What to do about this production problem?

I am scheduled to be shooting my first real short in October. My sound man dropped out, and now I have to find a new one. This is exactly what happened in my two previous attempts, the soundman and DP just lost interest, or something better comes up, and they dropped out.

Now I don't want to have to cancel on my actors for the third time (different actors than the last times), cause that will create a bad reputation, after two previous casting calls advertisements. I want to be able to show the people that I can complete a film and I told myself that I couldn't let crew dropping out stop me again. So I will continue to look for a new soundman, and whoever else I need to, if anyone else drops out.

However, I will be getting people on short notice, since the shooting dates are already planned. The more people drop out, the more quicker you have to hire replacements. So what's the best way to handle this problem, now that time is running short? If I cancel again, no one will take my adds seriously anymore, but if I keep the shooting date, I risk showing up with no crew, and having to get the actors to help out with sound, and possibly camera, when they are not on screen.

If my DP stays and it's just the soundman that has quit on me, then perhaps I can just shoot the whole thing without a soundman on set, and get a soundman to redub all the actors dialog in post, along with all the other post sound.

Last edited:
Give some plasma, sell a kidney, collect aluminum cans, or do anything else you can to be able to afford to pay DP and sound guy like $100 a day each. The odds of them dropping out of a paid gig are about 1000 X lower than dropping out of a non-paid gig. It can still happen, but the odds go WAY down.

Well I am acting in every scene. The only other option will be to put out new adds asking for a new actor to replace me and a new sound man, but the auditions are coming up and it's very short notice now. I have practiced with my cam over the past few months, but don't know all the requirements I may need still. I might do something wrong or miss something, same with sound.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

Do you have other things of value you could sell/offer/bribe your crew with? Perhaps the camera after the filming wraps up? Offer it to a DP that will also do sound perhaps?

You ask a question about every little step you take, this is not the way to make a film. Sometimes you have to figure it out and do it!

Figure it out and get it done. Filmmaking is not easy.

Fair enough.

Do you have other things of value you could sell/offer/bribe your crew with? Perhaps the camera after the filming wraps up? Offer it to a DP that will also do sound perhaps?

My cam did cost me a $1000, I don't know! I think the DP is still in so far, hope he stays. The sound man is out though. So perhaps I could do all the actors dialog in ADR afterwards. I hear that the performance doesn't come off as strong, but if it comes it hopefully the actors can finally get it right.

I agree with what everyone else has said so far; find some money to pay your DP and sound guy or better yet, find a good friend to hold your mic for you and you can probably find a way to get things done. Keep a positive attitude and do whatever it takes. Have faith in your abilities. I'll reiterate what has been said before, filmmaking is not easy, and your ability to be flexible in tight situations like this are what show the pros that you have what it takes to bring it to the next level. If filmmaking was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Why wait until October to shoot the short? Especially since this short is your very first time. The longer you wait to film this thing the higher the likelihood that people will drop out (esp. since it's not paid). I suggest not to act in your own film since it's been hard for you to find crew. I'd find new crew and start immediately. Get your feet wet. You can do longer pre-production once you get established and more contacts. But.... gooo dooo it nowwwww :)

Yeah I could find a friend to hold the mic. Hopefully I won't have to ask a friend to hold the camera. I will have to teach a friend to adjust the audio on the recorder and I'm still learning that myself, compared to what a sound person would know though. Do you think this is a better idea, then getting a new soundman to record all the dialog in post later?

Last edited:
Go do a remake of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVTw2w6MiFw
I don't think you'll need a sound guy.
But make it "actiony: so your DP will have something to do.

GL& GB! :)

Actually, I think for Halloween we should all do our own versions of Sasquatch Birth Journal 2!

you could see if any of your actors wouldn't mind taking on extra rolls if they have the skill to do it. DP might be a tough one, but not undoable. I guess it really depends on who you're working with.

Is there anything specific you want done with the sound? If not, just get a friend to hold the microphone. Start to learn now how your sound equipment works (don't be lazy.) Then pass your knowledge onto your mate.

Promise your DP you'll reward in some way if you can't pay him. This will interest him. Also stay in contact with him regularly so he doesn't lose interest.

I personally would use the audition time to find a replacement for your role. Or someone to be a backup to your role, just in case everything falls through.

Use your initiative.

Okay. Yes I will do whatever it takes to get it made. Hopefully the desperate decision making won't lead to too bad of progress as desperation often does. There's nothing fancy I want done with the sound. Just recorded clear and well. I am going for the documentary style thriller type film feel, so nothing too fancy or stylish. I'll see if I can get a friend to aim the mics and record. I have been practicing with my equipment but I'm still not sure if I'm doing it right or not. After I am done the film I can post it on here before sending it to any festivals or anything like that.

Then if it turns out the sound is bad, perhaps I can find a new soundman to do ADR with the actors afterwords, if that's a good plan B.

I am typing this very seriously and with no mal-intent(is that a word?): If you ask questions to your crew like you do here, I can see why they quit. If you don't then disregard. If you do..... Your crew is not there to teach you. You need to tell them what you want and let them do their job.

I really think you have a bad case of over thinking everything. .

You are not in a bad situation. Someone quit. Big deal. You have a month!

If you were on set this would be a bigger deal but even then you shouldn't freak out. Sh*t happens, and the show must go on.

your first film will suck,
embrace the suckage
Its cheaper then film school.

Make it fun for everyone involved,
and NEXT movie you will have lots of help and youll be "an experienced film maker"

Back