movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The raid: redemption.

The action in this film was superb,... just pure blood fest.
I also appreciated the action in TR:R.

Having seen TR:R's fight sequences, which are almost non-stop, I now no longer care for the way most directors for U.S. action films shoot their scenes, which is to jam that camera up in the scene - and I can't tell WTH is really happening.
I don't want to be part of the action, which is what I'm guessing the intent is.

Just watched 'Elysium' the other month - camera's jammed all up in their business. I can't hardly tell exactly WTH's happening.

I don't like my action "implied" or "suggested."
Irriates me.

I want to appreciate the fight choreography.

The only sorta recent fight sequence I've enjoyed were those in the film 'Troy' (not a great story/film itself), especially the one between Achilles and Hector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80SsC_ZNbyI

Anyway...
Let's enjoy some good TR:R fights!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CQa7WKpoDw

A Better Tomorrow directed by John Woo - 10/10
I usually dislike action films but this is really an operatic family melodrama with guns. I just love the whole style of the movie, Chow Yun Fat's character was just cool (esp. the image of him burning that hundred dollar bill while smoking), the music was awesome, the cinematography was excellent, and of course the action was great. What I love about this film is that it makes us care about the characters first so then the action scenes have more impact. So far this is my favorite action film so I look forward to watching more John Woo films!

Just saw We're the Millers and loved it. It's one of maybe four movies that I actually laughed at, so I'd say it succeeded as a comedy. The story is nothing new or particularly interesting, but it was a ton of fun.

His Girl Friday directed by Howard Hawks - 10/10
This was a re-watch, and I love it even more this time around. This film just has really great dialogue and a crazy plot. Cary Grant is just a perfect actor, I want to watch more of his films. This is Old Hollywood at its finest, I look forward to watching more Howard Hawks films.

The raid: redemption.

8/10

The action in this film was superb, ok it's not ongbak but it features a guy who the director saw when filming a documentary at a school in Indonesia I believe.

The concept of the film was good, story was a bit weak, but the action was just pure blood fest.

Can't wait to watch part 2.

Saw this recently too. Was great fun. The fight choreography really stands out from the usual shakycam mess we see in a lot of movies these days. I'd give it healthy 7, or probably an 8 if I'd had a few beers. :D

Red 2 - 7/10
Good comic book fun. I never saw the first one and so didn't quite realise just how silly this film was gonna get. Overall it's a pretty standard espionage movie with all the prerequisite cliches, but the amusing tongue-in-cheek antics, and an entertaining performance from Hopkins, kept us ticking along merrily.

The way way back - 5/10
Heartwarming family drama as young boy struggles to find his place in life.... yawn. A somewhat feelgood, lazy afternoon movie that makes you wonder just how hard life must be for the american middle classes, and how they make for some lame-ass whiney characters that do little to evoke anything other than indifference towards them. Meh.

Black Death - 6/10
The walking spoiler himself, Sean Bean, takes on an evil pagan cult in the name of The Lord... in medievil England of course. Aaaand guess what happens to him? Oh what, really? You don't want to know? Oh, ok then. Needless to say, his band of bad-ass sword-swingers and pig-pokers don't exactly have a peachy time of things either. After all, this is a place in history when people are dropping like flies to the plague, and death was a welcome release from yet another day of living amongst corpse piles, sleeping in pestilent swill, and wading through shat just to get the morning papers.

If you guys want a good foreign action film then check out The Man From Nowhere. It's a lot better then the raid.

I just watched Klute. Shoot me now.
1/5

I heard so much about Jane Fonda's performance in this one, but man this movie was boring.

Crimson Rivers 1 & 2
Surprisingly good.. 4/5 and 3/5
This was like a french version of the movie se7en, although it ended more like something from james bond lol. I guess the french were trying to be too hollywood, but overall still really well done. first is better than the second

Below are all good movies, nothing exceptional..

Bad Lieutenant (original) 3/5

Double Identity 3.5/5

Gangster Squad 3/5

In the Line of Fire 3/5

Inside Man 3/5

Paths of Glory 3/5

Patriot Games 2/5

Europa Report.

Not too bad. It's nice someone made a film about going to Europa. I'm skeptical about some things, though, particularly the premise.
I think it's implausible that anyone would send a manned mission of this kind to Europa without first sending a slew of unmanned missions there to check it out and make sure the coast is clear...like the approach being taken with Mars now. I'm sure that's how the exploration of Europa will be done in real life, if it ever happens. So they'll know well in advance if there are dangerous alien cephalopods breaking through the ice sheet, or that the ice is too unstable to land a spacecraft on, etc.

But hey, we're always hungry for good, or even just passable sci-fi.
It pretty much ends up being a monster movie at the end, which is cool enough.

I didn't much care for the soundtrack, at least for the first part. Still, a fairly decent job.

B-

A Better Tomorrow II directed by John Woo - 7.5/10
This film was quite disappointing since I loved the characters and the story of the first movie. I know that producer Tsui Hark and John Woo had a falling out while editing the film, but I feel the problem originates from the script. Either way, the film gives us the characters that we love with that amazing balletic actionwork. Some of the scenes go a little too far in their melodrama but I actually like how exaggerated some of them are. The return of Chow Yun Fat seemed really stupid at first but his great charming performance saved the film from being mediocre. The film also has enough memorable scenes, and one of the best action endings I've ever seen to elevate it from a decent action movie into a pretty damn good one. The "homoerotic" undertones and the religious symbolism are more prominent in this film (I prefer it when it's done subtly) but that doesn't ruin the film. While watching the film I sometimes wished I could tell John Woo and Tsui Hark what made the original so great, because I really feel this series could've been a perfect action trilogy. It's worth watching for fans of John Woo or action films in general, but anyone else should give the first one a try before watching it. The ending is a masterpiece though, the film is worth watching just for the ending to be honest.

12 Angry Men -- 9/10

One of those movies I'd been meaning to watch for a long time but putting it off for no real reason at all. Finally decided to sit down and view it, and am very glad I did.
Makes you realise just what you can do with a good screenplay and some decent actors. I mean honestly, it was just one room, a dozen or so actors, and a few simple props. No crazy special effects, no multitude of locations, no big crowd scenes. Anyone of us could put something like this together without too much effort (not saying it'd be anywhere near as good, obviously, but just logistically speaking).
Anyone read Lumet's book "Making Movies"? I just bought it the other day but haven't started it yet.

Sharknado is far better
Then 'Ghost Shark' must reeeeeeealy suck 'cause I just tried to watch the ballyhooed 'Sharknado' and the first twenty were so boring the demon that possesses my arm FORCED me to punch out the DVD.

I tried. :yes:

I really really tried. :yes::yes:

I wanted it to be so bad it's good, but it wasn't. :no:
Kinda like 'Iron Sky.' :(

Big Fish -- 4.5/5
Admittedly I haven't 'Dark Shadows' or the feature length version of 'Frankenweenie' yet, but after repeated viewing I really think this is Tim Burton's best film. It's certainly my favourite of his anyway, and that's saying something because I LOVE 'Batman Returns' and 'Ed Wood'.

Lantana -- 4/5
Really good Australian film which cleaned up at the local awards. Top notch acting from Geoffrey Rush, Anthony Lapaglia and co. The suspense was somewhat diminished though as I'd seen it before, many moons ago.

The Seventh Seal -- 5/5
Bergman's masterpiece. The 'Hamlet' of films. Maybe the best ever? Certainly up there.

Snow White original. good story but i fast forwarded through all the singing. not my thing

Bernard Herrmann this was like reading a gossip magazine. some of it was interesting but i wasn't impressed

THX 1138 3/5 which is much better than i was anticipating. and it ended with an exciting chase! nice job george lucas

Back