what do you think is the most important factor in making a good movie?

what do you think is the most important quality in a good movie or TV series?
is it a good story? but what if it has a good story but bad cinematography... or good cinematography but a bad story?

Story - but within certain limitations.

Any given audience will forgive all sorts of silly plot holes and non sequiturs.
Too often they don't care.
It just has to be an interesting premise with engaging characters.
Fancy track/jib/steadycam/helicopter/CGI laden shots are not demanded.
Decent enough acting and framing/blocking are appreciated.
SD/HD/3D doesn't really matter.
Poor, mumbly audio is a definite deal breaker. Spend a respectable amount of attention in your audio department.

story outweighs cinematography any day... that's why most people can't stand Michael Bay films.

Yet Michael Bay films still bring in a ton of money at the box office ;)

If the cinematography is really horrible I won't watch it even if the story is great. For example, the TV show "Southland". Horrible camera work, great story lines, but I won't watch them for very long.

I'll watch something with crappy video if it sounds good AND the story is interesting. But I'm not a very visually focused person. As long as I can hear everything clearly, and the story is WORTH hearing, I'll keep going.

I was a fan of radio dramas when I was little, so I'm definitely have to be able to HEAR it. To me, if I can hear it, I can see it.

(And some Michael Bay films are his fault and some aren't. The latter two of the Transformers films I KNOW weren't his fault entirely. Ehren Kruger has to be my least favorite screenwriter in Hollywood. His script changes ruined what could have been a horror hit last year, and his writing for Transformers doesn't say much either.)

I think sound and story matter the most.

story outweighs cinematography any day... that's why most people can't stand Michael Bay films.

Clearly. Poor guy. I don't know how he musters the strength to keep on doing it.

RealJB, I'm glad you've figured out that there are only two factors in filmmaking -- story and cinematography. All that other silly stuff like acting, and sound design, and music, and editing, and oh nevermind -- I don't have time to list all the other things that don't matter.

;)

It ALL matters. Everything is important.

I like Michael Bay films but I can agree that some could use better stories. People like Micheal Bay because he can really make a great action film and his special effect are amazing. Those things can outweigh some of his flaws in those films.

Anyways, I think acting has to be on top of the list with sound and story. Editing is pretty important too. Cracker Funk is right everything is important.

Last edited:
As a redoubled cynic, I will say neither is as important as attaching a name. A movie is only good if people see it. You can make the dumbest, most plainly-shot movie in the universe, but attach a star and people will probably flock to it.

I've made 2 features with good stories and good cinematography (not trying to be arrogant - others here will attest to this, I think). But are they good movies? No names = no distribution. No distribution = no audience. No audience = nobody gives a shit. Nobody gives a shit = not a good movie, bottom line. :(

It's really hard to pick what is the most important to me, because any of the other elements can ruin it.

A great story is incredibly important, but bad sound and cinematography can ruin it quick. Bad acting can also kill a good story.

On the other hand, great acting along with great cinematography and sound can make a bad story better or at least tolerable.

honestly, if the film sets a goal and meets that goal, then it is good... if it wanted to make people cry and it did, it is good... if it wanted people to laugh and they did, it is good...

however, if it wanted to make people laugh at every joke and people laughed at one, then it did not succeed, therefore it is not good.

So I guess the most important thing is to make people who watch your genre LIKE the film or series, but then you can't please everybody, so at least make something YOU like.

make something YOU like.

I've fallen for that old chestnut one too many times. I've only made movies that I like. Distribs say, "Good movie. Not easily marketable. Needs more stars, more action, more sex & violence, blood & guts, T & A -- preferably all of the above."

If that happens to be the kind of movie you like and you're in a position to make one, you'll be set!

After doing three short films I have to say the single most important thing is the story/script. With a good solid story the acting, cinematography, sound, editing all of the other stuff should be easier to accomplish. To me the hardiest thing is finding a great story to work from. Once a great story is found then it's easier to translate that into film (or digital video). :)

Recording sound, pictures and editing is the fun part.

At the end of the day if all of the elements of making a movie work correctly then the finished movie will be great. The story seems to be the most important factor.

I've fallen for that old chestnut one too many times. I've only made movies that I like. Distribs say, "Good movie. Not easily marketable. Needs more stars, more action, more sex & violence, blood & guts, T & A -- preferably all of the above."

If that happens to be the kind of movie you like and you're in a position to make one, you'll be set!

Distributors don't necessarily know what makes a good movie. But they do know what makes a profitable one. I can enjoy a movie with nameless actors, in fact if it's an indie film that's really really good, I think that automatically makes it BETTER

I can enjoy a movie with nameless actors, in fact if it's an indie film that's really really good, I think that automatically makes it BETTER

I appreciate that. I love it when open-minded people are interested in something besides the mainstream. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me recoup my investment. :(

Back