Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Only when filming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
Okay, i made this poll to see how many film makers actually smoke marijuana. I want to see who smokes it to help them think more creatively for their movies, or if you just do it recreationally, or if you dont do it at all. all answers are fine haha so noone be shy :P if you do it, you shouldnt be secretive! everyone be involved! personally I do and it helps, i love it.

everyone help out and share about it :)

I've never smoked regular cigarettes, let alone anything stronger. I don't even like being in the same room as smoke. That said, I'm sort of a moral relativist and don't care for legal vs. illegal distinctions. I know people who have fallen into drug use and never climbed back out. I've known people who were fine with it. I've known those who were both more and less creative with it. Also, as a musician, I've known a lot of people who only THINK they're better while smoking/tripping/drinking ;)

I do drink my share, but rarely while in the studio or performing live. If done right, the art can be pretty mind-altering all by itself!

see thats what im looking for ha! yeah i know alot of people who have been eaten by drugs but theres a million artists that have used organic drugs like cannabis to enter a creative state, like bob marley or the beetles or all the disney movies and all that. im not saying hard drugs.. but the cheech does open a creative lane for me ;P i drink as well but i do that much more socially like at a party, not to film haha

I wouldn't recommend admitting to taking illegal drugs, even on a forum.

Lol. well put.

I'd say that, for people that smoke it, other people are a greater danger than that particular drug.

There are many out there that have zero personal experience, but thousands of hours of political or religious indoctrination on the subject. They will seek you out, judge you on criteria they don't understand, and then cause you harm, all based on the idea that they are saving you from harm. In college the cops busted this guy I knew down the hall in my dorm. He got thrown out of college, and they told him that giving him a criminal record and getting him kicked out of college was to "protect him from ruining his future"

To answer your question, a lot of crew I hire end up being recreational smokers. I'd say 75% or more of the artistic community in California. But it's legal here, so I'm sure percentages differ from state to state.

For the record, I personally don't take part in any illegal activities.

The day I realised I wanted to be in this line of work, I was scared cuz I was high and I didn't want to take seriously any idea I got while I was high.

Then I read a lot of biographies and paid more attention while watching movies or listening to music. I was kinnda relieved when I realized that I was not the only one (and that is an understatement).

I never used it while filming though cuz I never actually filmed. But I think I will as soon as I get the chance.

If you think that getting high on set will help your creativity to productivity ratio then you are sorely mistaken.

Kevin Smith is a case in point...

Last edited:
If you think that getting high on set will help your creativity to productivity ration then you are sorely mistaken.

Kevin Smith is a case in point...

haha i was going to say that! kevin smith is my idol director:D

btw i wouldnt admit to anything illegal either lol

EDIT. Wait i didnt relized you said mistaken lol :P

Last edited:
A film set is a dangerous place anyone smoking or drinking gets fired immediately! If you think you're more creative, think is the key word.

I agree that on set is hardly the time or place for crew to indulge in recreational activities, especially those that impair judgement. I don't care what the grips on my set do in their off hours, but I can't imagine someone being stupid enough to get drunk and try to use a flamethrower, or even a jib arm with a 160,000 dollar camera on it.

A good rule of thumb is to never put another person at risk to entertain yourself. That's just some common sense that many out there are missing.

I'd definitely fire crew for coming to work impaired in any way. In a connected point, don't keep your team awake for too long. I just got pushed into an emergency job and they kept me awake working for 51 hours. With no drugs or alchohol involved, I was definitely too far out of synch to run heavy machinery by 35 hours in. Fortunately that was a CGI gig, which is relatively safe.

If someone working for me was high OR drunk on set I would drop them incredibly fast. Just my take on it I guess but yeah.

I can think of one or two reasons why that might be problematic...

You got the point though.

Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson and Peter Fonda were high while shooting Easy Rider.

And we both know that Easy Rider is a great movie.

So, NO, MJ ain't an enemy of Cinema and NO I wouldn't allow anyone in a crew to smoke on set Most people can't handle themselves whether mentally or physically.

artists that have used organic drugs like cannabis to enter a creative state

Ive noticed that most of the time what stoners feel is creative and original turns out to be crap when looked at straight.
Anyone that works for me would be fired dead on the spot if I thought they were intoxicated in any way. Can you imagine someone telling a producer or other person thats writing you a check that they just smoked a bowl so they could get creative?

I would never do anything that could impair judgement on set, there are far too many ways people could get hurt. I've actually had to fire a very close friend over it.

Im all for people smoking pot and drinking, but not on set. not only is it dangerous and unprofessional, but it prevents work from getting done. Im filming my 48 hour film project this weekend and i told my friends (most of whom smoke pot) no toking up on set all day. outside of the set, i don't care.

as for creativity, when high, you think the ideas are flowing and spectacular. the next day you've forgotten them (you usually forget them minutes after you think of them) and if you did write them down, they're usually terrible.

basically, dont get stoned when working on a film. If your TRYING to jot down ideas way before anything is final, maybe, after that, no.

drinking is a given, its just dumb to do when on set, especially if your crew or director. (man, imagine a sh*t-faced director)

that isnt what i said lol.. i was saying like while thinking of the idea and edting aand shit, sorry im not in the big leagues like you guys i just make films with my friends with the money we have in our pockets.. thats what i still see when i talk bout filming sorry to get everyone so heated

Yeah, pot smoking kills your productivity. Instead of 89 albums (82 studio albums and 7 live), if Willie Nelson hadn't smoked pot he might have made 90!

Back