What are you listening to right NOW!

Two genres characterize the high Baroque period in music, roughly the first part of the 1700s, fugue and opera. The first is a densely contrapuntal composition: multiple simultaneous melodies--voices--of equal value, centered on a theme, a subject. And in fugue, Johan Sebastian Bach was unequaled. Compared to anyone else, it is Godzilla verses Bambi (quip credit: Prof. Greenberg, from Bach and the High Baroque.) Anyway.

The dense, intellectual, much of it predetermined, structure of fugue seems to me to be at odds with the rambling cornball bombast of opera--a clue, perhaps, to understanding the complex intellectual history of the Enlightenment: the fugue, a vision of Newton's universe as beautiful intricate clockwork; and opera, the democratizing emergence of popular non-aristocratic, non-religious entertainment. But anyway.

It is said that, unlike most of his peers, Bach composed no opera. But of course he did; his hundreds of sacred cantada are all small religious operas. And then there is the so-called Coffee Cantada, a little comic opera with three characters, written after Bach left Prince Leopold in Cothen to be Cantor of St. Thomas Church in Leipzeg, to be performed in Zimmermann's coffee house, the home of a little musical ensemble he led, just, it seems, for fun.

The three singers, in the Coffee Cantada, are a narrator (here the barista, whose first line is "shut up and listen," lol.) a father, Schlendrian, (translates as Stick-In-The-Mud, lol), and his willful teenaged daughter, Lieschen, whose addiction to coffee troubles the grumpy old man.

Anyway, I get a real kick out of this song, here in a great little production by the Netherlands Bach Society, (Lieschen's aria, 4:35 through 9:14) The sporano is great--she knocks me out at 7:55. The girl does love her some coffee.

Last edited:
The girl does love her some coffee.

Ah. NBS objected to the above because if was a subtitled copy. Anyone interest search the you tube for NBS Coffee Cantada.

Here's the soprano, Lucie Chartin, after a sip.

1687386525017.jpeg

Last edited:
None of the new music by Doja, or Cardi B, or Melanie Martinez is hitting for me. fml.

I'm pretty much EXCLUSIVELY on grimes music for 9 months now. fortunately she has a large back catalog.

Damn I'm gonna risk getting sick of her at this rate if nobody else is dropping hits
edit: oh yeah also listen to streams of DJs spinning

Last edited:
Cameron Carpenter: The "Great" Fugue in G minor.

And, if you're going to tour with a million dollar plus instrument, it could be a Strad violin or cello. Or it could be this fantastic thing:

1689016163799.jpeg

And, if you're curious how Bach himself might have sounded, here: (the fugue starts at 6:00)

Last edited:
One more and I promise I'll quit with the fugues, lol. This guy, Stephen Malinowski, who posts under the name smalin, makes these fantastic graphic vids. It's interesting to see the architecture of the fugue, the voices coming in with different colors, to see how the thing is built.

Legend is that Bach improvised this, at a job interview, the subject (the first melody) a little Dutch folk tune.

Last edited:
Currently in love with stoner rock

Not sure . . .
Stoner rock, also known as stoner metal or stoner doom, is a rock music fusion genre that combines elements of doom metal with psychedelic rock and acid rock. The genre emerged during the early 1990s and was pioneered foremost by Kyuss and Sleep. -- Wikipedia

Now i know, lol. And I hear the old school origins, my kind of stoner rock: Pink Floyd, Doors, Dead, etc. And I love this cover of a famous stoner song:

Thankfully Lana is still delivering the juice with her new tracks
If it weren't for these two ladies Lana and Grimes IDK WTF I'd be listening to.

I mean look at my hair
Look at the length of it and the shape of my body
If I told you that I was raped
Do you really think that anybody would think
I didn't ask for it? I didn't ask for it
I won't testify, I already fucked up my story
On top of this (Mm), so many other things you can't believe
Did you know a singer can still be
Looking like a sidepiece at thirty-three?
God's a charlatan, don't look back, babe
Puts the shower on while he calls me
Slips out the back door to talk to me
I'm invisible, look how you hold me
I'm invisible, I'm invisible
I'm a ghost now, look how you hold me now

I don't like the harpsichord, and I'm not all that keen on baroque music even if you take the harpsichord out, but I'm listening to (or rather watching) this over and over ...

... because I got to dance with her several times during the weekend.

Though we've intermittently occupied the same territory for nine years, it's been in two entirely different musical worlds. Until, two months ago, she decided to step into mine, and fate led us to the same shed in the same field on the same night.

Small-talking between dances, she disclosed that "I play the violin." Right, like about fifty other people here, I thought - till I google-stalked her. No, not like those fifty weekend amateurs! :eek:

🤔 Does Indietalk offer therapy sessions ... or exorcisms?

Am convinced I've been bewitched ... can't stop thinking about my Bohemian Girl ...

... and can't wait till next July to dance with her again at my local festival ... :no:

She said she'd be at another one next month. In Switzerland.

Fekkit - it's only a 1500km round trip ...

Back