What new films would you INSIST are masterpieces?

Everyone list movies that you would vehemently defend as being masterpieces of the 21st century. It may be one movie or several but you MUST pick films that you absolutely believe WILL be considered classics in the future. The purpose of this is to encourage somebody who may have watched a film and decided it was bad to give it another shot in the hope that it will grow on them. Please do your best to really think about the list that you make - give it a lot of thought. Here's my list of films that I initially hated and then grew to love (now I consider them to be masterpieces):

Before Sunset
Black Hawk Down
Che
Dancer in the Dark
Dogville
Elephant
The Fountain
Kings & Queen
Munich
Waking Life

I've seen other underrated films that I would defend as being masterpieces but for now I'll just leave you guys with this list of the ones that I hated at first.

Last edited:
LA Confidential

Platoon

The Shining

Star Wars 1,2,3,6

Scarface

Glengarry,Glenross

Wall Street

Swimming with Sharks

Happy Gilmore

12 Monkeys

Spartacus

The Matrix

Fight Club

Office Space

Pulp Fiction

Aliens

District 9

LOTR

Sixth Sense

Last edited:
Everyone list movies that you would vehemently defend as being masterpieces of the 21st century.
Am I missing the point of this list? I see movies from the 20th
century listed.

are you asking for a list of movie made in the 21st century or
for movies made anytime that will be considered masterpieces
during the 21st century?

Am I missing the point of this list? I see movies from the 20th
century listed.

are you asking for a list of movie made in the 21st century or
for movies made anytime that will be considered masterpieces
during the 21st century?

I wondered about this also, but noticed that OP was using 20th century films in his list.

I think this discussion should be limited to films from the last two or three years.

Films like 8 1/2 and and Apocalypse Now.... how are they not considered masterpieces? It might not have been the OPs intention but we should be focusing on films that will be considered masterpieces in 10, 20, 30 years time.

Back