The Disaster Artist

I love The Room! It's definitely the best/worst movie that I've ever seen. It's life changing. Disaster Artist is great, but imho it's kinda difficult to top the room!

I wouldn't have said they were trying to top 'the room' with 'the disaster artist'. Ones a Biopic and ones a drama (later comedy).

I would also say that while I thought of Ed Wood while watching it, they again are two seperate beasts. One is a highly stylised flight of fancy that was made to suit the character, not the facts. TDA felt more like a straight movie that simply has a 'unique' individual at its centre.

Both moved me however. I think they are both ace.

As for the room itself, it's a wonderful oddity. Much like birdemic and ALLLLLL the movies on red letter medias best of the worst. I'm fascinated by really terrible movies.

Neil Breen is another of example of entertaining rubbish.

What's my point, directorik? Yes, of course, we are all entitled to our opinions. It's just that not all opinions are created equally.
I understand now. Thanks. We have a different view. I believe we are
all entitled to our opinions and each opinion is as equal as the other.
Even if a producer hasn't turned a profit I believe their opinion on a
movie is just as equal as a a producer who has. But now I understand
where you're coming from .

sfoster, is there stuff Tommy doesn't like about The Disaster Artist?
indietalk, it doesn't seem that bad on this video. Dave made a pretty big deal calling Tommy up on stage & saying he was the 1st person he had to thank. Dave whoa whoa'd him with an arm block, instead of a push. Dave probably rehearsed his speech to make sure it would fit in his limited time.

Tommy speaking would've been great TV though, I hope we find out what he was gonna say.
But Dave is probably a dick anyway cuz you are what you eat haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_81Peb7Atc4

I feel like the moment could have been saved by him offering him to step up to speak in the very end, to give him a few seconds. It's true he had started his speech already, but it still looked rude and didn't have to imo.

True, that would've been nice.
Has anyone seen the other performances? Was Franco the best actor?
The only one I've seen is Baby Driver, & that guy wasn't that impressive.
But it was a decent comedy/musical :weird:

Best Film Comedy/Musical Actor
Steve Carell, “Battle of the Sexes”
Ansel Elgort, “Baby Driver”
James Franco, “The Disaster Artist”
Hugh Jackman, “The Greatest Showman”
Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out”

I understand now. Thanks. We have a different view. I believe we are
all entitled to our opinions and each opinion is as equal as the other.
Even if a producer hasn't turned a profit I believe their opinion on a
movie is just as equal as a a producer who has. But now I understand
where you're coming from .

Okay, I'll play along. :devil:

Let's say you just met a friend at 7-11. As you're leaving the store, you're accosted by a homeless person begging for change. Mind you, I'm not judging this hypothetical homeless person, they've probably seen some really harsh things in their life. Regardless, their teeth are all chipped-out from smoking entirely too much rock. After you kindly give them the change in your pocket, they complain that you haven't given them enough. As you're walking away you can overhear them talking to their friend about how amazing "Transmorphers 4" is. Not "Transformers 4", but "Transmorphers 4". They insist it's on the level of anything put out by Hitchcock.

That person's opinion carries as much weight as yours on the subject of movies? :P

Last edited:
Lol, I just watched the clip of Franco blocking Wiseau from the mic. I'm of the opinion that it was probably a smart move.

Also, I just thought of one more point regarding opinions. Somewhere in this world, there is at least one person who doesn't like puppy-dogs, chocolate, or pizza. Should I ever meet this person, I won't be taking any movie recommendations from them. ;)

Okay, I'll play along. :devil:

Let's say you just met a friend at 7-11. As you're leaving the store, you're accosted by a homeless person begging for change. Mind you, I'm not judging this hypothetical homeless person, they've probably seen some really harsh things in their life. Regardless, their teeth are all chipped-out from smoking entirely too much rock. After you kindly give them the change in your pocket, they complain that you haven't given them enough. As you're walking away you can overhear them talking to their friend about how amazing "Transmorphers 4" is. Not "Transformers 4", but "Transmorphers 4". They insist it's on the level of anything put out by Hitchcock.

That person's opinion carries as much weight as yours on the subject of movies? :P
Yes.

I know you aren't judging this hypothetical person, neither am I. Their
economic status (homeless), their entitlement status (not given enough)
does not give their opinion on a movie less weight than mine. That
person's opinion is based on their experiences and is just as equal as mine.

In your scenario I would love to sit with the homeless guy and his friend
and listen to their discussion of "Transmorphers 4". Just because I have
some understanding of films and filmmaking I do not feel my opinion on
movies carries any more weight than someone who has never made a movie.
They have watched the movies and drawn an opinion from that. I respect
that even if I disagree with their conclusion.

But in that scenario that person did not watch Transmorphers 4. Or post the imdb! :P

haha awesome.
Did the guy actually watch Transformers 4 or Transmorphers 4?
What if this guy became homeless cuz he actually made Transmorphers 4 & he put all of his money into it?
How would We know if it was good or not? :)

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but I think it's possible that someone might think I'm actually being judgmental of homeless people. That's not an accusation but an honest statement that I'm worried someone might misunderstand where I'm coming from. For the record, I'm an active advocate for the rights of the homeless -- https://www.instagram.com/guerrilla.with.a.camera/

But just because I advocate for a person's right to exist and pursue happiness that doesn't mean I'm going to take movie advice from them. Here's another hypothetical:

Let's say a particularly well-known person, who was born into wealth, and for some reason chose to look like an orangutan, tweets that "Transmorphers 4 is, like, the most intelligent movie. So intelligent. So great. Better than Citizen Kane. Don't know why so many losers like Citizen Kane. Sad."

Okay, so I guess that person's opinion is technically valid, but that person also happens to be a liar and they read at the level of a fourth-grader. So if I'm standing in front of a Redbox, and Roger Ebert is telling me to check out the latest Meryl Streep movie, while an orange-faced rapist and Crackhead Steve are telling me to check out "Transmorphers 4", I'm going with the Meryl Streep movie.

Comparison: there are people who hold the opinion that global warming is a myth. Those people's opinions are wrong.

And back to my original point. If you love watching "Transmorphers 4", more power to 'ya! Do what you enjoy. But just know that if that's the case, I think your opinion on movies carries as much weight as the opinions of people who don't like puppy-dogs or chocolate. Which is to say that I trust their opinions on NOTHING.

directorik, as an experienced filmmaker, I would trust your recommendation and opinion on anything movie-related so much more than a random stranger walking down the street. Sure, they're welcome to their opinion, but they've never made a movie, so what the hell do they know?!

I've made a feature film that most people would say is "better" than either "Birdemic" or "The Room". I've won numerous awards at various film festivals. But, I'm yet to turn a profit.

*Key word being "yet". :)

What is a producer's job, if not to turn a profit? So, while my film is generally better-recieved than either of the other two previously mentioned, which producer has been most successful in doing their job of making money? Not me.

So who the F would I be to judge either of them. They did some crazy things. They made some whacky films. Those films made money. By definition, they are better film producers than I am.

For now. I have high hopes and expectations for my next one. :)

I would also say that while I thought of Ed Wood while watching it, they again are two seperate beasts. One is a highly stylised flight of fancy that was made to suit the character, not the facts. TDA felt more like a straight movie that simply has a 'unique' individual at its centre.
Makes sense. I wonder if that's why TDA is much more successful than Ed Wood. Aside from being B&W, Ed was surrounded by a lot of weird people while Tommy was surrounded by regular people, so maybe it's easier for the audience to relate to TDA.
I guess Franco & Rogan have a lot to do with it too. Depp wasn't a big draw yet, Ed Wood was in '94, Pirates was in '03.

Last edited:
Let's take it easy on the politics, okay? I would hate for this
interesting discussion to be derailed.
directorik, as an experienced filmmaker, I would trust your recommendation and opinion on anything movie-related so much more than a random stranger walking down the street. Sure, they're welcome to their opinion, but they've never made a movie, so what the hell do they know?!
They know what they liked. They have seen the movie and their
opinion is based on their experience of watching the movie. What
does the experience of making a movie have to do with watching
a movie?

I have never cooked a meal at a diner. I love eating at diners. My
opinion of the food I eat carries just as much weight as the opinion
of an experienced four star chief. Do you believe that MY opinion on
the food I have eaten doesn't hold as much weight as that of an
experienced chief? After all, I ate the food and I know how that meal
affected me. If I disliked it and the experienced chief loved it, so what?
I still didn't like it. And it's ONLY my opinion. Just because I disliked
the food doesn't make the food at that diner bad.

And back to my original point. If you love watching "Transmorphers 4", more power to 'ya! Do what you enjoy. But just know that if that's the case, I think your opinion on movies carries as much weight as the opinions of people who don't like puppy-dogs or chocolate. Which is to say that I trust their opinions on NOTHING.
I know you loved “Avatar”. I hated it. I mean truly, deeply hated that
movie. So now you cannot trust my opinion on any movie? I guess
that means I cannot trust your opinion on any movie because you like
that movie.

Yet I do.

When you are not angrily passing judgment on people for their opinions
of movies I enjoy reading about what you like and what you don't. Even
though you and I may disagree I feel your opinion holds as much weight
as mine.

So where does that leave us? You and I have a different opinion on having
an opinion. Do you feel my opinion on this matter has less weight than
yours?

Lol, yep, I LOVE James Cameron's "Avatar". I think it's kinda the best move ever.

I'm also really really sleepy and maybe I've had too many beers tonight so I'll reserve my comments to just confirming what we already know. I love "Avatar"! :D

Best wishes to all.

I think you're both right, directorik & CF.
The disagreement here may be partly due to the words being used.
When directorik says all opinions are Equal, I think he means all opinions are valid because movies are subjective. A person's reaction to a film is a result of many reasons: their history, experiences, psychology, personality, etc. There's no right or wrong reaction, it's simply how they feel. So their opinion is equal to anyone else's.

When CF says an opinion Carries More Weight, he means it in relation to his Own movie tastes. He's trying to figure out if that guy's tastes agree with his own. So CF, let's instead say you want to find an opinion that's In Line With Your Own Taste. Trying to do that from the guy's appearance or dislike of other things in life isn't going to be accurate. The best way is to find out what the guy thinks about a large number of films. But with your limited time, you have to base your guess on what the guy says. If the guy says he dislikes a movie you & a lot of other people like, then it's reasonable for you to think the guy has different film tastes from yours.

So all opinions are Equal, but some are more In Line With Your Own Taste.
How's that?

I appreciate where you're coming from, Buscando, but you were not able to sum up my words on this matter.

No, I'm saying that some people's opinions are not worth listening to. They do not matter. My butthole is stinkier than other people's buttholes, sorry, it's true. I'm not here to impress anybody, so I don't care if anyone gets angry at me for saying that.

My voice is listened to by so many people. And that's because I'm a filmmaker who specializes in making films that are silly and fun. By definition, that means that my thoughts and opinions on life and stuff carry more weight than the thoughts and opinions of people who aren't capable of doing what I do. My thoughts and opinions will be remembered by history. Most people's won't.

And again, this entire discussion comes down to the issue of making money. That's what movie producers are supposed to do. The person who has made the most money in filmmaking is the person who is the ultimate authority figure. Uhhhh, gee, 'ya ever wonder why I'm a fan of James Cameron?

"Avatar" made 2.7 billion in just a few months, directorik. There are three sequels planned, and I feel pretty confidant that they're going to turn a profit. School's in session. We should take notes.

Last edited:
I'm glad you made it clearer.
Now I know that I don't agree with you haha :)
How many people do listen to your voice?

Lol, lots. I'm an award-winning filmmaker. I feel weird saying that, but it's technically true. I'm kinda good at pointing cameras at people. :D

Back