Used Car or Brand New iMac?

I don't know if I want to get a car next month or spend that 2500 dollars on a iMac and software. My cheapy laptop is completely destroyed now so should I take this opportunity to get an iMac or should I continue to use my money for a first car like I was originally planning? I just need some opinions on what you guys would do in this situation... also I have experience with mac products and I really like them. The production class I take in high school uses macs for editing so I would be practicing in and out of school. What do you guys think?

Spend $1200 on a new iMac and the other $1300 on a beater car. I edit on my 2.5 year old MBP (2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 8 GB of RAM) without tearing my hair out, so even the bottom of the line iMac will put you eons ahead of me. :yes:

cameron raises a good point. Do you really have to have the best Mac to get busy editing? $400 on a cheap PC, $100 on Vegas, and you rock-solid for basic editing.

And that leaves $2,000 for your car!

Car.

I've seen the meaty aftermath of waaaaay too many car accidents.
You can always buy more gas.
You can't buy your a$$ back from a good car wreck.
Get the biggest chunk of steel you can.

Then get a $700 PC and deal.

GL!

Get the car.

Just over fifteen years ago I made this same decision and have regretted it ever since. Don't get me wrong, I love my Macs, but had I gone for the car, I could've afforded more and better Macs.

Car - Reasons: If you plan on shooting anywhere you will need something to load your gear and won't break down. You will also need it to get a job, or go to work so you have income to fund your video projects and at the same time saving up to buy your Mac (although I would suggest getting away from them and going for a custom PC ;) ). Plus being able to drive to school and back will give you more time to work on other things instead of sitting and waiting on a bus. On top of all that, if you plan on attending college for video or whatever you will need reliable transportation. That's my three cents anyways. Don't let your wants get in the way of your needs.

Wow. I'm the only one who put filmmaking before a car.

I knew I was a strange kid - I had no idea how strange. I didn't
buy my first car until I was 22. I bought cameras, lights, editing
equipment and film with what little money I had.

Car.

You could make friends with someone else interested in film making and edit on their pc or mac.
But without a car, how are you going to get places whenever u need to for film making and as someone else mentioned, transporting ur gear.

Wow. I'm the only one who put filmmaking before a car.

I knew I was a strange kid - I had no idea how strange. I didn't
buy my first car until I was 22. I bought cameras, lights, editing
equipment and film with what little money I had.

I don't get the impression that those replying are telling him to choose a car over 'filmmaking.' But rather, choosing a car over a super-fancy computer. If it was car or camera, car or feature film, I think the responses would be different here. Especially considering he can get a car and a computer with $2,500.

Back