Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Only when filming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
Kevin Smith's "Too Fat for 40" is a great example of how pot isn't always good for the creative process ;) Great to watch, too, even if you hate his films, he's an engaging speaker! Again, everyone's chemistry is a little different, and things work different for different people (there's a great line in the tv show Dollhouse about that).

Also: Terry Gilliam has never done drugs. Never felt the need. William S. Burroughs did craploads of them. His son died of liver failure due to alcoholism (at 33).

Never heard of Kevin Smith before and I'm loving his show so far !

Thanks.

EDIT : Ok I watched every minute of it and I don't see how it's a great example of pot not being good for the creative process.

Last edited:
for severe gastro-intestinal issues, headaches, maintaining sleep routines, and dealing with bullshit in general, legal otc drugs more than fit the bill, turning your back to pot in no way severs ties with some of greatest characters of the time and place your life takes part in.

cops don't smoke weed all the time either, that is also a popular misconception.

Last edited:
for severe gastro-intestinal issues, headaches, maintaining sleep routines, and dealing with bullshit in general, legal otc drugs more than fit the bill, turning your back to pot in no way severs ties some of greatest characters of the time and place your life takes part in.

cops don't smoke weed all the rime either, that is also a popular misconception.

:huh:

for severe gastro-intestinal issues, headaches, maintaining sleep routines, and dealing with bullshit in general, legal otc drugs more than fit the bill, turning your back to pot in no way severs ties with some of greatest characters of the time and place your life takes part in.

cops don't smoke weed all the time either, that is also a popular misconception.

:huh:

Smoke? Me? Never.
whistle.gif

But I do enjoy a little pineapple upside down cake from time to time, and never on set. ;)

There's a reason for the term "martini shot."

At the end of a hard day of filming, cast and crew deserve to indulge.

We shot in a bar for the 48 Hour Film Project last weekend and the last shot was a "Tequila Shot". Only one though; any more and we all would have passed out from being awake so long.

Drugs are bad, mmmkay? If you do drugs...you're bayad. :)

Weed is practically legal, and soon will be actually legal, so I don't see a problem (unless you're in a sensitive situation) in admitting smoking it.

I smoke weed. Not particularly often, but semi-regularly enough (I find that I enjoy Sci-Fi movies a great deal more, when a little high). So, I'm not gonna pass judgment on anybody who enjoys it, at their own leisure. :D

But smoking on the set? Bad idea. Really bad idea.

It doesn't actually make you more creative. It changes your perception of things, but your creativity and productivity actually take a major downfall. Don't do it, dude. Save it for when you're just having fun, and stay professional on the set.

BTW - DirtyPictures, I do enjoy your Willie Nelson reference, but filmmaking and playing music are pretty difficult to compare. I seriously doubt there are any accomplished filmmakers who regularly sparked up on the set.

Weed is practically legal, and soon will be actually legal, so I don't see a problem (unless you're in a sensitive situation) in admitting smoking it.

I smoke weed. Not particularly often, but semi-regularly enough (I find that I enjoy Sci-Fi movies a great deal more, when a little high).

I'm glad to see someone else enjoys Scifi movies while stoned....check out avatar and fifth element "Lilu Dallas multipass" always cracks me up.

Oh yea....don't smoke while working. Could find yourself with a serious case of munchies and no where near a 711.

Heyyyayyy.....smoke weed everyday :NateDogg voice:

BTW - DirtyPictures, I do enjoy your Willie Nelson reference, but filmmaking and playing music are pretty difficult to compare. I seriously doubt there are any accomplished filmmakers who regularly sparked up on the set.

Hmm -- Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson, and the cast and crew of "Apocalypse Now" come to mind (if I recall correctly, Lawrence Fishburne mention in "Hearts of Darkness" that he and others were high the entire time they filmed the movie). Certainly, there are plenty of directors whose films suggest that they were high on something when they made them -- have you seen Jodorowsky's work?

But consistently good stoned filmmakers? No. Filmmaking is all about cocaine. Just ask Marty Scorsese.

In The Cutting Edge, the editor of (IIRC) Easy Rider said he cut the whole film while super high. The final product sucked so bad he had to get sober and re-cut the ENTIRE FILM. Just some food for thought.

I don't smoke, nor do I drink. I don't begrudge those who do.

However, for me, inebriation is not welcome on set. It is not welcome in a workplace. It is not professional, nor does it show passion, determination or merely allow you to conduct yourself in a manner that I would find suitable to partake in what I consider to be my career.

I have to trust my crew. I have to know they're 100% committed. It wouldn't happen. They wouldn't reach the door.

Drugs are bad, mmmkay? If you do drugs...you're bayad. :)

I smoke weed. Not particularly often, but semi-regularly enough (I find that I enjoy Sci-Fi movies a great deal more, when a little high). So, I'm not gonna pass judgment on anybody who enjoys it, at their own leisure. :D

But smoking on the set? Bad idea. Really bad idea.

It doesn't actually make you more creative. It changes your perception of things, but your creativity and productivity actually take a major downfall. Don't do it, dude. Save it for when you're just having fun, and stay professional on the set.

i totally understand and thats what i do i wasnt saying to smoke and go into a professional job nd film and all that.. im only 18 i still film with my buddies with no budget what so ever or skilled actors.. thats how i see a everyday filming at the moment..

i totally understand and thats what i do i wasnt saying to smoke and go into a professional job nd film and all that.. im only 18 i still film with my buddies with no budget what so ever or skilled actors.. thats how i see a everyday filming at the moment..

Right, but if you're interested in someday working with skilled actors, etc., the way to do that is to make quality films. And the chances are really good that you'll make better films (and thereby attract more people to work with) by keeping it clean on the set.

Right, but if you're interested in someday working with skilled actors, etc., the way to do that is to make quality films. And the chances are really good that you'll make better films (and thereby attract more people to work with) by keeping it clean on the set.

But... but... you're making film-making sound like hard work!

Back