What camcorder in my price range?

What camcorder should I get? Right now I have a Canon HF100 (love it!) but would like more controls, like manual zoom, yadayadayada...

My price range ENDS at $1500. I don't want to spend less than $800, because I will have to be losing something if I get that low.

Any suggestions? I have been thinking of the Canon EOS T2i, or 50D and a nice lense kit (like I know what that is :blush:)

They are very nice but are they appropriate for my work? I will be doing short films, church bumps(videos), and some freelance work: weddings, school projects, and whatever else is thrown at me ;)

I would love something that isn't going to be outdated two months after purchase (AKA the HF100, they just happen to come out with the S HF100 right after I get used to using this one... for the SAME price...)

I love the HVX200s, but they are way out of my price range if I am correctly hypothesizing (is that even a word?)

To conclude, I won't be buying anytime soon so please respond but give me a legitimate answer.
Thanks and have a great summer :D !

Unfortunately, it seems you'll have to stay away from DSLRs. While they're great for narratives, they tend to overheat when you have to shoot something continuously for a length of time. This makes them useless for weddings and other events that don't have constant breaks.

While they're great for narratives, they tend to overheat when you have to shoot something continuously for a length of time.

Plus you have that 12 minute maximum clip roadblock, too. "Wait, wait, don't kiss the bride until I change cards."

Just read a great interview with DP and DSLR advocate Philip Bloom where he specifically mentions this as the reason he still uses standard ENG cameras instead of DSLRs for documentary/event work.

And with those fast, shallow depth of field lenses that
everyone loves, keeping the subject in focus requires
a follow focus rig. To get the T2i or 50D up to video
production standards will end up costing more than
your limit.
I would love something that isn't going to be outdated two months after purchase (AKA the HF100, they just happen to come out with the S HF100 right after I get used to using this one... for the SAME price...)
Not gonna happen. Camera technology is changing
rapidly. You will likely have more than a two month
window, but not really more than nine. There will
ALWAYS be something better (and cheaper) coming
out.

I'm looking at my list - cameras I've taken out for a
test drive. Is manual zoom an essential item you
must have in a sub $1,500 camera? I notice it's the
only thing you mention. What other controls do you
need that the HF100 doesn't have? I'll make a
recommendation.

And you must also consider your audio needs. Does the camera have audio inputs and what type? What additional accessories might you need to hook up mics to the camera, or will you need a separate audio digital recorder? Have you budgeted for the mics themselves?

Just a few thing to consider.

Me, Id keep using the cam I had, maybe buy a new toy for it, but the bulk of that cash would go to buy a a 12 month Certificate of Deposit.. by this time next year, after all the new cameras come out I would have many more options.. the DSLR issues are going to be resolved, they are that complicated and the market is ripe.

HVX200 is out of your range, but a DVX isn't. I love mine, but they are SD only. I'm not sure how important HD is for you. Check out 'Iraq in Fragments' for some lush DVX footage...

I'm currently looking at Canons for my next purchase.

Last edited:
I think the memory cards for the HVX200 are out of your price range. The HF100 has a zoom rocker for manual zoom control I thought? I don't think you're going to get a better HD camera with more manual controls in that price range, but it could be worth looking at some older DV cameras. You need to decide what features are most important to you - HD? physical controls for iris/focus? low-light capabilities? long recording times? - before anyone can recommend any specific cameras.

The most important things to me are, budget:

1) have a Rode NTG-2 to boom, I record to my camera.
2) HF100 with 2 8GB sdhc cards.

Assets:
1) Manual focus
2) I would love a bigger body, something that doesn't feel like it is going to break if I lay it down too hard.
3) HD is not the most important, but good quality is wanted.

Please remember I am 13, that's why I'm asking you guys ;)

I meant manual focus in my first post... Sorry!

Also, let me describe my work to you all, for I feel I came on a little to brief:
I will be doing mostly short films, and church videos. I will be doing some wedding videos, but this will be my camera that will be used upclose for major shots like communion, the kiss, and other important talkaty events. I had my HF100 set up wide for the wedding and I will cut them together as needed/wanted. I was looking at the T2i because of the:

a. manual focus ring
b. nice quality
c. digital recording (sdhc)
d. mic jack
e. different lenses for different needs

So, know since I have made myself clear... any suggestions? :rolleyes:

The T2i's got some great things going for it. Fantastic value for money, shoots beautifully cinematic footage, you can upgrade to some really nice lenses, and while not as good in low-light as the 5D MKII it'll still outshine any videos cameras in the same price range. If you were mainly shooting drama, I'd definitely tell you to go for it.

However, if you're talking about live events, it's not such a gem. There is a recording time limit of 12 minutes, they've been known to overheat when recording for long periods of time (7D has a magnesium body and the 550D/T2i a plastic one), and while it shoots beautiful footage you've got to consider how well it will cut with footage from your HF100.

You also need to consider accessories. The ergonomics of SLRs are best-suited for stills, not video. If you want to get up close and handheld you'll probably need some kind of shoulder support/brace, and pulling focus quickly and accurately will be a lot easier with a follow focus.

I'm sorry if this comes across as really negative - I'm not trying to put you off the camera at all, and I genuinely think it is a superlative camera for the price, but it's best you come across the pitfalls now, and realise if and how you're going to cope with its shortcomings before you buy it. I hope I've been vaguely useful!

you could look into 35mm adapters, its a dead end tech, but some of your requirements can be met that way..

You lose so much light though, and this is with a small chip camera in churches. I would have loved a 35mm adaptor a year ago, but I think since the 550D was introduced they're no longer that great for the money.

Back