what do you think is the most important factor in making a good movie?

As a redoubled cynic, I will say neither is as important as attaching a name. A movie is only good if people see it. You can make the dumbest, most plainly-shot movie in the universe, but attach a star and people will probably flock to it.

I've made 2 features with good stories and good cinematography (not trying to be arrogant - others here will attest to this, I think). But are they good movies? No names = no distribution. No distribution = no audience. No audience = nobody gives a shit. Nobody gives a shit = not a good movie, bottom line. :(

Wow. Really? I understand that perspective if all you're trying to do is make money with it. But movies are an art form, and if you don't agree with that, then they're at least creative endeavors, and as such they're subject to the same rules regarding aesthetics that every other creative process is; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I understand that it's important to get people to watch what you've created; it's part of the reward of movie making (and many other art forms). But at some level I think you have to put value in the process and in the final product regardless of who watches it. You have to be able to be proud of what you've created, even if nobody else really cares for it. You have to do it for yourself first.

Bottom line: do you think your movies are good? If so, then I think you've succeeded at your art (but maybe not at your business :)).

Wow. Really? I understand that perspective if all you're trying to do is make money with it. But movies are an art form, and if you don't agree with that, then they're at least creative endeavors, and as such they're subject to the same rules regarding aesthetics that every other creative process is; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I understand that it's important to get people to watch what you've created; it's part of the reward of movie making (and many other art forms). But at some level I think you have to put value in the process and in the final product regardless of who watches it. You have to be able to be proud of what you've created, even if nobody else really cares for it. You have to do it for yourself first.

Bottom line: do you think your movies are good? If so, then I think you've succeeded at your art (but maybe not at your business :)).

This particular art form is really expensive and highly collaborative. People (even artists) need to eat. If you're insisting that everybody on your set should be so dedicated to your vision of this piece of art that they should do without eating, then yes, this is art for art's sake and the art is all important.

Otherwise, ROI is really important... it requires an audience. Copy and Credit are worthless if the only people that will ever see those credits are your parents. The people on your set are working for exposure, you are obligated to provide it to them as their payment if you're not giving them money for their services.

I'll go back to an old standby adage I use in this specific argument. Art needs to affect the audience... if there's no audience, there's no effect, ergo, no art. Or, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it... who cares?

Yes art, but you must have an audience for it. Whether or not you want to befriend or piss off the audience, doesn't matter, both are valid... but they need to have an audience.

Bottom line: do you think your movies are good? If so, then I think you've succeeded at your art (but maybe not at your business).
This can be applied to any discipline.
A sandwichmaker that wanted to open a restaurant.
A seamstress that wanted to open a tailoring shop.
A mechanic wanting to open their auto shop.
A dentist or lawyer that wants to join a practice or put out their shingle.

If not enough people are interested in your work then... you got nothin'.

If you want to look at filmmaking as an expensive hobby with little to no hope of ROI, like horseback riding or scuba diving, then gopher it! Make art!
It's your nickle. Spend it any way you want.

But if you wanna quit your dayjob... you gotta make product fickle consumers are actually willing to part cash for - and that's pretty tough in filmmaking these days.

Back