The case FOR Pirate DVD's...

Spatula said:
Disclaimers should solve everything, and put the choice in the hands of the audience, where it really should be.
"I'd like to thank the Academy..."

Honestly, I couldn't agree with you MORE. But, of course, this solution is so simple it'll never work: No one would make money off it. :D

We have a cool thing in teh UK now - as well as rating teh film we get advice warnings on the posters. "Conatins strong scenes of Violence." and the like. An 18 rated film. May have strong violence. No Shit!

Naturally I rent all of these!!! It's like last year I picked up a pack of Nuts from a local shop. It actaully said on the back "this product may contain nuts". Tow things worry me about that.

1. Who is thick enough to but nuts then be shocked to find that their content is er nutty?
2. MAY contain nuts. What the fuck else does it contain?

My point? Rather than censor we now get spoon fed. I guess you really can win!

mr-modern-life said:
See we dont have permit issues in the UK but we do have stupid idiots that call the police everytime they see a toy gun (despite may I add the three cameras, lights, and make up team) which resulted in a pant browning expereince of having a armed response unit point HK MP5's at us.

Eeks! I make sure to let the local police know if I am filming, especially if I will have guns on set (props...incapable of firing, which makes them legal according to local ordinance). They just ask that I call again when I'm finished.

We have 4 interconnected cities in my area to choose from all of which have no filming laws. This makes filming considerably easier. Generally, you should be able to film anywhere from private property that you have permission from the owner to film in/from. A couple of local phone calls are free/cheap and generally get you in much better graces with the local authorities/governing bodies. Relationships are everything in this business and those are important ones to have.

My orchestra teacher in High School had a wonderful take on life. Know the janitors on a first name basis...they are the ones who can get you anywhere in the building and anything you need once you are there. Identify the folks who are the actual "make it happen" folks in your city and take them out for coffee and talk about your film projects...they're too busy, bring coffee to them ;) I'm reasonably certain you're not above bribery to make filmmaking easier for yourself.

Back on the topic (sorry):

You should actually check into the cost of opening your own theater. I always tell my kids not to complain about problems they are not willing to put forth effort to solve (they don't always listen to this sage advice). Business loans/like minded financial backing is generally easy to come by, especially if you come with a sound business plan that fills a need in your area. Even being able to open a 1-3 screen establishment would benefit your community directly and success would force the big chain to rethink their programming as they lose customers to you.

mr-modern-life said:
We have a cool thing in teh UK now - as well as rating teh film we get advice warnings on the posters. "Conatins strong scenes of Violence." and the like. An 18 rated film. May have strong violence. No Shit!

Naturally I rent all of these!!! It's like last year I picked up a pack of Nuts from a local shop. It actaully said on the back "this product may contain nuts". Tow things worry me about that.

1. Who is thick enough to but nuts then be shocked to find that their content is er nutty?
2. MAY contain nuts. What the fuck else does it contain?

My point? Rather than censor we now get spoon fed. I guess you really can win!

As bad as toothpicks with instructions! :hmm:

knightly said:
You should actually check into the cost of opening your own theater. I always tell my kids not to complain about problems they are not willing to put forth effort to solve (they don't always listen to this sage advice). Business loans/like minded financial backing is generally easy to come by, especially if you come with a sound business plan that fills a need in your area. Even being able to open a 1-3 screen establishment would benefit your community directly and success would force the big chain to rethink their programming as they lose customers to you.

In honesty I did. But the profit margins are so small that it didnt seem worth it. It's a hard business to make work. Also in teh twon I live we have two cinemas so another may be over kill.

There's no easy solution to all this, I know.

Funny i complained to my cinema about the state of the seats, the smell and the loud, annoying customers. They send a letter back saying a refit is planned and as an appology... have 4 free tickets!

Oh the irony!

Back