movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

You mean the Talking Heads concert film?

Yes. Fantastic, no?

I have it on VHS. I'll eventually upgrade to DVD/BlueRay.

My wife was friendly with Chris and Tina (husband & wife who were drummer and bass player for T-Heads) back in the mid/late '70's; they lived in the loft over my father-in-laws shop. I got to meet them a few times, went to few of their parties (met LOTS of big names) and they would give us tickets to their shows. Very cool, down to earth people. David Byrne was quite eccentric, but nice enough.

The Innkeepers - Kind of a throw back horror film. It's not a modern, scare a minute, but it definitely has its moments. Plus the score by Jeff Grace is incredible. It's really worth checking out.

The Last Exorcism Part II

I enjoyed the first film and thought that for a found footage style film it did a good job in making you forget you were watching one. It didn't try to make you believe what you were seeing was real, they created characters that were portrayed so well that the actor became the character.

For the sequel instead of going the Paranormal Activity route in telling the story as another found footage film they went for a traditional horror film feel. But what I like about this sequel is that the found footage of the first film is incorporated into this story and is actually a viral video of what happened to Nell. I found this to be a good way to treat the footage from the original.

Nell has no memory of what happened to her. Throughout the film she is experiencing things she never has before in being able to explore, to hear music she's never heard before, to actually have friends that she's never had before.

Of course this new found peace is short lived as the demon who possessed Nell in the original film, Abalam, is still after Nell and wants her soul. The scenes of horror in this movie are executed well and the effects used are effective, and combined with the music and sound it creates a great feel and sound to the whole film.

I will admit that some of these occurrences are what you would see in many other horror films so if you don't like seeing things that have been done before you might not enjoy this film as much. I think that it is a film that takes what was in the original, honors it, and moves forward with the character of Nell so that we as an audience can get to know her better and see her in a way we've never seen her before.

I won't ruin the ending but I will say that if you're someone who likes things to end a certain way for certain people then I don't know what you will make of the ending.

Overall I would rate this film an 8/10 because it is an effective horror film, it delivers the goods in terms of atmosphere, effects, sound and music, and if you enjoyed the first film you may find yourself enjoying this one too because it builds upon what was established in the first film while introducing a few new elements.

My Blueberry Nights directed by Wong Kar-Wai - 6.5/10
Eh, I have mixed feelings about this film. Wong Kar-Wai's style is awesome as always, but sometimes I feel its used excessively in scenes where slo-mo isn't required for example. I like the way the film has many short stories, but I never felt really connected with the characters. I wanted to love this film, but it just isn't as heartachingly beautiful as Wong's other works. I think the film has some truly beautiful moments and a few that could be but weren't built up enough. I think the film is worth a viewing for Wong fans, but others should start elsewhere. I kind of empathize with the film a bit because I felt I knew what Wong was thinking while wanting to tell this story, but I think it still stands out as a beautiful failure in his filmography.

Kick-ass 2

2/5
Bad writing, bad directing, and not the greatest acting.. this movie started out imitating fight club, then it became sucker punch, then it became mean girls. It's like the creators have watched a bunch of films but have no idea how to make one of their own.

the 2 stars (1 is lowest rating) is because the red mist dude was funny and a great character. and the production values were good (i.e. i liked some of the stunt work) and the dog in a mask was great too.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) directed by Alfred Hitchcock - 10/10
This early Hitchcock film is extremely engaging and proves that Hitchcock was a master filmmaker even before coming to Hollywood. The film has a great simple plot, great performances, and a lot of suspense. At 75 minutes this is a great concise film that any Hitchcock fan should watch!

The Last Temptation Of Christ directed by Martin Scorsese - 8.5/10
I wanted to love this film more but it was a bit too long, and I felt it could've one further in its spiritual exploration of the struggles Christ faced as a man. Being a Christian, I didn't find this film offensive at all, I saw it as a genuine spiritual challenge that should be embraced. The cinematography here is great, most of the performances are great, and there are some genuinely moving scenes. I think had the film been a little shorter and had a bit more profound spiritual moments this could've been one of my favorite films of all-time! I will re-watch this film some time though, I think that it will grow on me after I watch some more of Scorsese's work and come back to it.

Last edited:
The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn.

I enjoyed watching this one again. The entire film is a wonderful experience. There are many funny moments, especially some absurdity in scenes like Thomson and Thompson investigating a pickpocket to come into contact with him not only once but twice, and on the second occasion still not realizing the man they are talking to is the pickpocket. That scene reminds me of the absurd humor found in Monty Python.

This movie really opened my imagination to the possibilities with the technology used to be utilized to adapt certain video game franchises into films, that would benefit greatly from being in animated form.

This film was such a joy to watch even on repeat viewings and I cannot wait until Peter Jackson starts production on the sequel, after The Hobbit: There and Back Again is released.

I finally got to see All is Lost¨ the Robert Redord movie last night. WHen first released there was a flury of positive aclaim,but now I see why the film was not nominated . The acting is first class and the visual effect is good. The film is predictable. You know from the begining what is going to happen;Rent a DVD

Only Lovers are left Alive. The new Tilda Swinton -Vamprire movie as though we have not seen plenty in the past. She,her husband and John Hurt porytray ¨humane¨blood suckers by purchasing their blood supply at least in most cases of thirst. The movie is slow going and truely is a B movie. Tilda and her husband in one scene are in the fully monty,but without revealing any turf. Rent it!

Last edited:
Gauche the Cellist directed by Isao Takahata - 9/10
A great pre-Ghibli film by one of anime's masters. Its blend of a simple story, beautiful images, and powerful use of classical music make it a simple masterpiece in my opinion. I wish that Disney would try to distribute Miyazaki's and Takahata's pre-Ghibli works since they are awesome.

Brokeback Mountain directed by Ang Lee - 8.5/10
A very very beautiful romantic drama, I love the landscapes in this film and the performances. I think it's a great film but I never connected too deeply with the characters, and felt that the start of their romance was contrived. Either way, once the story swept me up there was no escaping.

Back