley K 10/10

What a brilliant noir. I loved it even more in my second viewing of it

Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler Part I (1922) - Fritz Lang 10/10
Scarlet Street (1944) - Fritz Lang 10/10
A Night at the Opera (1935) - Sam Wood & the Marx Brothers

5/10 for cinematic/directorial/cinematographic aspects
10/10 for comedic aspects

INSIDE JOB 10/10

A bunch of my friends had recommended this one. After seeing them capture the Oscar for best doc, I figured it was high time I watch it. The content of the documentary is excellent. In addition to that, the film is beautifully shot. Very well done. Very Entertaining. They really break down the financial crisis nicely, in terms that pretty much anyone can understand. I also enjoyed the narration by Matt Damon. Oh and one more subtle detail, but I felt like it made the film better - the film score/soundtrack is great. All in all, I'd say that Inside Job definitely earned its Oscar.

wall-street-550x445.jpg

My girlfriend and I are halfway through 'The Illusionist' and loving it.

69099_gal.jpg

And before that, 'The Host'.

960.jpg

Loved it. The cinematography, the special effects, the acting, everything. (We watched in Korean with subtitles, don't care for English dubbing.) Also had a good laugh at the portrayal of Americans as deranged psychopaths who jump at any chance to test their military experiments on unsuspecting countries.

Full marks I think, it completely surpasses the general standard of films in this genre from this side of the world, with just a fraction of the budget too. Really imaginative.

Battle: LA
C
I liked it a lot, it was unique it's looking at the whole thing through the eyes of one platoon. However, some of the script seemed forced and the second act dragged too much for me.

Dead Ringers
B+
liked it a lot. Big Cronenberg fan. The script was good and performances were solid all round with what I consider an award worthy performance from Jeremy Irons as the Mantle twins.
Cronenberg also bought his unique style to something not strictly horror with touches of paychosexuality and a viscer dream sequence that used good minimalist cinematography and a creepy parasite.

A real treat popped up on Hulu today, one of Charlie Sheen's early masterpieces: The Wraith.

Described as:

"Action Comedy

Jake is killed by neighborhood thugs, and returns as a mystical figure (The Wraith) to gain revenge. Starring Charlie Sheen and Randy Quaid."

This could be the worst film to come out of the 1980s.

1/10

I could probably do a week on what's wrong with this terrible, terrible movie. The dialogue is particularly painful. Every character says completely stupid things, almost constantly. Their metaphors and "witty" banter are so strained, that the awful d-level actors seem even worse than they are.

And the casting. Oh my God.

Oddly, each shot is lit up like a fashion shoot, apparently by tungsten light in the daytime. They all have perfect (big) hair and lighting in each pose.

The pretty bad guy keeps repeating himself with his little switchblade. So many of the character's actions are so lame and fall flat. Then they emphasize the badness with some terrible play on words that no one would ever say.

There's bikini girls, roller skating waitresses, supercars from another dimension, the spooky Wraith guy with a row of flashing lights on his shotgun, lots of car chases, explosions, badly staged crashes. This movie has it all, if that's the sort of "it all" you're looking for.

Genius. ...Since I'm only halfway through, I still don't see much purpose for Charlie's character. Hmm. He's not the Wrath, and he's not the bad guy. He's a wild card, a maverick, a warlock, or some Vatican Assassin teen heartthrob. We shall see...

...Oh, and the music. The music.

Last edited:
I watched Battle LA this last weekend. I did not like it. It was too slow and putting me to sleep. I kept on thinking how much I liked Independence Day more. The battle LA was like a war movie but with small glimpses of alien ships and fighters but they flashed by so fast you could hardly see them and the show did not have much for characters or depth it was just an action film that was pretty much the same the whole time. At least that is what I got from watching it the first time around and having troubles keeping my attention to it. I actually thought about leaving the theater and trying to get a different movie ticket to another film.

I just finished Heros season 3 today. I liked it but I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 more. I thought season 3 was not quite as good and was more of a downer as far as emotion for me. The first two seasons were more fun for me. Still it was a great show too bad they cancelled it at season 4. Now I have to get season 4 to see the rest.

The Illusionist is a great movie. So is the The Prestige. I think I liked the Illusionist more.

Last edited:
I watched Battle LA this last weekend. I did not like it. It was too slow and putting me to sleep. I kept on thinking how much I liked Independence Day more. The battle LA was like a war movie but with small glimpses of alien ships and fighters but they flashed by so fast you could hardly see them and the show did not have much for characters or depth it was just an action film that was pretty much the same the whole time. At least that is what I got from watching it the first time around and having troubles keeping my attention to it. I actually thought about leaving the theater and trying to get a different movie ticket to another film.

I just finished Heros season 3 today. I liked it but I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 more. I thought season 3 was not quite as good and was more of a downer as far as emotion for me. The first two seasons were more fun for me. Still it was a great show too bad they cancelled it at season 4. Now I have to get season 4 to see the rest.

The Illusionist is a great movie. So is the The Prestige. I think I liked the Illusionist more.
The first few times I saw the trailer for Battle LA on the TV I thought it was the sequel to District 9. Evidence that it's completely derived by producers who saw the success of the film and thought they could do the same thing.

And partly evidence that I should wear my glasses.

S.W.A.T. Firefight. 7/10

This was a great follow up to the 2003 film. It doesn't have the star power of the first, but I thought the cast did a great job nonetheless. The one very recognizable face in the film is Robert Patrick, who plays the villain. I've always thought highly of him in the villain role - esp. after Terminator 2. I also thought it was great that they filmed in Detroit. I'm happy to see Detroit getting some love from Hollywood. Very solid action film. The training sequences were especially cool.

AOTSs-Weston-Scott-in-SWAT-Fire-Fight.jpg

Submarine- Very decent film, definitely interesting to watch from a filmmaker's POV.

As always, check out my signature for further details.

The Last Exorcism - 2/10

A blatant rip off of Blair Witch Project, it also took me 3 times to watch it as I fell asleep the first couple. Also did not particularly enjoy the "twist" at the end.

My girlfriend and I are halfway through 'The Illusionist' and loving it.

69099_gal.jpg

And before that, 'The Host'.

960.jpg

Loved it. The cinematography, the special effects, the acting, everything. (We watched in Korean with subtitles, don't care for English dubbing.) Also had a good laugh at the portrayal of Americans as deranged psychopaths who jump at any chance to test their military experiments on unsuspecting countries.

Full marks I think, it completely surpasses the general standard of films in this genre from this side of the world, with just a fraction of the budget too. Really imaginative.

I enjoyed the illusionist, though it was....well because you're halfway through it I edited what I said to get rid of any spoilers.

I will just say I was not surprised at the ending :)

Last edited:
How Do You Know 7/10

I didn't know much about this film before watching it. Needless to say, I was surprise to see multiple all-star cast members associated with it: Jack Nicholson, Paul Rudd, Owen Wilson, Reese Witherspoon. Not to mention, it was directed and written by James L. Brooks. A thoroughly entertaining comedy. I just find it entertaining to see several of my fav actors on screen at once, as they are in this film. Totally worth the watch. Has some really hilarious moments; you're bound to when you you have Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson on screen together.

Stand By Me 10/10

"You guys wanna go see a dead body?" - One of my favorite films of all time. Especially near and dear to me because it's a film from my childhood. I just picked up the bluray. In my opinion, it should be a required film for anyone's collection. Such an interesting cast, way before anyone knew who they were.

The Tourist 7/10

This film has such a classy feel to it. So much elegance and luxury visually, topped off by two of the biggest stars hollywood has to offer. It's just cool to watch them interact on screen together - and in Venice of all places! I particularly enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance. I think he really nailed the role of the seemingly-genius idiot, as contradictory as that description sounds. The tackles a little bit of all genres Drama/Comedy/Mystery/Suspense, etc which makes it pretty unique.

Back