• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Villains

Villains. One of the most important characters, if you would ask me. I mean, can you imagine Luke Skywalker without Darth Vader? Or Batman without Joker? I think you answer is “No!”. In one of my old projects, the ghost of a woman hires one of the main characters to find her murderer. Is it cheesy if the boss of the murderer – so the main villain of the episode – is a (fictive) famous mafia boss?

Villains. One of the most important characters, if you would ask me. I mean, can you imagine Luke Skywalker without Darth Vader? Or Batman without Joker? I think you answer is “No!”. In one of my old projects, the ghost of a woman hires one of the main characters to find her murderer. Is it cheesy if the boss of the murderer – so the main villain of the episode – is a (fictive) famous mafia boss?

There is a reason why Darth vader and the joker are so iconic antagonists. Do you understand why? Do you understand what the say about the Protagonist?......also.... Wats the question? :weird:

Well. I know that they're iconic because those villains are memorable. But to be memorable, you need motivation, which can be understood by others. I mean, Joker became crazy and evil. He wasn't evil when he was born. However, I don't wanna copy those villains. So, my question is how to write an iconic villain, even if you got a cheesy job for the character.

Darth Vader is Luke's father but became evil because he was manipulated by the emperor. And Joker... there is the problem with Bruce's past. And Joker is kinda a personification of all his problems.

Darth Vader is Luke's father but became evil because he was manipulated by the emperor. And Joker... there is the problem with Bruce's past. And Joker is kinda a personification of all his problems.

Yes.... Darth Vader is Luke skywalker's Father. Forget the how he became evil because that's not relevant for the relationship between luke skywalker and Darth Vader. Darth Vader is a part of Luke Skywalker.... He is Luke Skywalker's future if luke would succumb to his own weaknesses. He understands this after his final duel between on the second death star. It is a struggle that we as the audience have with our own ego...

Batman is a character that chooses to fight evil as a vigilante devil at the nicht. The Joker chooses to fight everyone as a devil and make the world into a Hell. The interesting thing between the Joker and Batman is how close batman is of becoming like the Joker. Batman wants to save the world....... and himself (or perhaps his childhood self). The Joker wants to destroy it......and himself. It is a struggle that we as the audience have with our own ego...

Is it cheesy if the boss of the murderer – so the main villain of the episode – is a (fictive) famous mafia boss?

Ideas can't be cheesy. In Birdman, the hero was a (fictive) famous superhero, but the movie wasn't cheesy at all! But if you handle it the wrong way, it will be cheesy.

Anyway I don't get why you want to connect your movie with Godfather. Also I don't get why the boss of the murderer is the main villain. Explain the later if you want.

In one of my old projects, the ghost of a woman hires one of the main characters to find her murderer.

Step #1. Stop referring to your ideas as projects, and your collection of ideas you never wrote as "old" projects. This is a pattern. You never write anything yet you have all these projects! You just move around from project to project and never write anything. You post that you are stuck, so you revisit an "old project." This motion tricks you into thinking you are being productive. But you know deep down you are not.

Remember this post? You never did this. You just stopped posting and came back assuming we forgot.

NO MORE POSTING UNTIL YOU'VE WRITTEN SOMETHING!

Yes, I'm shouting. Enough. I don't care WHAT you write, just write something.
This is absurd.

In one of my old projects, the ghost of a woman hires one of the main characters to find her murderer. Is it cheesy if the boss of the murderer – so the main villain of the episode – is a (fictive) famous mafia boss?
Is Jimmy the Gent cheesy? Is Vito Corleone cheesy? Is Frank Costello cheesy?
Is Michael Corleone cheesy? Is Harold Shand cheesy? Is Nucky Thompson cheesy?

And what do you mean by "cheesy"?

So, how does the interview help with my problem?
He is trying to get you to understand the nature of characters. How YOU
write a character is what is important. Yes, a famous mafia boss can be
"cheesy" and cliche and stereotypical. Are you capable of writing a character
that isn't cheesy?

Are you capable of writing ONE complete episode of one of you many old
(or new) projects?

Something about cheese.... or something..... :yes:

Cheesy Villians

cheeseguy.png

real villains don't think of them selves as villains. Everyone thinks they are the good guy. Only in cartoons does the bad guy sit around and say things like "mwwaaa what evil can I do today?"

From a story perspective everyone is trying to do what they think is "right" to various levels of success. The results of those actions may or may not be perceived as evil. Your job as a writer is motivate characters to do the "evil" things you want them to do. If your villain is a main character then you need to develop this motivation very clearly, for less important characters, a broad generalization is good enough. Its important to have this character background EVEN if it NEVER ends up being used or even referenced in the story. Your story world should be INTERNALLY consistent.

In visual story telling, the film may never explain why character "Billy" did this or that, but as we watch "Billy" respond to situations we each create our own "motivation" for that character. For twist It can be incredibly powerful to FINALLY reveal the "real" reason for the characters action as famously demonstrated with this one line: "I am you father Luke" That line changed EVERYTHING we though we knew about Darth Vader and made us "re think" the motivation for all his preceding actions. He wasn't a bad guy, he wanted the best for his son, but he had been twisted by external forces...

Cheese mafia.

In a vegan society there is money to be made with real cheese.
According to some it is as addictive as heroin, but the heroin of our story tries to save her brother from the cheese mafia.

Back