movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

It's not the last move I saw, but it's the latest movie I've seen that I want to comment on 'cause I'm a Sci-Fi junky. 8/10

Splice.

It's very cool. I missed it in theaters for family reasons, really. But I recently saw the Blu-ray. Nice! Okay, I usually despise the "don't play God" cautionary tale crapola, but despite that cliched and largely dumb genre, this movie is excellanto. Well, consider its creator. The Blu-ray includes a very nice making-of documentary...if you love Sci-Fi, look into it. As we all know, most horror flicks suffer from the "no one's that stupid-itus." This film skirts that, but safely negotiates itself (mostly) into smarter waters. I liked it mucho. It's smart, violent, sexy, and thoughtful.

I love Splice! Modern-day Frankenstein. Smart, compassionate, solidly-woven tale of science-gone-wrong.

The Secret In Their Eyes 8/10

Great film, really enjoyed the soccer game sequence, cinematography was excellent, acting was solid. Subtitles were not hard to follow. Anyone who has not seen this should check it out.

WarGames: The Dead Code.
Given how much I love WarGames and am wary of sequels, I really wasn't expecting too much from it. But it had some nice links to the original, and was a lot better than I expected, so I'd give it about a 6.5/10
It gained points for staying respectful of the original, but lost points at the same time for some absurd things that I thought were just a bit silly.

Faster

I found this film to be really entertaining. It is what it is - a meat and potatoes action film. That said, there are also some effective twists in the plot that make it better than most from this genre of action film. I very much enjoyed Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" in the lead role. He plays the badass role really well. Maybe it's the fact that he can actually kick my butt in real life. The rest of the cast is pretty good too. I never would have expected to see BIlly Bob Thornton in a film with The Rock, but it worked. Billy Bob is also very good. I would recommend this film to any action fan or any viewer who is looking for some raw entertainment (aka gun fights and $h*t blowing up).

faster-the-rock-dwayne-johnson.jpg

Get Low

Robert Duvall and BIll Murray - need I say more? Both of these guys are among my favorite actors of all time, so it was given that I would enjoy the film. Bill Murray has a unique way of blending comedy with drama. In Get Low he displays that ability quite nicely. The acting is phenomenal across the board. Lucas Black's performance is another one that stands out, aside from Murray and Duvall. Film is also very beautifully shot. I read that this was director Aaron Schneider's first film. He did an excellent job.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a58a7f11970b-500wi

Faster 7/10

I found this film to be really entertaining. It is what it is - a meat and potatoes action film. That said, there are also some effective twists in the plot that make it better than most from this genre of action film. I very much enjoyed Dwayne Johnson aka "The Rock" in the lead role. He plays the badass role really well. Maybe it's the fact that he can actually kick my butt in real life. The rest of the cast is pretty good too. I never would have expected to see BIlly Bob Thornton in a film with The Rock, but it worked. Billy Bob is also very good. I would recommend this film to any action fan or any viewer who is looking for some raw entertainment (aka gun fights and $h*t blowing up).

faster-the-rock-dwayne-johnson.jpg

Get Low 9/10

Robert Duvall and BIll Murray - need I say more? Both of these guys are among my favorite actors of all time, so it was given that I would enjoy the film. Bill Murray has a unique way of blending comedy with drama. In Get Low he displays that ability quite nicely. The acting is phenomenal across the board. Lucas Black's performance is another one that stands out, aside from Murray and Duvall. Film is also very beautifully shot. I read that this was director Aaron Schneider's first film. He did an excellent job.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a58a7f11970b-500wi

Well this thread's got some action...

"The Keep

I don't care. I think it's awesome!

8/10 "​

Hmmm. If you truly thought it was "awesome!" you wouldn't have given it 8 stars.

Last movie I saw:

I Am Number (Tw...) Four

4 / 10 (ironic?)

This is what Hollywood loves to shove out into the world. Pretty people battling special effects. My daughter dragged me to this movie, and I wasn't aware that the genius of Michael Bay was behind it.

It was that or yet another installment of the pretty people go spelunking genre. Been there, done that.

Is it really that bleak?

So, anyway, I always harbor some glimmer of hope that this time they took it somewhere new. This time they brought in some new talent, people who actually read a sci-fi book. Someone who abhors cardboard cut out cliche characters.

I actually thought it would be worse than it was. Perhaps I've been beaten down so long by gratuitous CGI bombardments that I'm becoming desensitized. Or maybe the cute blondes distracted me. I don't know.

There's even a tacked on "bit with a dog" that I won't bother spoiling. The dog, perhaps, has the best performance of the thing in a later scene.

Am I too cynical?

I'm sure you'll tell me.

The bad guys, they're bad. They kill because they kill. They just want to kill the pretty boy and other similar pretty refugees. Why? I don't know. They're mean. They wear black. They cart around a giant lizard. Isn't that enough?

On Enter the Void:

6 / 10

Spent too much time floating around, with not enough plot. The sister angle was too creepy as well.

lone star state of mind... 8 cant believe i never heard of this before a few weeks ago... and finally just watched it

mega mind 7 great family flick... about it

127 hours 9 james franco actually made me feel really confused... i enjoyed it... wasnt sure to be upset for him or happy that he was able to keep his cool that long... this movie would have got a 10 from me... because they honestly didnt need to show as much as they did of him cutting his arm off... but it will not ever get anything less than a 9 from me because of the reactions the people had that found him... and that whole final scene of him walking threw the desert with only one hand... good movie

Saw..

Enter the void: 5/10. I though the film had so much potential but there were moment were really off moments like the camera going on and on and nothing happens. Although I really like the start when he is smoking dmt. The concept was really good but there was no plot. I would have liked it more if it was around drugs lol.

Exit through the gift shop: 8/10 Awesome movie, I love street art. Lot of thinks to think about the movie. Bansky put a lot of things in perspective. It is really stupid people paying 50k for Mr. Brainwash piece even for a bansky one.

Get him to the greek 10/10 I really enjoyed this movie. I watched it again.

The Secret In Their Eyes 8/10

Great film, really enjoyed the soccer game sequence, cinematography was excellent, acting was solid. Subtitles were not hard to follow. Anyone who has not seen this should check it out.

I saw this in November. Really good film. I was surprised it didn't get more attention.....

-- spinner :cool:

Oops! Forgot to tell movie :)

I just watched Rachel Getting Married

Overall, I thought the film was good, 7/10. But Anne Hathaway gets a 10/10. I've seen a few of her films from Havoc to The Devil Wears Prada and then I saw Rachel Getting Married. She is much better than I would have given her credit for.

-- spinner :cool:

All Star Superman
5/5.

It's way shorter than the comic that the movie is based off of but they did a good job with what they got. I would have liked it to be a bit less kid friendly and have a run time of over 1hr 30mins but it is well worth a watch if you like Superman, comic books or the All Star Superman title.

Enter the Void - 7.5/10

I actually liked the first person POV concept that he did. And while a lot of other's didn't like the overhead/floating scenes, I didn't mind it at all. As for the plot, I thought it was all about him trying to get out of the limbo that he created by being a "bad brother," and a "bad friend." After that part was re-lived I was under the assumption that he was told what he needed to do in his next reincarnation so that upon his next death, he would be able to achieve liberation and not have to be stuck on earth again.

There've been a few for me

Zombieland
A-
Loved it. I really like Woody Harrelson (although I've probably spelt that wrong), I love Eisenberg and thing Emma Stone is brilliant. It was just a fun, quirky take on a zombie apocalypse I found genuinely hilarious at times.

Easy A
A-
Like I said, I think Emma Stone is brilliant and her performance in this is probably the best in a teen comedy in recent years. Hilarious, surprisingly intelligent and with great references to great movies (like the musical number she does and the way she references Ferris Bueller's Day Off earlier)
Loved it.

Paul, which I'd give a B
It was good, very funny in places, but I found myself continually comparing to Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz and that just took away from it for me. Oh, and I hate Seth Rogen.

Goodfellas
A
Brilliant acting, brilliant story. Brilliant.

Diary of the Dead
C+
Naturally it follows a similar formula to the other 'Dead' movies, but the documentary style made it much more interesting and just added, almost a level of verite (I think that's the right word, I don't have French letters though) to it that made the atmosphere stronger.

Hot Tub Time Machine is real funny. Watched it again last night. I would give it a B+ or A since it is my type of movie.
51VygaGllkL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

Besides movies I am on a Supernatural series Marathon. I will be starting Season 5 soon. I have finished seasons 1-4 in the last several weeks.

51qv9yMJ24L._AA115_.jpg

Last edited:
Besides movies I am on a Supernatural series Marathon. I will be starting Season 5 soon. I have finished seasons 1-4 in the last several weeks.

How a show that good got put on the CW I'll never know.

The Last Temptation of Christ - 9/10 - Scorsese's spiritual poem. Beautiful.

Down by Law - 8/10 - Jarmusch's take on the buddy flick and a spiritual yarn in its own right. Robby Müller shows, yet again, his mastery of black and white.

Clash of the Titans (2010) - 2/10 - The original is no prize either, but at least it had Harryhausen's effects going for it.

Back