favorite Top 5 Favorite Films of All Time?

Refer to the title, and why?

Mine: "Fight Club", "Reservoir Dogs", "The Dark Knight", "Clerks.", "The Big Lebowski"

5 is too hard to calculate...here are (at my current mental state) some of my top 10 movies.

* Blade Runner

* Brazil

* LotR

* Airplane

* Momento

* Alien

* 12 Monkeys

* The Thing

* Caddy Shack

* Young Frankenstein

Per your own request, shouldn't you put why you chose those?

Ha! Ha! I did that on my last post, too. Good eye, sir. Here goes:

"Fight Club" - Everything about it is brilliant. The cinematography, the story, the twists, the narrative, the acting, the message(s), and each time you see it you catch something you never noticed before. In my opinion it is the perfect film. I can't even express my enthusiasm and if I were to list everything about it I love it would literally take more than a few hours. It's unstoppably brilliant.

"Reservoir Dogs" - "Pulp Fiction" is considered Tarantino's best and as I love all his films with a 4-star passion (he's my favorite director if you haven't caught that yet), "Reservoir Dogs" hit me just right. First of all, it was the first Tarantino flick I saw and was my introduction into the great world of Quentin. The dialogue is crisp and edgy, as all Tarantino dialogue is, and the violence is always great in QT films, because he knows how to do it. Hell, he knows how to do everything right, and he supports that opinion with this film as his prime example. Also, it was indie and I love indie. Who doesn't love indie? Besides maybe Hollywood dick-devils like Michael Bay or some asshole with a boner for explosions and too much CGI.

"The Dark Knight" - This was a hard one. After seeing "Memento" I still question which to place in this spot. I will stick with "TDK" right now, but it is subject to change after another "Memento" viewing. Anyway, the greatness in this is how big it is on a small level (along with many other contributing factors). It seems giant, yet it keeps a personal hold on you and feels intimate. Also, Ledger's Joker performance is one for the history books, but everyone knows that; no need to dwell. The suspense is spot-on, the action is perfect, nothing is over or under-done. It brings a fictional story to reality and makes us feel that it exists and somehow know it's real.

"Clerks." - You're kidding, right? A $27,000 indie flick with the dirtiest mouth around and wit that could kill the mind of any arrogant prick with enough balls to say Kevin Smith sucks whilst proving them wrong simultaneously; how can't a person fall in complete and utter love with it? The story behind it is almost as good as the film itself, which contributes to its legend. It'll always hold a spot in my heart for not caring how much money it's made on and having guts; something that no films seem to do anymore.

"The Big Lebowski" - Dude. You have to love it. What's the plot? Um...which one? There're so many things happenign that tie together perfectly, all with laugh-out-loud hilarity. Every line is a quote, every moment a great one. Characters drive this film wild and keep it on track at the same time. And when it does go off track? Just another great turn in yet another invincible film.

5 is too hard to calculate...here are (at my current mental state) some of my top 10 movies.

* Blade Runner

* Brazil

* LotR

* Airplane

* Momento

* Alien

* 12 Monkeys

* The Thing

* Caddy Shack

* Young Frankenstein

I'm gonna be honest, I haven't seen Blade Runner or Brazil or even The Thing, but the rest on your list are pretty great (Memento specifically).

Ok, these are my favorites off the top of my head...there are probably some I'm forgetting because its so hard to choose, but here goes...

Shawshank Redemption- Just one of the best and most heartfelt movies I have ever seen. You have to love Tim Robins as Andy because he's just a regular joe trying to survive in prison.

The Dark Night - One of the most developed villians of all time. Just a great movie packed with everything you could want. Love, hate, romance, action, fighting, guns, money...etc.

The Godfather Part 1 - One of the best mafia movies ever.

Up In The Air - Such a good depressing movie with an amazing actor.

Saving Private Ryan - The epicness of the movie I think speaks for itself, and who doesn't love Tom Hanks?

Se7en - Just a fantastic story and great acting.

Clockwork Orange - because of its randomness I found it great.

The Departed - Absolutely loved the way it was filmed.

District 9 - Whats not to like? Low budget, based off a short, the guys first time acting.

Ok that's it off the top of my head, but I would also like to say although they do not really count as film because they are animation movies... Up and Wall-E are also AMAZING.

Ok, these are my favorites off the top of my head...there are probably some I'm forgetting because its so hard to choose, but here goes...

Shawshank Redemption- Just one of the best and most heartfelt movies I have ever seen. You have to love Tim Robins as Andy because he's just a regular joe trying to survive in prison.

The Dark Night - One of the most developed villians of all time. Just a great movie packed with everything you could want. Love, hate, romance, action, fighting, guns, money...etc.

The Godfather Part 1 - One of the best mafia movies ever.

Up In The Air - Such a good depressing movie with an amazing actor.

Saving Private Ryan - The epicness of the movie I think speaks for itself, and who doesn't love Tom Hanks?

Se7en - Just a fantastic story and great acting.

Clockwork Orange - because of its randomness I found it great.

The Departed - Absolutely loved the way it was filmed.

District 9 - Whats not to like? Low budget, based off a short, the guys first time acting.

Ok that's it off the top of my head, but I would also like to say although they do not really count as film because they are animation movies... Up and Wall-E are also AMAZING.

How don't animated films count? They're just as much films...

I'm not going to tell you why I like the five I do just because I'm lazy right now.

*Mallrats
*Galaxy Quest
*The Toxic Avenger
*BioZombie
*Bloodsport

Well those are my top five for now.

I'm way too exhausted to explain why, but for what it's worth without order.

*Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
*True Romance
*The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
*Man on Wire
*The Diving Bell & The butterfly
*Amelie
*There will be blood
*Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind
*Enter the Dragon
*Fist of Fury
*No Country for Old men

I'll no doubt think of more, but it's 11:03am and I've got a long day ahead :grumpy:

A top five list may be impossible. I'll try to keep it down to ten.

From Hell
Sleepy Hollow
Hell Boy
Apocolypse Now
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Babe, Pig in the City
Interview with the Vampire
X2
Harry Potter, the whole series! (oops, I guess that makes this list more like 15)

I agree a top five is a bit difficult to muster up at the moment. Here 10 that may or may not fit in.

1. Gangs of New Yorks- Beautiful sets and gritty violence and anarchy that fits with the tim period.

2. Road to Perdition- Some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. Good story while not amazing is good. Awesome action scenes whilst still being a bit sentimental at the end.

3. The Usual Suspects- It's just an amazing story.

4. The Wrestler- Acting is superb along with a story that is really down to earth. It's part american, part european, in it's style.

5. Se7en- Amazing visuals along with a gripping story.

6. Being John Malkovich -It's pure art...I would make babies with this film.

7. The Following- Chris Nolan's first film. Amazing plot twists.

8. Dr. Strangelove- It's so campy yet somehow extremely serious.

9. The Unforgiven- Eastwood at his best directing.

10. Apocalypse Now - It's pure intensity.

there are some awesome movies listed here and some i've never seen or even heard of. bad indie film girl, bad.
the number one spot i think is pretty definite, but the rest probably change every day. i think most people are like that, depends on your mood and stuff.. anyway, here's my top 5 right now:
1) lords of dogtown - skating was a big part of my life and this film encapsulates that scene so perfectly it inspires me to dust off my deck every time i watch it.
2) knocked up - i've said it before and i'll say it again, i could pretty much just listen to seth rogans' laugh for 2 hours and be entertained.
3) waiting - if you've worked in hospitality, or any form of customer service really, you'll relate. i used to watch this before going to my soul destroying job. i think it prevented a homicidal rampage.
4) romeo + juliet (the Baz Luhrmann version) - can you tell i'm just a little bit depressed today?
5) the matrix - for the same reasons that anyone else would like it i guess. it's pretty amazing.

yes so, a real good contribution to the discussion there -_-

Last edited:
A top five list may be impossible. I'll try to keep it down to ten.

From Hell
Sleepy Hollow
Hell Boy
Apocolypse Now
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Casablanca
Babe, Pig in the City
Interview with the Vampire
X2
Harry Potter, the whole series! (oops, I guess that makes this list more like 15)

that list is about as random as the wedding entourage from that paul rudd jason segel movie.

-boogie nights
-the beach (the story and the book is great, also the acting is top notch.
-Goodfellas
-Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid
-dazed and confused
-adventureland

there are some awesome movies listed here and some i've never seen or even heard of. bad indie film girl, bad.
the number one spot i think is pretty definite, but the rest probably change every day. i think most people are like that, depends on your mood and stuff.. anyway, here's my top 5 right now:
1) lords of dogtown - skating was a big part of my life and this film encapsulates that scene so perfectly it inspires me to dust off my deck every time i watch it.
2) knocked up - i've said it before and i'll say it again, i could pretty much just listen to seth rogans' laugh for 2 hours and be entertained.
3) waiting - if you've worked in hospitality, or any form of customer service really, you'll relate. i used to watch this before going to my soul destroying job. i think it prevented a homicidal rampage.
4) romeo + juliet (the Baz Luhrmann version) - can you tell i'm just a little bit depressed today?
5) the matrix - for the same reasons that anyone else would like it i guess. it's pretty amazing.

yes so, a real good contribution to the discussion there -_-

waiting is really underrated. the movie went under the radar. also lords of dogtown is one of those movies that was incredibly underrated. emile hirsch man. that dude can act.

also i like the matrix a ton. u have to watch all 3 like its all one continuous movie.

I'm not going to tell you why I like the five I do just because I'm lazy right now.

*Mallrats
*Galaxy Quest
*The Toxic Avenger
*BioZombie
*Bloodsport

Well those are my top five for now.

Mallrats was filmed at my home mall dude. except they remodeled it. I remember them filming it.

Mallrats was filmed at my home mall dude. except they remodeled it. I remember them filming it.

No shit, thats so cool. Can you post a pic of what it looks like now? I just want to see the outside of it. You know if you can great. If you cant no biggie.

Back