To you all

Hey , I have like a proprosition for all of you , I was woundering that we could work as a team and create like a script or a mini film , what do you think ?

People have suggested this on this site several times before. If you want to try it, go for it...but I've never seen it happen yet. Where it typically breaks down is in the early concept phase. What is our story? Well, if you ask everyone for ideas, everyone will have one. And everyone who has one will love theirs and not yours. That's usually where it ends. Furthermore, someone needs to really take ownership of the project as a producer, to coordinate all the efforts of evereyone involved.

I was thinking that first of all we could start to write a script , I mean we join a group of people who is interested in the idea , and then we divide the work for us all and we write . This is the first step , next we try to make it happen . But first we write and we plan , cause that's the starting point.

As for the script , I have a couple of ideas too , but I would like to hear yours as well . We need about 15 people (max , it can be less ) for this inital phase , then we'll see how things go .. what do you say ?

I've seen this tried on several messageboards
many, many times. They have all failed.

But I'm willing to try it again because I would
love to be a part of one that succeeds. I hope
you are the person than can make it happen.

I'll be one of the 15.

Let's start not with the story ideas, but the
project ideas. What do you have in mind?

I've seen this tried on several messageboards
many, many times. They have all failed.

But I'm willing to try it again because I would
love to be a part of one that succeeds. I hope
you are the person than can make it happen.

I'll be one of the 15.

Let's start not with the story ideas, but the
project ideas. What do you have in mind?

Thank you for trying . I've several ideas , one of them is to make several mini stories , but each story has to influenciate the others in any kinf of way ( like a network of mini stories) , and then we could compile everything in a mini film with about 30 min or less , like a short film , I've more ideas , but I would like to hear you too cause this would be a group project so we have to cooperate with each other

you would need to use polls to get it done, that way the outside of the same community can help.
make sure that all the participants are sticking to what they do best, and not interfering with the others no matter how stupid they think whatever the other person is doing.

make sure the people working on it know what they are doing from the get go.

make sure everyone involved is aether near each other, or in a position that they don't need to be (script writers, story ideas, video editing etc, but cast has to be near and film crew, light crew, sound crew etc etc.)

then when you have all that's settled, you have to make sure the short is even worth filming, aka you'll need money to get the job done, so it will need to all be convinced that you'll get some profit.

pro's i can see from this....
more contacts.
more experience
you could make a blog and website on putting a short together with people you have never met and use that as a bonus material and to add on to the experience and possibly getting a few donations.

cons
it is going to gain and lose members at a rate that'll make it seem impossible.

you will have to deal with the unreliable's that will make everyone want to go on a murderous rampage.

you will probably need to fund your self's.

huge chance of it being dropped before it gets done.

I see your point , but the first step is to write something then we'll see what to do cause we might get lucky , I don't know and I can't garantee anything , but at least we 're learning and doing a stuff we like !

Last edited:
I have often wondered about this very thing, and besides the possible legal ramifications, logistical nightmares, and something getting pregnant I think in a more perfect world it could be done if hearts, wallets and various collaborative interests could come together in creative harmony.

Maybe like this:

1. Decide who the top guns of film making talent are in the most practically advantageous condensed geographic location. Maybe Los Angels, I don’t know.

2. Offer a Buy-In (“Creative Investment”) opportunity that perhaps only premier members can take part in, so the forum is sustained. Or offer an Investment/Premier membership package for subscription renewal or 1st time members. This would contribute in part to budget.

3. Offer a script submission Buy-In scenario (Like a script competition) by which writers have a chance to actually get made. This would be budget too.

4. Offer a crash course Buy-In scenario by which a few selected individuals in the filming location can be on set to gain practical hands-on (helping hand) side by side invaluable experience with said Top Dogs for a day or two to get a dose of Lighting, Sound, Acting, Directing, cinematography etc. experience. This would also be budget.

5. Get various forum bands (like critically acclaimed Fear Report) to contribute music.

6. Have the top script person (or two) decide on the two best entries based on story and do’abilty within budget.

7. All “Investors” vote on which one of the two final scripts to make.

8. Have the on-set experience gaining investors come equipped with their personal cameras to shoot behind the scenes/the making of DVD extras.

9. A few members contribute their time and talent to the post work.

10. Put everyone’s name, website link and picture of their dog in the credits. (Hell, sell cheap advertising in the credits if possible.)

11. Sell the finished DVD not only containing the film, but power packed with insightful and interesting how to, behind the scenes and the making of extras through the site.

12. Donate all proceeds to charity and rock on with the knowledge that by skipping the latest toy you helped make something cool happen in a positive direction to benefit a good cause while also sustaining the craft and creating self serving opportunities within it via the power and spirit of community.

I'm a naive dreamer, but I think if a Buy-In price tag that was accessible to many while also feasible for budget could be found, and a highly organized structure of talent and various collaborative contributions assembled, then something realistic and bad ass could be pulled off.

-Thanks-

You've got a good plan there , it seems possible , altough a lot of things can go wrong and this all project will sink . However I 'm totally "in to it " cause I wanna do something or at least try to do . Until now just one person said that it will be part of this .. if we are really moving on with this we need to start planning everything see who is in , who is going to do what and so on ..

12. Donate all proceeds to charity

The ZenSteve Retirement Fund sounds good to me.
smiley_colbert.gif

if we are really moving on with this we need to start planning everything

You'll probably get more help/offers if you actually have a plan... so, yup.

Get organised.
smiley_ninja.gif

yap but in order to make a plan I need to know with who I can count with , cause if this is a team work we have to get a plan all together
In my previous experience, this is why a project like this fails.
The person who starts it wants others to plan it. They don't
take the lead in pushing a very difficult challenge forward, they
wait and hope other people will all, equally, join in with the
same passion.

When I put together a local project - which in itself is extremely
difficult - I take the lead, have the plan and guide everyone else
towards that one goal - my goal. I have never been involved in a
project that is as egalitarian as you want this one to be. Several
people writing a script isn't a successful endeavor without a strong
plot, story and leader. Making a "mimi film" is very difficult when
every, single person has equal say in the production. Expecting up
to 15 people to have the same passion as you for this project and
be willing to work just as hard as you is likely to lead to your
disappointment.

I'm still interested. But I am interested in working on YOUR project,
not working on OUR project. If your project is something that sparks
my imagination and seems like something I'm willing to spend my
creative time doing, I'll do anything I can to help make your project
work.

I'd be willing to throw down on "YOUR" idea as well (borrowed above from rik's post). A ship needs a captain and a heading. I'm unable to dedicate the time to be the producer on a film project of this scope, but I'll produce a segment with my resources locally if that is something you're looking for. I don't write, so I'd need a script handed to me with delineations about where it fits into the larger context so I know what can be altered on set during the shoot when dialog doesn't flow right or actors screw up and have moments of brilliant improv.

Hey guys I've been working on the project and I 'm almost done with the plan , I'm going on vacations and I think I only come back after new years , so I will show you the plan when I come back. Untill now I only have been working on the writing part , phase one of the project, however I will show my ideas for phase two as well. Finally I want to thank to knightly and buddy greenfield for showing there interest as well .Happy New Year to you all .

Back