movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Bernie - 6/10
I wanted to turn it off halfway, but struggled to the end.
Meh. If you wanna watch it, gopherit.
You're probably better off reading the wiki summary and saving yourself an hour and fifteen minutes.

Jeff, Who Lives At Home (2)/10
I turned that fat bastard off twenty minutes in.
I hate this classic indie film cr@p.
And the camera work with the zoom in/out cr@p irritates me to no living end.

Found these on my latest spreadsheet monstrosity: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...SThyS1pFRHgxMWUtZVlDR1N3eUE&usp=sharing#gid=0

'Bernie' is a Millennium product: http://boxofficemojo.com/studio/cha...entertainment.htm&sort=open&order=DESC&p=.htm
'Jeff, Who Lives At Home' is a 'Paramount Vantage' product: http://boxofficemojo.com/studio/cha...amountvantage.htm&sort=open&order=DESC&p=.htm

'Bernie' I'm surprised did as well as it did, but even more so from 'Jeff, Who Lives At Home' , boxoffice-wise.
Paramount Vantage tends to really pick a select few winners and promote the pudding out of them.

Last edited:
Love Letter directed by Shunji Iwai - 9.5/10
A very sweet drama by Shunji Iwai. It's a great film but Shunji Iwai has done better work. It's incredible how the lead actress played the two main roles and did a great job. Looking back it's cool to compare this film to Maborosi directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda that was released in Japan that same year, they both have a similar theme of a young man's death affecting a woman. I think that Maborosi was the stronger, more spiritual film, yet this one was more uplifting. I love them both, so it'd be fun to watch them both again one day. I should also mention that Love Letter has some of the best winter cinematography I have ever seen, it's so beautiful :)

Big Fish -- 4.5/5
Admittedly I haven't 'Dark Shadows' or the feature length version of 'Frankenweenie' yet, but after repeated viewing I really think this is Tim Burton's best film. It's certainly my favourite of his anyway, and that's saying something because I LOVE 'Batman Returns' and 'Ed Wood'.

Dark Shadows was insultingly bad. Don't waste your time on it.

Frankenweenie isn't anything spectacular. It's incredibly similar to all of his other animated films. While it's entertaining, it's nothing that great.

Ed Wood, Sweeney Todd, and Big Fish would have to be my three favorite films by him.

Wow iron man 3 was just terrible. awful.

butch cassidy and the sundance kid was much better, and i'm not really a western guy

Blancanieves. Too unsure what to rate it. I guess a B, but that seems somehow unfair. I wanna say it's pure cinema, whatever that might mean. I don't think I can say I loved it or even liked it all that much. No, there is much to like in it. So anyway, I'd say that anyone who loves cinema should probably give this a try.

Twixt. Oh boy, another one I'm not too sure what to think of. I appreciate the effort. Love the casting, performance, and wardrobe for Edgar Allan Poe. Always like Val Kilmer. Take a little Lynch, add a bit of camp (not usually my thing), a helping of
Room 1408
, a touch of Sin City, some other mystery ingredients, and that pretty much sums it up. I hate to give a FFC film only a C, but that might have to be it.

Sleeping Beauty (2011). It's an interesting film. Nicely made. Some gorgeous lighting. Fine acting. Could Emily Browning be any more lovely? Looks like there's a lot of contempt for it. But as usual with this sort of thing, the hate says more about the haters than anything about the film. Probably a B.

Fantasia produced by Walt Disney - 10/10
Simply a masterpiece! This is the best Disney film I've ever seen! Every segment has its charms and I think nearly all of them are perfect, especially the ending which is possibly the most spiritual scene I have ever seen in cinema.

Super Mario Bros 1993
2/5

I watched that again recently too (hadn't seen it since childhood) It definitely wasn't as good as I remember, feel like they could have done a lot more with it. Did it even have the Mario music in it???

"Annie Hall" - Woody Allen. 35mm projection

Absolutely brilliant!

Such a good film. Love Christopher Walken's character.

Fantasia produced by Walt Disney - 10/10
Simply a masterpiece! This is the best Disney film I've ever seen! Every segment has its charms and I think nearly all of them are perfect, especially the ending which is possibly the most spiritual scene I have ever seen in cinema.

Really?
I tried to watch it recently but couldn't get into it. The introduction and the first song kind of bored me. Maybe I should've stuck with it. On your glowing recommendation I'll give it another crack. :)

Really?
I tried to watch it recently but couldn't get into it. The introduction and the first song kind of bored me. Maybe I should've stuck with it. On your glowing recommendation I'll give it another crack. :)

Well, although I love the first song, it is very different from the rest of the film since it is more abstract. If you prefer watching segments with narrative you'll probably like the The Sorcerer's Apprentice segment. One thing I love about the film is that it has a lot of variety in the choice of the music, the narrative style, and the tone of each segment.

Although I love Fantasia as a whole, I think that some people would rather watch each segment individually as short films.

If you don't like classical music, it may not be the best film to watch but if I were you I'd at least give The Sorcerer's Apprentice a watch. If anything, watch the final segment just because it's so beautiful. Fantasia may not be for everyone, but I think there are some great images that will stay with everyone who watches it, if that makes sense. :)

Take The Money And Run directed by Woody Allen - 8.5/10
Such a fun and hilarious film. I really just enjoyed it a lot and look forward to watching more of Woody Allen's work.

The Water Magician directed by Kenji Mizoguchi - 9.5/10
One of the best silent films I've ever seen. The benshi narration in the version I watched really enhanced the experience for me, I wish all silent films had a narrator this way. The melodrama is perfectly paced and it is actually subtle for the most part. I am surprised by the cinematography in this film, just how stellar it is compared to other silent films. My only complaint is the ending, well only the last minute and a half or so which is weakened by the fact that it is just narration over some images (long takes would've improved the ending).

Last edited:
"Prisoners" - Denis Villeneuve 6ish/10

Mainly went to see the cinematography, which was very interesting (what else would you expect from R.Deakins). I think they missed an opportunity to make a very high impact cut in one of the scenes imho,and had a very beautiful shot followed by a cliché reveal with a sound effect. :(

I am not a big fan of Seven or Zodiac, but if you are you will love Prisoners. I just was not emotionally moved by it.

Iron Man 3 What a stinker. This movie was absolutely terrible

Star Trek Into Darkness pretty good movie, a little slow toward the end but 3/5

Hangover 3 Much funnier and more original than the second. not as good as the first but i really liked t

The Shining directed by Stanley Kubrick - 10/10
Wow, just wow! This is my first Kubrick film and I am just stunned. There is so much I can say about this film, so I'll just say that it has perfect storytelling and some of the best use of a moving camera I've ever seen. I look forward to watching more of Kubrick's films.

The Shining directed by Stanley Kubrick - 10/10
Wow, just wow! This is my first Kubrick film and I am just stunned. There is so much I can say about this film, so I'll just say that it has perfect storytelling and some of the best use of a moving camera I've ever seen. I look forward to watching more of Kubrick's films.

One of the greatest, if not the greatest horror film I've ever seen.

The film's slow winding pacing, complex and haunting score, and unforgettable score makes it one of the most timeless and well done films of it's genre. If you liked The Shining, you will love his other work. I can still see the final shot of the film...

One of the greatest, if not the greatest horror film I've ever seen.

The film's slow winding pacing, complex and haunting score, and unforgettable score makes it one of the most timeless and well done films of it's genre. If you liked The Shining, you will love his other work. I can still see the final shot of the film...

I love this film, and yes especially its pacing. However, I prefer the final shot of Repulsion to the one here, they're very similar but Repulsion's ending is at once enigmatic, revealing, and creepy. The Shining's last shot is great, but I don't feel it's as effective. I'm actually torn over which one is my favorite horror film, I love Repulsion's nightmarish quality that haunts me even more than The Shining. However, I can't say any horror film ever scared me simply by using the word "Tuesday" LOL. Their both perfect in their filmmaking but I prefer The Shining's pacing a bit more. I think I'll say that The Shining is the better film, but Repulsion was a more horrifying experience for me (esp. since it was less reliant on music for scares).

Go For Sisters - 9/10

I saw this latest from John Sayles last night in NYC - terrific movie. Well written, directed, & acted with some people who you'll (probably) recognize, such as Edward James Olmos & Hector Olizondo, but most you probably don't know.

The Grace Card 3/10
Turned it off after being beat over the head with obvious Christian propaganda via dysfunctional situation with an obvious outcome - so why endure everything between here and the final outcome?
BAM!
This isn't entertainment, and I'm already good w/ Christianity, so...

What got me interested in this was the budget/revenue difference: $0.2m/2.4m.
That's pretty darn good in the limited release film world where most limited theatrically released films make only 12% of their guesstimated production budget.

Upon a little more investigation it seems there was a whole lotta volunteer work to make that fantastical low production budget.
I'm very much impressed with the director/producer's abilities to wrangle what is possibly around another $200k in value.

It released in a lot of theaters due to the Christian theme, the collective reviews were Meh... (35% approval @ RT), but it made bank which is pretty impressive to me. More impressive than the film product in entertainment value. Ha!
I already understand the "forgive and be kind" stuff. Thank you. I'm full. :)

Last edited:
Back