movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

OLD BOY Last film I re-watched

Yup just yesterday, OLDBOY. the original version. Probably one of the best revenge movies ever made. Great twisted story, Violent for all you shock violence lovers, Gritty beautiful cinematography and lighting. Great acting, and memorable scenes. The hammer scenes are something not to forget in foreign cinema. a 10!

lets see if Spike Lee can top that one with his remake. Which I'm more than sure it will be decent and very well shot but nothing like the original.

The Shining directed by Stanley Kubrick - 10/10
Wow, just wow! This is my first Kubrick film and I am just stunned. There is so much I can say about this film, so I'll just say that it has perfect storytelling and some of the best use of a moving camera I've ever seen. I look forward to watching more of Kubrick's films.

Ive not seen a Kubrick film yet, that didn't have me totally glued to the screen. He is a true artist within his field.

2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and Eyes wide shut, are some of my faves.

Ive not seen a Kubrick film yet, that didn't have me totally glued to the screen. He is a true artist within his field.

2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and Eyes wide shut, are some of my faves.

Yeah I've heard of those films, pretty much his whole filmography interests me. Once I have access to them I'll watch them as soon as possible!

The Host (2013). Really not so bad. A bit slow and clunky through the middle. But I'm not one to complain much, if at all, about slow pacing. And I can live without an explosion every few minutes. Wasn't sure why I kept watching, but the drama kept me engaged. The ending was fairly nice. Some silliness, such as the baddies, for some reason, driving a fleet of Chrome Lotus Evoras. Huh? Anyway, maybe a 2.5/5. I liked the use of the cello in the score. I'm a sucker for the cello. =)

I look forward to watching more of Kubrick's films.

I just watched 'The Killing' recently and loved it. The way the story unfolded was very interesting, following multiple characters around/jumping back and forwards in the story, a little Reservoir Dogs-esque only about 40 years earlier.

Otherwise "2001" is a masterpiece in every sense of the word, and the doco "Stanley Kubrick: A life in pictures" is good viewing too.

Thelma and Louise 4/5
So much better than I was expecting from a 'chick flick'! It had the wolf from pulp fiction, kill bill's brother, the hottest looking brad pitt i've ever seen (no homo) and god damn shooter mcgavin from happy gilmore!! lol. the supporting cast really made this movie for me

Rome, Open City Hmm.. heard so much about this guy but I liked The Italian Connection/Manhunt and Milan Calibre 9 both better than this film.. 2/5 :o

Mystic River wow clint eastwood really knows what he's doing. 4/5 and great acting by everyone

Punch Drunk Love 2/5 i hated everything about sanders character. he reminds me of this huge idiot that i know in real life and never redeemed himself

Oh yes and last but not least..

Werckmeister Harmonies 2/5 what in the hell did I just watch. This is THE SLOWEST and most pretentious thing I've ever seen. This film has only 39 cuts in the entire film (in a running time of 145 minutes). there are like.. 8 minute shots of people just walking expressionless . you avant-grade fans may love it

Werckmeister Harmonies 2/5 what in the hell did I just watch. This is THE SLOWEST and most pretentious thing I've ever seen. This film has only 39 cuts in the entire film (in a running time of 145 minutes). there are like.. 8 minute shots of people just walking expressionless . you avant-grade fans may love it

Not a film for everyone :lol:

The Heat 9.5/10
Effing hilarious.
A definite must see.
Sandra B playing "the dork" is gettin kinda typecast thin, but the story's good enuff.
I wonder how much was ad libbed.
Didn't have time to watch the extras - they're probably pretty good and informative.

Only God Forgives.

Love the title. Beautifully shot, like people say. A lot of style. Really like the score, but probably minus the karaoke, though it works during the film. Might have to get it sometime. Good acting. But the story, yeah, overall unsatisfying. Some suspension of disbelief problems for me, too.

The bad guy wins in the end. But then they're pretty much all bad guys. Except Gosling's character. The only character to save a cat in the film looses in the end. Eh, so not so much for me. But I guess that's pretty much what Refn did with Valhalla Rising, as well. Maybe that's just his shtick.

Let's see. Maybe an A for picture, sound, and style. Maybe a D+ for story. Together....maybe that averages out to something like a C...ish....ness...and a minus. C-, then. Wellllll, the story is unsatisfying, but not uninteresting. Maybe that should bring it up to a...C. Yeah. Hmmmm, not sure. :hmm:

Punch Drunk Love 2/5 i hated everything about sanders character. he reminds me of this huge idiot that i know in real life and never redeemed himself

wow,I thought it was absolutely hilarious ;p

Only God Forgives.

Karaoke scenes throughout and Gosling's mother were probably the only interesting parts of film for me,well the hand sequences as well ofc. Imho, it was an arthouse film (bad arthouse ) which went into mainstream, attracted the wrong crowd and hence flopped. There was no story, the acting was plastic, but that was not the point, so I don't think you can say director fkd up because of that. He was making a film about a hand ffs. The main problem, however is that he didn't go all the way to the dark side of art house nonsense and supported the film with storylineish sort of thing ;p Instead of going to extremes of either pure visuals or hyper realistic story we were left with muddy grey tone of mediocrity.

imho,imho,imho :P

This Is the End 9/10
Vulgar. Effing hilarious.
I swear to God this looks like a bunch of Hollywood friends smoking weed, screwing off, and writing a screenplay with the bank and contacts to make it happen.
LMAO outrageous.

$32 million in, $124,591,529 out.
Can't beat it with a stick.

The World's End - 8/10
Finally caught the end of the Cornetto trilogy, and it was worth the wait. Didn't quite love it as much as Shaun or Hot Fuzz, but I think I laughed harder at it. I think I would have liked it more if I cared for the "midlife crisis/recapture your youth" type stories that it draws from, though it didn't seem as much of a deconstruction as the first two films (or maybe it was and I just don't know the cliches well enough). The action in the later half of the movie definitely draws from Wright's experience doing Scott Pilgrim. Solid soundtrack (though I'd say that about any film that has both James and Sisters of Mercy). I loved the very end. I know they're out of ice cream, but hopefully Wright and Pegg will do more together...and soon!

This Is the End 9/10
Vulgar. Effing hilarious.
I swear to God this looks like a bunch of Hollywood friends smoking weed, screwing off, and writing a screenplay with the bank and contacts to make it happen.
LMAO outrageous.

$32 million in, $124,591,529 out.
Can't beat it with a stick.

+1!

Awesome movie. Was my most anticipated film of the year, and it didn't disappoint!

Artificial Intelligence 6/10

I'm split on this film. The styles of Kubrick and Spielberg clash. It's a beautifully shot mess of a film. It has some great sequences, although is clunky and disjointed probably because Spielberg wants to have his style in the film, as well as bring the vision of Kubrick to life. It has some great elements, but some of the pop culture references and plot holes really took me out of the story and weakened the experience.

Naked Lunch 6/10

While I think the book is far superior, those involved in the making of the film really captured the imagery and mood of the book incredibly well, although it can't hold up to the books strange pacing that kept me hooked. It dragged sometimes and I didn't find many of the characters as interesting as I wish they were.

Great example of audio though. I began admiring the attention to visual detail, as I payed more attention, the Foley is what really made the stranger scenes more cringeworthy. Hey, and that jazzy, hectic score was a nice touch as well.

The Heisters directed by Tobe Hooper - 6.5/10
A very wacky comedy, I love its attempt at being an essentially silent film (with music of course). However, there isn't much to the film besides a unique gothic style of comedy. Worth watching, but not one of my favorite short films.

The Chorus directed by Abbas Kiarostami - 8/10
A cute film with a very nice concept to it. I love the camera angles and use of color in this film. After watching several of his short films I can say that Abbas Kiarostami is one of the greatest live-action children's films directors, yet his films appeal even more to adults because of their artistic merits. My only complaint about the film is that the beginning is a bit confusing and it is a little longer than it needs to be.

The Bride Of Frankenstein directed by James Whale - 10/10
I've been excited to watch this film for a long time and it did not disappoint. It's even better than the first installment in the series because it has more heart. The lighting, sets, and cinematography is always superb as always. So far this is the best Universal horror film I have seen. I love how short these films are too, you can just watch a bunch of them in one day if you wanted to!

Back