Stuff in the Backgound

I was on a shoot today where shit in the background kept popping up. You know, stuff that shouldn't be in the shot, BUT IS!

I have a behind the shoulder shot with a C-stand clearly visible. Did I see it? Nooo!

Give me your best "production shit in the shot" story and win a toaster, mine...:D

My brother was visiting from out of town, and wanted to see what a lo-budget film set was like.

We happened to be filming the last third of Crack Whore out in the desert, so I had him come along. Put him to work as PA/Grip.

Scene is all set up and we're about to roll, so he chills & stretches out on a sofa.

We do two takes of the scene, with two manned cameras being run (and a third person watching the monitor).

Not one single person noticed my brother, sprawled out & half-asleep, on the sofa... in the direct center of the shot... and directly behind the three actors doing their thing. :lol:

The guy downloading all the footage caught it about an hour later.

I have a screengrab of that somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it.

Edit: May I present...

tiredgrip.jpg

Last edited:
I could post a good amount of the Wickerman footage we shot a few weeks ago. It's like the book "Where's Waldo". Only it's "Where's Brian, Steve and Jeff?"

Yes, there are some frames with all three of us in the shot. :D Polish firing squad indeed! My bad, my bad...

Scene is all set up and we're about to roll, so he chills & stretches out on a sofa.
Haha, we had the same thing in our first project.
We were filming a shoot out and in one scene an actor lies on the sofa...behind the person, who actually should be shooting at him :D
In another scene, you see a bottle of beer, that should not be there. Then the actor does a little step to the next corner. Camera follows him and you see an actress drinking beer in the background. Again, that actress should be shooting at him.
It was a very chaotic shoot. Fortunately, we noticed the mistakes early enough.

Apart from that, we often had/have the script lying around, the tripod in the background, audio recorder...

I can keep it to about two three second shots in a 40 second scene. I have coverage, but I need this angle to keep the monotony down.

Fellow moviemakers might recognise it for what it is, but the average Joe will not give it a second thought. I mean there is clearly a puppeteer in Gremlins and it didn't spoil the fun until someone pointed it out.:) So maybe you shouldn't mention it to anyone...........:)

Back