What would you do?

Just curious how others on here might react in the following situation:

A few years back I got hooked up with a zero-budget filmmaker in Portland (about 100 miles from me). She was putting together a feature and had advertised on Craigslist for volunteer crew. I didn't have any other projects going at the time so I got in touch with her.

We met up in Portland and seemed to get along pretty well. I told her I'd shoot for her as long as she could find me a gaffer. She said she had one lined up already and introduced me. He was great; couldn't wait to work with him.

At my own expense I made several trips to Portland and scouted locations with the director (she had no car, so I drove). I asked what she had lined up for lighting/grip gear. She had none. I told her I had a small package I would rent to her at a substantially cut rate. I'd donate my time as DP, but needed something to cover wear and tear on my gear. She agreed.

We shot two weekends. The third weekend, I drove my loaded truck up to Portland, then received a call that the shoot had been canceled. Several more weeks went by and I heard nothing more, so I called her up. At that point she said she didn't want to work with me anymore because everything I'd shot for her had been overexposed and unusable. I couldn't fathom how that could possibly be the case, as I'd had a monitor (my own) on the set and everything had looked great. She insisted, though, so I let it go and told her I'd go ahead and invoice her for the two weekends' gear rental. She denied having agreed to pay for any gear rental and accused me of extortion (her exact word). We had no contract (shame on me), but I had copies of all the e-mails we'd exchanged discussing the matter. Upset, she said she'd pay me when she could.

Out of curiosity I called the gaffer I'd worked with the first two weekends. He informed me that the third weekend's shoot had not been canceled after all. When he'd shown up at the location and asked where I was the director told him I had quit the production; her friend would be shooting instead. When he'd asked what he was supposed to use for equipment, she asked if he had any. He did, but wouldn't let her use it for free. At that point she started crying so he left the set and never went back. When I told him what she'd said about the footage we'd shot he said that was a crock, the footage looked fine.

Fast-forward to present day: Not surprisingly, I've never been paid and never again heard from the director. Out of curiosity, I did a google search and found out she finally did finish the movie last year. I watched the trailer and, as I suspected, the scenes I shot are in it (they're the only ones that look halfway decent, definitely NOT overexposed). Despite volunteering many hours of time, traveling hundreds of miles at my own expense and providing an equipment package (for free, as it turns out), I was not invited to the premiere and (presumably) did not receive screen credit for my work.

I haven't seen the movie, but it frankly looks like a piece of sh*t. Here's the IMDb listing - judge for yourself: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1617166/

I'm not sure it's worth pursuing, except on principle (the woman is obviously a con artist and I got taken). Would you let it go or raise a stink?

If you've got the time, take it up. It's your material, there's no reason to be treated in such a manner, and simply covering it up as a lack of communication is both cheap and deceitful.

Who says she won't do it again?

If you're talking small-court, it may be costly. Yet there's no harm in getting a quote from a lawyer, see how much it would set you back, compared to the compensation you're likely to receive. It's all hit and miss without contracts, but it's a lousy thing to do that I couldn't let rest.

If you don't get the advice you're looking for within the next few days, I'll ask my brother --He's a lawyer, to see whether he can point you in the right direction.

With the emails stating she would rent your equipment and the per
day (or weekend) rate you could pursue this in small claims court.

I’d do it.

Oh man that would piss me off.

Sad thing is, to pursue it would probably just cost you more time, money and headaches than its worth.

After seeing the trailer for this masterpiece, I would sleep sound knowing you were professional and creatively kind hearted along your path. In the end the scammers meet the same people on the way down as they tried to con on the way up.

-Thanks-

Ouch.

Normally I am not a confrontational kinda guy but if I saw this I would be pretty steamed. If you have the money to follow this all the way through to court, I say go for it. If you want to do something on the the cheap, you might consider contacting on attorney and see about firing off a cease and desist letter...that is if they feel you have a legal leg to stand on.
Beyond that, I would raise all kinds of online heck and give this woman the kind of attention that I am sure she is not looking for.
Good luck.

Well If YOU shot the footage and you can prove it then you should get a lawyer to send her a cease and desist letter. That she cannot use the footage until she pays you. I didn't check out the trailer but if it sucks maybe you don't want your name tied to the movie anyways.

Sometimes though, it's best just to walk away with the lesson learned and no real harm done.

If you go small claims, you could do it yourself without a lawyer. You would have to check the fee and they would send you the form to fill out.

As much as it would suck, I say just swallow hard and move on. Court would be a huge pain to get basically nothing. It also doesn't sound like the movie turned out either. So how much would you really be getting out of the deal?

That's a tough one.

I dunno what I'd do. I 'spose it would depend on how much the rentals came to, I 'spose. After all, she's 100 miles away, and it can take time to go through the hassle. Is the opportunity-cost worth it?

Hmm. Maybe there's a filmmakers' equivalent to a Mechanic's Lien.

Hope you get some satisfaction, either way.

By the way - you should totally add yourself to the correct places on the IMDB listing, at a very minimum. You can do that from your armchair.

What I'd do?

With my connections, blacklist her from all of Hollywood.

For you?

Tough one. That really sucks man. Lesson learned, I guess. Try the small courts claim like Rik says. But, she might start crying in court and based off of her earlier actions and lies, claim you assaulted her.

But, no worries about her. She's not going anywhere, from what I can tell from her trailer. I still don't know what the movie is about...

P.S. the audio sucks hard on the trailer.

Last edited:
A stray cat, a large bar of chocolate laxatives, and access to the interior of her car would be my first choice.

Nothing worse than a pound of liquid cat shit, in my experience.

Last edited:
A stray cat, a large bar of chocolate laxatives, and access to the interior of her car would be my first choice.

Nothing worse than a pound of liquid cat shit, in my experience.

You sir owe me a new cup of tea, after I spat that mouthful back out. *tips hat*

Hey guys, just want to say THANKS for all the advice (and sympathy). Lots of food for thought here.

Since I was only charging her $300 total for both weekends' rental (I thought I was giving her a great deal) I haven't decided whether taking her to small claims is worth the trouble and expense for that amount. The gaffer said he'd stand up for me if it came to that -- he was pissed about being lied to as well (his name isn't on the IMDb listing either, I noticed).

It's mostly a matter of pride, I guess, at having bent over backward to help out a (younger) fellow filmmaker, who then proceeded to turn around and take a colossal dump on me.

Buddy, I hope you're right that karma will out...

It's too bad that neither of you have your name on the movie...

It looks like it's going to surpass 200 million domestic next week...

Was that a Fox logo I saw at the beginning of the trailer?

Dude that dame 'aint goin' nowhere. I guarantee it like the Men's Warehouse guy...

Find a lawyer, preferably through a friend or relative. Then send a cease and desist letter on the attorney's letterhead to her. It would be cool if s/he could actually write it, using big words and claiming absolute proof that you shot the footage in question(which you probably do, either by having the original DV, or by the fact that a lot of digital media has certain info encoded into it).

That'll scare the pants off of this small town girl. Let her reshoot the footage.

You could always do small claims court, but as far as I know, they have no actual way of forcing someone to pay you if they don't have the money. So you could win, but get nothing out of it. :(

Find a lawyer, preferably through a friend or relative. Then send a cease and desist letter on the attorney's letterhead to her. It would be cool if s/he could actually write it, using big words and claiming absolute proof that you shot the footage in question(which you probably do, either by having the original DV, or by the fact that a lot of digital media has certain info encoded into it).

I don't have the footage. It wasn't my camera or tape. I've never even seen the stuff since the days we were on set. She was trying to convince me it was overexposed and unusable, but wouldn't agree to show it to me (now I know why). All I have is the word of the gaffer that worked with me, along with anyone else who was there that'd be willing to stand up for me (though I didn't know any of them, they were friends of hers).

I'm sure I could have those people and the original tapes subpoenaed, but that seems like a huge amount of time/trouble and probable expense to settle a grudge.

Thanks, though. Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I would start drinking, heavily. I would then, while in a continual stupor, spend the next five years of my life cyber-haunting her. I would drag her name through the mud every chance I had until the entire world knew what a worthless douche she was, only to see her rise to fame through my 24/7/365 efforts and become a media darling as the director of the "Worse Film Ever Made". I would then, make a Voodoo Doll of her outta sticks, take it into the woods on a full moon night, and empty my bladder on it.

I would then enter a 90 day rehab and get on with my life.....But that's just me.

Midnite

Back