Super Summer Contest Stage One!

Well Ernest, so am I.

But, at the moment, we don't really have enough scripts to make this a really fun competition. I know there are bags of writers out there and I know how long it takes to write a four page script, so I don't see why we can't get a lot more entries in the next couple of the days.

At the moment we have four or five, but I'd like... let's say ten.

Nick if you wanted I can probably pop another on a different story that has no submission. Just to kinda keep it lively and active...lemme know

Nick if you wanted I can probably pop another on a different story that has no submission. Just to kinda keep it lively and active...lemme know

Yeah, please do!

No worries about which stories to choose by the way, we haven't had any double submissions yet and, as I've said before, it doesn't matter if one or two double up, so long as there's a range.

:)

I'm still in. Haven't chosen my story, yet. No extension needed.

Well, an extension must be needed! :)

If people do have scripts then please try and get them to me today or tomorrow at the latest. I've received a fair few now and that's enough to run the competition with but it would be great to have some more. As always: the more the merrier! :cool:

Since judging for Stage One occurred over a month can we trickle a few late entries over the next week?

(Yes. I am BAAAAD. Verry verry unabashedly baaaaad).

Seriously, there's an argument to be made over reading everything and making a visceral knee-jerk first impression vote - as well as - for a somewhat seasoned "which idea lingered in your mind" vote.

The difference between sugar and sage.

Since judging for Stage One occurred over a month can we trickle a few late entries over the next week?

(Yes. I am BAAAAD. Verry verry unabashedly baaaaad).

Seriously, there's an argument to be made over reading everything and making a visceral knee-jerk first impression vote - as well as - for a somewhat seasoned "which idea lingered in your mind" vote.

The difference between sugar and sage.

I understand about 40% of what you just said.

From what I can understand- I've already received about six screenplays. If there are another two days open then I'd expect a few more to come in. Then I'll post them all up.

Voting for Stage One is closed now, by the way.

Thanks Ray! :)

Right, so there's about 48 hours left to submit. In order to make choosing a concept easier for floating voters, I thought I'd post a list of the stories that have already been adapted. Feel free to write another version if that's what you'd like, but it might help you if you'd prefer your script to be unique:

ABC
Actor's Call Back
Insertion
Mantis
Producer
The Joy

As always; the more the merrier (and feel free to double up).

Well, an extension must be needed! :)

If people do have scripts then please try and get them to me today or tomorrow at the latest. I've received a fair few now and that's enough to run the competition with but it would be great to have some more. As always: the more the merrier! :cool:

Oops. Thanks, good sir. Will send it tonight! :)

Right.

I've been away this weekend and I'm still only on iPad but when I get home this evening I'll be posting the scripts. If you've written one but not sent it or still want to write something THERE IS STILL TIME but it's running out!

Please send anything else as soon as possible but certainly by 00:00 BST tonight!

The scripts from Stage Two will be going live in THREE HOURS AND THIRTY SEVEN MINUTES.

That means you have three hours and thirty seven minutes to send me any scripts that you would like considered for Stage Two!

As always, please send to:
nick@theclapperbored.com

Woo-Hoo!

Now that it’s been officially announced that my story “ABC” won Stage One, I just wanted to thank everybody for the votes and the boost in confidence. I can only assume I won because of the amount of detail I put into it, rather than writing the most original, intriguing concept going… But I’ll definitely take that as a compliment!

Also, I just wanted to explain some of the decisions I made when writing… In the very first thread for this competition, it was originally specified that the Stage One concepts should be in the form of a short story, which I took to mean prose. I wrote “ABC” almost straight away, before everybody started requesting the option to submit a few-lines-worth of concept. This is the reason that there is so much in there that is, realistically, un-filmable. I originally started writing this in the third-person, but soon changed it to first-person as it read much better. As I was writing, I did consider the words being read as a narration, but couldn’t get Bruce Willis’ “Sin City” voice out of my head. Still, all of this, I decided to leave as-is, to give the Stage Two entrants something to do!

I haven’t yet read the scripts that have been written for my story, so I don’t know how they go. But if were to Screen-write this, or shoot it, I’d possibly add an extra scene or two to extend the story (perhaps a scene in a bar, where the bar-tender asks what’s wrong with the shooter, before we flash back to the events portrayed in my story), or perhaps I’d add a text crawl at the start and finish, to explain the missing elements of the story (maybe the use of clones has become a serious problem within organised crime, so the government has set up a task force to assassinate the clones?).

Whatever… I can’t wait to read the scripts for Stage Two. Everybody get over there and start voting! Here’s the thread: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=34182

Thanks again, everybody!

Woo-Hoo!

Now that it’s been officially announced that my story “ABC” won Stage One, I just wanted to thank everybody for the votes and the boost in confidence. I can only assume I won because of the amount of detail I put into it, rather than writing the most original, intriguing concept going… But I’ll definitely take that as a compliment!

Also, I just wanted to explain some of the decisions I made when writing… In the very first thread for this competition, it was originally specified that the Stage One concepts should be in the form of a short story, which I took to mean prose. I wrote “ABC” almost straight away, before everybody started requesting the option to submit a few-lines-worth of concept. This is the reason that there is so much in there that is, realistically, un-filmable. I originally started writing this in the third-person, but soon changed it to first-person as it read much better. As I was writing, I did consider the words being read as a narration, but couldn’t get Bruce Willis’ “Sin City” voice out of my head. Still, all of this, I decided to leave as-is, to give the Stage Two entrants something to do!

I haven’t yet read the scripts that have been written for my story, so I don’t know how they go. But if were to Screen-write this, or shoot it, I’d possibly add an extra scene or two to extend the story (perhaps a scene in a bar, where the bar-tender asks what’s wrong with the shooter, before we flash back to the events portrayed in my story), or perhaps I’d add a text crawl at the start and finish, to explain the missing elements of the story (maybe the use of clones has become a serious problem within organised crime, so the government has set up a task force to assassinate the clones?).

Whatever… I can’t wait to read the scripts for Stage Two. Everybody get over there and start voting! Here’s the thread: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=34182

Thanks again, everybody!

I think that the voting rewarded you for craftsmanship.

You're right that I originally said 'short stories' and later relaxed that to concept pitches as well. There were only a couple of stories that actually took the form of short stories and, notably, they were trickier to visualise as films. However, I'm pleased that you were rewarded for doing something a little braver, that's certainly why I gave you my top vote. :)

If people are curious then they are welcome to disclose who wrote which short stories. I, of course, know but will leave it up to people to say.

And, yes, please get reading Stage Two!

But if were to Screen-write this, or shoot it, I’d possibly add an extra scene or two to extend the story (perhaps a scene in a bar, where the bar-tender asks what’s wrong with the shooter, before we flash back to the events portrayed in my story), or perhaps I’d add a text crawl at the start and finish, to explain the missing elements of the story (maybe the use of clones has become a serious problem within organised crime, so the government has set up a task force to assassinate the clones?).

...And you'll make a mistake... :)

If someone makes Mantis and does a good job on the dialogue recording I'll consider sound designing it with you.

I wrote that one in 3 minutes before the deadline.

And, I thought of a possible improvement to the story, where the kid doesn't pick up a hitchhiker (cliche...) He stops to get gas and the person in front of him in line is the murderer, carrying a sack with a blonde hair hanging out of it - might be better... Then you don't have to spend time thinking up dialogue - it could practically be a silent/sound designy piece.

And, I tried to write it with production difficulty in mind. I doesn't require a bunch of props or special effects or anything - just a kid in a car driving on a highway and stopping at a gas station. All in present day. Easy.

Last edited:
If someone makes Mantis and does a good job on the dialogue recording I'll consider sound designing it.

I wrote that one in 3 minutes before the deadline.

And, I thought of a possible improvement to the story, where the kid doesn't pick up a hitchhiker (cliche...) He stops to get gas and the person in front of him in line is the murderer, carrying a sack with a blonde hair hanging out of it - might be better... Then you don't have to spend time thinking up dialogue - it could practically be a silent/sound designy piece.

And, I tried to write it with production difficulty in mind. I doesn't require a bunch of props or special effects or anything - just a kid in a car driving on a highway and stopping at a gas station. All in present day. Easy.

I believe that Mantis was one of the stories adapted into a screenplay for Stage Two so the dream might yet happen :)

Back