• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

campaign The Unknown Warrior

a Ninja above all others would have been indoctrinated with a deep respect for their foe.
This tells you dont know about ninja. You are describing a samurai or maybe a ninja turtle (who really practice bushido) what the samurai practiced. The ninja had no such code. They were literally assassins. Learn about some Japanese history before you say stuff like this.

You say you want to make an epic movie and your story outline describes hundreds of characters,
Thats why we want to raise money. We want to raise 10k for just the first part and then We will up our kickstarter to a lot more money if the first part goes well, to make the second and third parts.

you're looking for funding for Part One (which is actually Part Two) but only planning to shoot one scene; and you don't really want/need the money anyway. Huh?
We are planning to shoot just the first scene with our own resources. Then using the first scene to promote a new kickstarter. We dont need the money for the first scene.
We NEVER asked for money for the first scene. We are wanting to raise money for the entire first part. Duh ?
How are you confused by this ?

how two people can shoot a fight scene with two characters in it - who's behind the camera?
Creativity, will and ambition friend. You know, they make these things called tripods and you can set a scene up with markers where the characters need to be. Cameras now have the capability to use wifif also. This means we can watch what the camera is seeing from a phone. Technology has gone a long way and this is absolutely possible.
That just means that if i pull this off; i am a damn good cameraman/ director.
I invite challenge into my day to day. This is going to be a challenge. I will not argue with that. But what separates you from me... i accept that challenge.

Folklore:
the traditional beliefs, customs, and stories of a community, passed through the generations by word of mouth.
synonyms:mythology, lore, oral history, tradition, folk tradition;
legends, fables, myths, folk tales, folk stories, old wives' tales;
technicalmythus, mythos
I really dont think i used that word out of context at all.

What is the definition of folklore ?
Werewolves and vampires fall directly into that category. So i didnt use that word out of context the slightest.
Folklore:
the traditional beliefs, customs, and stories of a community, passed through the generations by word of mouth.
synonyms:mythology, lore, oral history, tradition, folk tradition;
legends, fables, myths, folk tales, folk stories, old wives' tales;
technicalmythus, mythos
I really dont think i used that word out of context at all.

And I didn't say you used it out of context - I said what you're describing is fantasy not folklore. By definition (as you have so helpfully quoted above), foklore is a collection of stories passed down through the generations. Your story is not folklore because (a) you're making it up yourself; and (b) it has no parallel in any continental European folklore that I'm aware of, and I've been studying this subject for forty years. Werewolves and vampires are characters from north-central and eastern Europe. The closest scenario to the kind of epic battle that you envisage would be found in Irish/Celtic legend - but that's legend, not folklore and even then, there are rarely any examples of sadism or torture described in those texts. For that, you need to look a lot closer to home, i.e. in what we usually call history and which inevitably involves only one fantastic beast - the human.

This tells you dont know about ninja. You are describing a samurai or maybe a ninja turtle (who really practice bushido) what the samurai practiced. The ninja had no such code. They were literally assassins. Learn about some Japanese history before you say stuff like this.

Ummmmm. What does the word NINJA mean? One who is hidden. First and foremost, the Ninja were spies, and they certainly did have a code. Their role as assassins was secondary. They deviated from the rules of the Samurai, but were expected to act with honour amongst themselves and with respect to their targets.

Most of what we know about the Ninja comes from a few "after the event" texts - so that counts as folklore - but unless you're hanging out with a bunch of elderly Japanese guys one of whom might have personally known (or served as!) a Ninja, you're going to have to fall back on the Bansen-syukai text:
In the translation of the Bansenshukai (one of the manuals used by ninjas), there is entire portion devoted to "Correct Mind". The Bansenshukai is translated by Antony Cummins and expresses that ninjas should be able to stray from a righteous path as long as their motivations are not for self-gain, but to serve a uncorrupt employer.
source

You character's sadistic attack on the werewolf does not serve any employer, and you've made it clear that he's torturing the werewolf for his own pleasure. Those are not Ninja qualities.

From the same text (different source) here are the ten ideals to which a Ninja should aspire:
1.To maintain a strong body, with loyalty, bravery, stratagem, skills, and belief.

2.To be gentle and faithful with less desire, to value academies, to remember obligations.

3.To be eloquent, to read domestic and foreign books, to be wise enough not to be cheated by anyone.

4.To know providence, to master the teachings of Buddhism and Confucianism, and to realize one's destiny.

5.To respect ancient, domestic and foreign ethos, to wear a heroic temper.

6.To be called a good man usually without arguing with anyone.

7.To have a tidy family and relatives, never to betray anyone and abuse ninjutsu.

8.To travel around all countries, and to know the customs and manners of each land well.

9.To have a talent for literature, to excel in writing and to possess a talent for and keen understanding of military affairs.

10.To acquire artistic accomplishments like singing and dancing, traditional Japanese music, making impressions of others, and to utilize them when necessary.

Strange as it may seem, it's quite possible for someone living by those rules to also be a ruthless killer. The key point is that when they kill, they do it quickly, efficiently and with respect - not slipping and sliding in a pool of blood. This is why your scene doesn't make sense to me ... unless, as I wondered earlier, your Ninja was caught by surprise, having effectively been in retirement for a couple of centuries - in which case that's where the real story lies.

Ummmmm. What does the word NINJA mean? One who is hidden. First and foremost, the Ninja were spies, and they certainly did have a code. Their role as assassins was secondary. They deviated from the rules of the Samurai, but were expected to act with honour amongst themselves and with respect to their targets.

Most of what we know about the Ninja comes from a few "after the event" texts - so that counts as folklore - but unless you're hanging out with a bunch of elderly Japanese guys one of whom might have personally known (or served as!) a Ninja, you're going to have to fall back on the Bansen-syukai text:
source

You character's sadistic attack on the werewolf does not serve any employer, and you've made it clear that he's torturing the werewolf for his own pleasure. Those are not Ninja qualities.

From the same text (different source) here are the ten ideals to which a Ninja should aspire:

Strange as it may seem, it's quite possible for someone living by those rules to also be a ruthless killer. The key point is that when they kill, they do it quickly, efficiently and with respect - not slipping and sliding in a pool of blood. This is why your scene doesn't make sense to me ... unless, as I wondered earlier, your Ninja was caught by surprise, having effectively been in retirement for a couple of centuries - in which case that's where the real story lies.

Woa. Are you a ninja ?

source

“1.To maintain a strong body, with loyalty, bravery, stratagem, skills, and belief.”

No... the first thing a ninja must master is to “Never let your shadow be your enemy.”

Those books you refer to are distractions.

I don't think the "ruthless" or " gory" aspects of a ninja movie is an issue here. Sadistic and gory fight scenes are a common theme in ninja stories( Think Ninja assassin or the phenomenon video game Ninja gaiden). The main issue is the story. You should try to put all these ideas that you've mentioned into a coherent screenplay. I know it may seem unnecessary to you right now, but trust me, when you try to actually WRITE the stuff on a piece of paper, everything changes. You'll realize you need to do so much more than what you initially thought. A small example : you know the general premise but do you know what your actors will specifically say in each scene? Going forward just with the flow of each scene usually doesn't result in a good story.

Last edited:
this dude trying to build a skyscraper without a blueprint and says to his architect I know what all the rooms are gonna be used for, I don't need a blueprint.

Back