movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise:

I'm a really big fan of dazed and confused and I saw he directed this too. I'm not really into romances but this was a pretty damn good movie. The cinematography is really beautiful (I want to go to Vienna now), the acting is believable, It's just a good story that you feel could have actually happened. I feel like the movie Lost in translation basically stole the script and put it in Tokyo.

Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins:

I don't know why it took me so long to get around to watching this. I LOVED Audition and Ichi the Killer. Those movies are so over the top, they're really just a blast to watch. 13 Assassins did not disappoint one bit, It was great. The first hour is a little boring but you hit that 1 hour mark and BAM! you get to see 13 guys fuck up an entire army of samurai. It's just beautiful. I would honestly say just skip to 1:13 and watch it to the end; all you need to know is that the guy they're trying to kill is a POS these guys are gonna fight to the death to get to him.

Kevin Smith's Red State:

I really liked Red State for one reason and one reason only: Michael Parks. That guy was the only reason this movie was good. He did the best crazy preacher I've ever seen. I could've gone without the gunfight in the end but overall it's worth it to see Michael Parks being awesome. His best performance since Kill Bill easily.

Mission Impossible 4:Ghost protocol

3.5/5
A typical MI film.Action movie lovers are going to have a blast.The ending was quite sophisticated.Needless to say,Tom Cruise was the show stealer.A great 1 time watch.

Hugo 3D

The 3D was great, as a still shot & opening. Not as astonishing as Avatar in some respects. Overall movie was fun. Very movie-ish. Relaxed pace. Station Inspector bit too goofy.

9/10

Saw Breaking Dawn last night with my girlfriend. I was surprised at the special effects, I was very impressed. Acting was still meh, some actors have gotten a little better.

7/10

Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins:

I don't know why it took me so long to get around to watching this. I LOVED Audition and Ichi the Killer. Those movies are so over the top, they're really just a blast to watch. 13 Assassins did not disappoint one bit, It was great. The first hour is a little boring but you hit that 1 hour mark and BAM! you get to see 13 guys fuck up an entire army of samurai. It's just beautiful. I would honestly say just skip to 1:13 and watch it to the end; all you need to know is that the guy they're trying to kill is a POS these guys are gonna fight to the death to get to him.

You can tell we've got different taste in films. I'd say watch until 1:13 and then quit. All you need to know is that pretty much everyone dies.

RUBBER - 7/10

Great shots/visuals. Excellent satire. Enjoyable twists that make it different from most other films (it is difficult to be completely original these days, but this movie tries really hard, and comes close). It felt stretched a little too thin overall, but still worth a watch.

Megamind - 6/10
Meh... it had a few good extreme pratfalls in it, and the twists were fairly well conceived, but the overall effect was less than good childish entertainment.

Midnight in Paris. 4 out of 5 stars, I suppose.

Loved it.

Some people have complainde that the literary and artist idols are caricatures. I would say instead that they are archetypal. But, really, neither of those are exactly fair. It's probably something more like in between. And, I think there's an adequate amount of humanity in their portrayals. The balance seemed fine to me.

Excellant cast. Owen Wilson of course. And there's hardly a more lovely actress working today than Marion Cotillard.
Who doesn't want to journey back to 1920s Paris and fall in love with her?
And I loved Adrian Brody as Salvador Daley.
Oh, he made me laugh. It was a nice and unexpected pick-me-up.

Last edited:
Beowulf & Grendel - 5.5/10
Kinda slow but interesting character development beyond what I vaguely recall is in the actual poem.

Beowulf - 5/10
If it weren't for any rumor of Angelina Jolie's pre-anorexia computer simulated nudity in this film it would have gone nowhere.
However, when viewed back to back with "the other" Beowulf film, the two make for an interesting observation on different directors' approaches to precisely the same material, neither regurgitating it verbatim.

The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo (2011) - 5/10
The only people that would like this are those who haven't seen the 2009 film, which I thought was some better.
I will not be watching either of the inevitable two remakes.
Again, see above note on the differences in two directors' approaches to the exact same material.

P.S. - The best thing about this remake was the opening credits! Ha! It was pretty cooooool!

Super 8 - 6/10
Yeah, JJAbrams might have directed this, but make no mistake, this is a classic SSpielberg flick.
Shots, story, music, everything.
It's okay. They kinda tried to mash too much sh!t into one story, though.

Kill the Irishman - 6/10
Fair enough docu-drama on the guy that lead to the downfall of Cosa Nostra.

Clash of the Titans (2010) - 5/10
Yeah. This is where SFX can't make up for a so-so story.
Each of the fantastical characters had such brief appearances that it looks like they threw them in there purely for toy merchandising purposes.
And yet again, see note above about different directors' approaches to the same material.
The "I refuse help from the Gods that killed my [mortal] family" thing was nice.

It will be interesting to see what the "Wrath of the Titans" sequel brings to the table: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHHPPX6dnYU&feature=related

Underworld (2003) - 7/10
This is a nice blending of two different mythologies from vastly diverse origins into a single commonality.
I get oversaturated with the excessive literal darkness of the film, but otherwise it's a well made story.

Underworld: Evolution - 5/10
At 2X the budget the story becomes 2/3 as good.

It will also be interesting to see what the fourth installment brings, UNDERWORLD AWAKENING: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcrbUCWKQc

The Eagle - 4/10
This is my future in film fear: To achieve fair enough cinematography and acting - yet not recognize that I have a cr@p story to apply them to despite studio/producer approval.
I turned it off after 30 minutes.
I just didn't care about brooding boy-man.

Last edited:
The Net (Sandra Bullock) - 6/10 I like to watch it every now and then to see the good ole days.

Alexandra's Project - 3/10 Just a stupid premise. Not much else to say.

The Caveman's Valentine (Sam. Jackson) - 6/10 Pretty good but predictable.

From Russia with Love (Connery) - 7/10 Not the strongest Bond film, but I'm a fan.

Seraphim Falls - 5/10 Kinda cliche all the way through, ends on a weird note.

Blitz - 1/10 Didn't finsh it.

Gothika - 7/10 Pretty cool. They telegraphed most of the movie, for me anyway.

Downfall - 4/10 Just plain boring, if not historically accurate.

Nine Dead - 5/10 SO improbable that they could solve the riddle that it made it unbelievable.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2009) - 8/10 I really like her character. The story is probably a little slow for most but I dig it.

The Girl...Nest - 7/10 Both of the sequels aren't quite as good as dragon, but I did enjoy them.

The Gir...Fire - 7/10

Last edited:
Back