movies What is your favorite obscure movie that most people don’t know about?

“ I <3 huckabees “ It’s about people having an existential identity crisis. It has an All-Star cast, but for some reason a lot of people have never heard of it. And those that do know it either love it or hate it; there’s no one between.

Attachments

• IMG_6125.jpeg
    IMG_6125.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 13
Oh I haven't heard about huckabee's since it came out, and I never watched it.

There's lots of movies i could list, I'll go with The Drop, james gandalfini's final film.

The Drop What GIF by Searchlight Pictures

It's half crime thriller, half animal rescue, starring Tom Hardy

Tom Hardy Dog GIF
Oh I haven't heard about huckabee's since it came out, and I never watched it.

There's lots of movies i could list, I'll go with The Drop, james gandalfini's final film.

The Drop What GIF by Searchlight Pictures

It's half crime thriller, half animal rescue, starring Tom Hardy

Tom Hardy Dog GIF
I’ve never heard of this film…Tom Hardy with a puppy, I’m sold. I’ll have to check it out.

WGW_World_Gone_Wild.jpg

One of my favs. Did very poorly when it came out in '88. I saw it because I
had (have) a crush on Catherine Mary Stewart and the bad guy was Adan Ant.

I have it on VHS and the only DVD/Blu-ray I've seen is a German release.

Obscure enough?

A 1992 French dark comedy called "MAN BITES DOG". IMDB says: A film crew follows a ruthless thief and heartless killer as he goes about his daily routine. But complications set in when the film crew lose their objectivity and begin lending a hand. I have a VHS of it, but just found an HD copy on youtube. (click here)

Last edited:
Maybe only obscure to people born after the 80s, but “Something Wicked This Way Comes”. There was a short period in the early 80s that Disney ventured into some pretty dark territory. A lot of those films have been trapped in the vault for 20-30 years, and Disney seem to want people to forget that they even happened. This one is live-action, starring Jonathan Pryce and Jason Robards. It’s creepy and dark, and way out of character for Disney. But it’s a good one.

“The Black Cauldron” came about in this era as well, and scared the crap out of me as a kid. It had been hidden away for a very long time, but is actually available on streaming now. Definitely another one to check out.

And one that just hit its 40th anniversary… “The Last Starfighter”. This one doesn’t get much attention these days, but I know there’s a hardcore fan base out there. Lance Guest, Robert Preston, Catherine Mary Stewart (@directorik), and Dan O’Herlihy.

This movie was everything when I was a kid. The CGI is quite dated at this point, but was mind-blowing at the time, at least for us young’ns. Still a great film worth watching,

“Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada.”

I'm proud to note that (so far) I know all the movies mentioned.

I have Man Bites Dog on VHS (and saw it in a theater). Haven't seen
The Drop in a long time but I remember really liking it. And Last Starfighter
is a favorite of mine. Preston's last film. I went to the premiere of
Something This Way Comes as the guest of Harlan Ellison - a friend
of Bradbury.

Maybe only obscure to people born after the 80s, but “Something Wicked This Way Comes”. There was a short period in the early 80s that Disney ventured into some pretty dark territory. A lot of those films have been trapped in the vault for 20-30 years, and Disney seem to want people to forget that they even happened. This one is live-action, starring Jonathan Pryce and Jason Robards. It’s creepy and dark, and way out of character for Disney. But it’s a good one.

“The Black Cauldron” came about in this era as well, and scared the crap out of me as a kid. It had been hidden away for a very long time, but is actually available on streaming now. Definitely another one to check out.
I remember the movie poster of this film and can't recall a thing about it except that I thought it was scary as a kid. I'll have to dig this one up and see if it resurfaces any repressed childhood traumas.

And one that just hit its 40th anniversary… “The Last Starfighter”. This one doesn’t get much attention these days, but I know there’s a hardcore fan base out there. Lance Guest, Robert Preston, Catherine Mary Stewart (@directorik), and Dan O’Herlihy.

This movie was everything when I was a kid. The CGI is quite dated at this point, but was mind-blowing at the time, at least for us young’ns. Still a great film worth watching,

“Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada.”
OMG, so nostalgic! I haven't seen that movie in decades.

I remember the movie poster of this film and can't recall a thing about it except that I thought it was scary as a kid. I'll have to dig this one up and see if it resurfaces any repressed childhood traumas.
It scared the crap out of me when I saw it in the early/mid 80s. The guillotine haunted me for years. Probably still does, though repressed.

Back