suggestion What do you want to see?

"Discord is an American VoIP, instant messaging and digital distribution platform designed for creating communities. Users communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media and files in private chats or as part of communities called "servers." Servers are a collection of persistent chat rooms and voice chat channels"
I personally would avoid discord because as stupid as it can sound, it can easily kill a forum. I have seen a forum where users stopped going on the website platform and started to use only discord because they felt more comfortable on discord. It's just a point of view and maybe what I am saying is not super smart but I would avoid discord although it's a very nice platform. :)

I took a screen and added annotations so you guys can see how discord work :)

For example here, I created a server so that my friends and I can watch movies together since we are all stuck at home.

Attachments

• tempsnip.png
    tempsnip.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
If everyone had VR headsets we could watch stuff in a cinema tg.
Cool way to premiere your own stuff. Sucks the HMD aren't more mainstream yet. mostly due to resolution issues imo

fwiw i prefer forum interface over chat rooms like discord.

Last edited:
Chat rooms and real-time sharing platforms are great ... when you're in the same virtual time and space, but it's also a great way of excluding people who can't join in, either because they're 12 hours out of synch, or because they have other commitments in the real world. The relatively static nature of a forum (such as this) is that it allows for catching up on several different discussions in one session, and the chance to contribute to a discussion that hasn't necessarily reached its conclusion, even if the last post was more than a week ago.

Chat rooms and real-time sharing platforms are great ... when you're in the same virtual time and space, but it's also a great way of excluding people who can't join in, either because they're 12 hours out of synch, or because they have other commitments in the real world. The relatively static nature of a forum (such as this) is that it allows for catching up on several different discussions in one session, and the chance to contribute to a discussion that hasn't necessarily reached its conclusion, even if the last post was more than a week ago.
that's a very good point too!

FWIW there are bags of filmmaking Discords. There are tonnes of filmmaking subreddits. There are literally thousands of filmmaking Facebook groups.

Indietalk is its own thing, and I like that it's still an old fashioned forum. This has some advantages – the proliferation of spam content here is very low compared with most FB and Reddit groups, and, as IT says, there's a really good level of trust within the community (you very quickly know whose advice to take on different subjects) – and I think it's really good that it's still a thriving community for the people who may not want to move over to Discord or whatever. The reality is that there's nothing to stop anyone setting up a 'Indietalk Filmmakers' Discord anyway, and siphoning people away (either intentionally or unintentionally) but I'm not sure that it will enhance the experience of Indietalk as we know it.

And I've been here long enough to remember (I think!) when we did have an integrated real-time chat room. Is that right?

I have a new idea of how to use the gallery. It's only for tutorials and instructional videos so it is more of a curated repository, and the narrative shorts, trailers, and such, are posted on the forum (in a category I have yet to create, but it will have thumbs up and down like youtube). More info later but I think this model works. The forum is best for the new works, and the gallery is best when seeking something out, so it can be a good place to look up "how to do this" etc. Since YT is full of great tutes that allow you to share/embed we can create our own little organized section with categories etc.
Great idea! Excited for it

Last edited:
Looking for new ideas on how to improve the site and your experience. Hit me!

Being so new here I'm not sure if this is where I should ask this question, or it may have been suggested before......Could you (IndieTalk?) add a new category (Like Welcome, Screenwriting, etc.) called:

Fun Facts & Trivia

There may be a category like this already, I'm just not sure....But here are a few fun fact questions or trivia that could be posted with one voluntary requirement...please no research or Googling allowed.....just reply with your best, honest guess....and one could ask one question or several questions or fun facts per post....Here are a few fun fact questions:

1. How many songs were played in the movie Forrest Gump? The answer in a week.

2. What was the last (most recent) motion picture that won an Academy Award for best picture that was rated PG? The answer in a week.

3. And I like this one, which is a little tricky, I saw the movie and did some research.....Paraphrasing from Wikipedia: 'In just 4 years, this musical group scored more top 10 hits than Elvis Presley and the Beatles did in their careers" name this musical group. The answer in a week.

They need not all be questions....some could just post interesting facts about music, films, writers, movies stars, or just anything in the entertainment business....I've read so many interesting facts about how movies were made, by whom, and what famous actors turned down blockbuster movie roles and instead chose to star in movies that turned out to be total box office flops.....to me, it's all very interesting.

For those who read IndieTalk, most are not members, but guests..... and sharing this information could help readers to make decisions (or choices) in their own careers....or could encourage guests to become members in order to post trivia questions and answers themselves.

I just read that the new movie West Side Story (directed by Steven Spielberg) had about a $40 million loss, (but it may be better now)....but on the other hand, I read that Paranormal Activity and Jackass:The Movie both made millions and millions in profits......it might be fun to know why.

Why is it important to know how many songs are played in a movie?.....Because many may not realize how music (or songs) are such an important role in the success of a movie.

Just a suggestion...there's almost an endless amount of trivia out there.....and it might be fun :)

Last edited:
Back