The case FOR Pirate DVD's...

CommanderGoat said:
What I don't get is, if you're going to BUY a pirated DVD, why not and just wait to get a legal disc when it is released? You're spending money anyway, plus, your arguements seem to support more along the lines of - stay at home and watch DVDs, screw the crappy cinemas - vs. - long live pirated DVDs- I guess I don't get how pirated DVDs plays into the comfort of watching DVDs at home. And if you're paying for it, someone's getting your money.

Because I work with a community of film makers and for the most part hate having to wait 6 months to discuss a film they have seen because my crap cinema is showing Harry Potter in 5 out of 6 screens. So I buy a pirate if I have to. Watch it. Bin it (I've still spent less than at the cinema), then buy the DVD when It comes out. I still support the industry.

Cinematic directors mostly want their audience to see their films in the cinema- mostly. Soderbergh is experiementing with simultaneous release. I like his willingness to experiment - although I can't say I liked "Schizopolis". For many people without access to a good "art house" theatre, the movie going has been eroded by a ridiculous amount of commercials, sterile "mall like"environments.. the architecture is crap, the food is crap, and most of the films are crap. Why bother? Because I love the wide screen! I hate watching films intended for the large screen on my laptop or television. My dream is to see Michael Mann's "Heat" on 70mm at IMAX.

I love the cinema. Well loved.

And that's my point. I go to the cinema but due to various factors - poor sound, annoying people, lack of choice... I can't enjoy the cinema.

Soderbergh releaises that Cinema and more relevant release scedules are out moded ways to watching films. He knows that due to cinemas being over crowded and poorly run that it's dirivng people to piracy as the alternative.

It's this ground breaking thinking that will drive the industry forward. And probably aid in eliminating the NEED for piracy!

The one about censorship? It was (In the biggest irony to date) censored!!! The mods have taken it down for 'review'.

A debate about censorship being censored. Kinda funny no?

mr-modern-life said:
The one about censorship? It was (In the biggest irony to date) censored!!! The mods have taken it down for 'review'.

A debate about censorship being censored. Kinda funny no?

Your thread was about moderator actions, not censorship in general. We have a rule that you please PM a moderator or admin when you have a dispute, and not start a thread. I received a few PMs and will respond to them. Thanks

This thread is about DVDs, so let's get back on topic. As far as the censorsip, I am answering some PMs, and looking into all the situations. If the rule needs to be tweaked it can be, but don't blame the mods, they are just enforcing the rule as it is written. I am going to look at everything. Suggestions can be PMed to me. Okay, back to thread.

mr-modern-life said:
Because I work with a community of film makers and for the most part hate having to wait 6 months to discuss a film they have seen because my crap cinema is showing Harry Potter in 5 out of 6 screens.

Well where are they seeing these movies? You're not confined to one cinema. I don't know the layout of the UK at all, so you may live in the middle of nowhere, but I drive 21 miles (34 km), about 40 minutes, across town just to independent movies.

CommanderGoat said:
but I drive 21 miles (34 km), about 40 minutes, across town just to independent movies.
At least you have a theatre that shows indie films. Every theatre in my county is owned (in this case, Pwned) by some huge, faceless corporation. I've never seen an indie film in any of these theatres. Not once.

They refused to show The Aristocrats. When I called them and asked why they wouldn't show it, I got the standard "that's a corporate decision" answer. :cry:

mrde50 said:
At least you have a theatre that shows indie films. Every theatre in my county is owned (in this case, Pwned) by some huge, faceless corporation. I've never seen an indie film in any of these theatres. Not once.

Yeah, I guess I'm lucky to have independent theaters near me.

CommanderGoat said:
Well where are they seeing these movies? You're not confined to one cinema. I don't know the layout of the UK at all, so you may live in the middle of nowhere, but I drive 21 miles (34 km), about 40 minutes, across town just to independent movies.

Nearest other cinema to be is around an hour in a town called Brighton. And it's not much better.

We have one cimena in Brighton that shows Indie films but again thats hard to get to.

I guess I'm the only person on this thread/board who ahs ever watched or bought a pirate DVD. Sorry for being so immoral!

As for breaking laws (and I know this is kinda off topic in a way) but how willing are you, as a film maker, to break laws to get the shot? I guess I'm just trying to see where the moral line does lie.

For me, if I have to, I will bend a few laws. Filming without permits, road law violations... as long as no one person or proerty gets hurt. My thoughts are always that sometimes it's easier to go round laws that to get permission to not breakthem.

mr-modern-life said:
For me, if I have to, I will bend a few laws. Filming without permits, road law violations... as long as no one person or proerty gets hurt. My thoughts are always that sometimes it's easier to go round laws that to get permission to not breakthem.
Well, here's a good example that relates to the original topic:

Copying DVDs is illegal: I won't do it.

Filming without a permit is illegal: I don't agree with this at all. If I walked outside with a 35MM still camera and I took a picture of a tree on the side of the road, is that illegal? Hell no. What if I were "filming" it with a motion camera? Possibly yes.

After extensive research and talking to the county's film commission, here are the steps required to get a film permit:

• Submit your completed script to the county for approval.
This is a red flag right here. As long as my script isn't pr0n, what do you care? Just recently, a million-dollar pr0n production was filmed in downtown St. Petersburg. This news his CNN.

• You must have $1 Million in insurance.
I understand and agree to this, but for a one man shop like me, there should be some sort of Indie permit or exception.

• The county will consider the application and has every right to deny it if it is not economically feasible to the county.
Oh, you mean if I don't bring a large crew that'll spend tons of money into the county, you'll probably tell me to go away?

Now you know why so many people break these laws. I don't want to break any laws, but I'm very disturbed over all these indie-unfriendly rules the industry has -- and it's all about money.

Whew! Guess I am lucky here. My city and county have no permit rules for film. I called the Mayor's Office and police before my first short and was told to 'go for it' even though we'd be on the sidewalks of very small downtown Port Clinton.

The state of Ohio's rules are that if you are in public, you can film. However, many municipalities have passed ordinances that require permits.

Funny I watche dthe making of Swingers (I think) and they talked about how they kept getting chased by Vegas PD because they were filming without permits.

See we dont have permit issues in the UK but we do have stupid idiots that call the police everytime they see a toy gun (despite may I add the three cameras, lights, and make up team) which resulted in a pant browning expereince of having a armed response unit point HK MP5's at us.

This isn;t a dig at any one but an observation : It's funny though how we choose to ignore laws and regulations that we feel are incorrect but then admonish others for breaking other laws we agree with.

What a strange and very human concept morality is... (human in terms of it being highly flawed!!!)

We've had the SWAT team called on us for a stunt, not to mention the dozens of Police and security officers harassing us.

Even making a film for class, it's nigh impossible to get insurance unless you have a budget. For no-budget filmmakers, where locations can really add the only production values, it hurts to be kicked out for filming a hand-held one-shotter.

I think the problem we're having with censorship is that after all the challenges to just get a production off the ground, in the can, and through post, a bad rating can squash a film's release.

On the other hand, it always depends on the content, the people rating the content, the laws and policies of the country, and current events (the twin tower removal in Spiderman was a rather picky subject).

I wouldn't change the way they rate films, but I would like to see penalties removed from unrated films in regards to the scope of thier potential release. Disclaimers should solve everything, and put the choice in the hands of the audience, where it really should be.

Back