Summer Glau curse?

Summer Glau is a shapely, talented actress, but every TV series that she's appeared in as a regular or semi-regular has been cancelled. So this has led many on the web to ask if there is a Summer Glau curse. I guess it all depends on your belief system, but I'm superstitious.

Stuff like that is kinda silly. The same (and related) is often said for Tim Minear, who hasn't had a series last more than 14 episodes...except all the work he did on Angel, and now American Horror Story has been picked up for a second season...

The fact of the matter is this: Summer Glau takes roles in a lot of quirky genre shows. One would assume that's what she likes. Firefly was brilliant, but the network didn't really care about it. Sarah Connor was great, but it was pull the plug on that or Dollhouse and they opted to give Dollhouse a second season (glad they did, personally, and hey, Summer ended up there too!) Haven't seen the Cape yet, but superhero stuff is always hit or miss anyway. The point is, she's always going to do stuff I want to watch, and she's always good. The stuff she chooses is not going to appeal to most people. I think if you got her on a syfy network, or other cable network show, it'd be just fine.

As said JoshL, it has more to do with the fact that genre shows have not the favor of the networks and of the audience these days: 80% of them die after one season.
And Summer's performance was always a great addition to all shows she played in, which granted her the name of sci-fi queen.

It looks like she wants to give another turn to her career though and quit (not definitively?) the sci-fi genre though. At least that's how i read her recent gig in a drama pilot for TNT (cable network).
Source : Summer Glau in Scent Of The Missing Pilot

There's also the Star Trek curse - every odd numbered Star Trek movie is a bad one, and that everyone who wears a red shirt in the old series would die. So what would happen if Summer Glau starred in a prime numbered Star Trek movie and wore a red shirt???

I liked Star Trek #1, but not other odd-numbered ones. Star Trek 11 was good, as a reboot but didn't do anything for me, and I'm not sure I want to see what happens next.

So I'd say the curse is (almost) valid - except for the first one.

I was talking 1, 3 and 5. Im not a big next gen person.

2, 4, 6 were great but my point was that i dont think 1, 3 and 5 are bad. At worst they're just ok-ish. Peronally, i enjoy watching them.

Just my opinion, though :)

I disagree that she is shapely or a talented actress,I will agree that most of the shows she's on get canned with in a few seasons but to call it a curse is just foolish. She tends to get roles in shows that don't have a huge demo. I for one really enjoyed The Cape but even with comic base movies doing super well it's not something the every day tv viewer wants to watch.

Maybe if John Newton (Supperboy),Gerard Christopher(Superboy),Dean Cain (Lois and Clark) and Tom Welling (Smallville) all die this year and all by say odd means then I will buy into this TV/Movie superstition crap.

I was talking 1, 3 and 5. Im not a big next gen person.

2, 4, 6 were great but my point was that i dont think 1, 3 and 5 are bad. At worst they're just ok-ish. Peronally, i enjoy watching them.

I'm not sure that I can associate with you anymore. I'm going to do you a favor, and not tell Dready about this. ;)

Seriously, though -- #5 isn't bad?! OMG, they fight a God! And win!!! :lol:

I'm not sure that I can associate with you anymore. I'm going to do you a favor, and not tell Dready about this. ;)

Seriously, though -- #5 isn't bad?! OMG, they fight a God! And win!!! :lol:

:lol:

I like the original crew and there are plenty of laughs in 3 and 5 to keep you going.

Im going to have to watch my back if we cross paths, aren't i?

I liked Star Trek #1, but not other odd-numbered ones. Star Trek 11 was good, as a reboot but didn't do anything for me, and I'm not sure I want to see what happens next.

Wasn't #11 "Nemesis"? THE WORST FREAKIN' STAR TREK MOVIE EVER?? That one?

Urgh. If you liked #11 and favor it over the reboot... I... I don't think we can associate on the same internet anymore. :P

Romulan: I am a clone of you, Picard!

Picard: Oh noes, he is a clone! That means I is am capable of being bad evil man!

Romulan: It's a good think the writers of this movie don't know jack about science or cloning, or we'd have to stop this plot right now!

Picard: Leave me alone! Go give Riker a pointless fight scene or something so he can pretend he's not old and fat! *sniffle*

Back