Star Wars Ep 7 trailer.

I presume this is the proper trailer. If so, I don't see anything to indicate there is a story to go along with the pretty CGI.

#1 it's a teaser, it's not meant to reveal anything but rather to leave you asking questions and wanting more. C'mon, any aspiring mogul should understand the purpose of a teaser!
#2 it's JJ Abrams, even when it's not just a teaser he doesn't like to give anything away. Imho he takes it to such an extreme that he has dinged his box office on the non-franchise films, but it's his thing and he likes it that way.

Well, that was quick. Apparently the new version didn't go over so well with George Lucas, so he's released a newly updated one himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93Jh6JNBng

Thanks for this! I hadn't seen it. :lol::lol:

These edited versions are going viral, which means the fan base is NOT happy with what they think will be coming out. And that's good news for aspiring moguls. :)

That's quite an assumption. What makes you say that? And how do you mean "that's good news for aspiring moguls"? I don't get it :huh:

How is it good news for aspiring moguls if the fan base of a major franchise
do not like the movies made?

It is good. because it provides an opening for an aspiring mogul to come out with a movie that will satisfy a need that hasn't been satisfied.

I don't know if the fan base is unhappy, but I don't want a bad sequel; in fact, I want a good one, because Ep 5 was my inspiration.

It is good. because it provides an opening for an aspiring mogul to come out with a movie that will satisfy a need that hasn't been satisfied.

So you're planning on making a Star Wars movie? I'm not sure what else would satisfy fans of Star Wars that aren't satisfied with the upcoming sequel.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with unsatisfied Star Wars fans. They aren't unsatisfied (assuming that's the case at all) because the trailer doesn't deliver what they're looking for in a sci-fi movie, they're unsatisfied because it doesn't deliver what they're looking for in a Star Wars movie. Likewise, if they are satisfied it doesn't mean they're no longer interested in other sci-fi stuff - so I can't see how it has any bearing on your plans at all.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with unsatisfied Star Wars fans. They aren't unsatisfied (assuming that's the case at all) because the trailer doesn't deliver what they're looking for in a sci-fi movie, they're unsatisfied because it doesn't deliver what they're looking for in a Star Wars movie. Likewise, if they are satisfied it doesn't mean they're no longer interested in other sci-fi stuff - so I can't see how it has any bearing on your plans at all.

If they're not satisfied with the CGI-focused movies coming out, they will be looking for movies which tell good stories, and that would be a niche I can fill.

I haven't seen anyone complaining about the new Star Wars being too CGI-focused. In fact, I've seen quite a bit of interest in the fact that Abrams is specifically trying to use more practical stuff than Lucas did in the prequels. And while not everyone likes Abrams take on Star Trek, the complaints tend to be focused on the way he changed the tone of the series, not on a lack of good storytelling. I really think people's reactions to this have little or no bearing on their potential interest in anything you can produce.

Now that's not to say there isn't a niche for good story-driven sci-fi. There certainly is, and there actually have been quite a few films targeted at that niche - but it's a different space than the summer blockbuster space that's occupied by films like Star Wars, and I don't know that there's a huge crossover in the audience for the two.

I'm missing the logic. Sci-Fi fans and movie fans in general look
for movies which tell good stories all the time. They don't stop
looking when they are satisfied with movies coming out. And
they don't start looking when they are not satisfied with movies
coming out.

If a movie franchise like SW fails because fans are not satisfied
it hurts other Sci-Fi projects. It doesn't offer aspiring moguls
more opportunities. You should be hoping fans ARE satisfied
and pay big money to see the new SW films. Studios will then
look for more and more movies like them. THEN you fill that
need.

I love the George Lucas version of the teaser, but I'll admit to getting giddy as a schoolboy, while watching the actual teaser at least ten times in a row upon its release. The scant footage they shared looks really fantastic to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna dress up as Chewy for the release, which just so happens to be on my birthday. In preparation, I've been practicing my Chewbacca voice. I think my dogs think I'm crazy.

I love the George Lucas version of the teaser, but I'll admit to getting giddy as a schoolboy, while watching the actual teaser at least ten times in a row upon its release. The scant footage they shared looks really fantastic to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna dress up as Chewy for the release, which just so happens to be on my birthday. In preparation, I've been practicing my Chewbacca voice. I think my dogs think I'm crazy.

LOL

I like the teaser trailer.
The first shot is pretty effective: the stormtrooper (?) popped up and my heart accellerated.
And the final shot was really like I wa a kid again: 'wow, on a ride with the Millenium Falcon again!'
I have no clue what the story will be about (besides darkside vs jedi), but it's just cool to see some stuff :)

Everyone who is complaining forgets 2 things:
- it's a teaser
- you ain't see nothing yet

These edited versions are going viral, which means the fan base is NOT happy with what they think will be coming out.

I disagree. I think people are making the edited versions because it's relatively easy (if you're good at VFX) and they know more people are inclined to watch it than an original video these people produce. Which, in turn, is a great way to drive traffic back to their channel. Like that video called "Episode 7 Trailer: George Lucas's Special Edition" It's got almost as many views as the real trailer.

Now that's not to say there isn't a niche for good story-driven sci-fi. There certainly is, and there actually have been quite a few films targeted at that niche - but it's a different space than the summer blockbuster space that's occupied by films like Star Wars, and I don't know that there's a huge crossover in the audience for the two.

Well, I've been doing some informal research, and the audience seems to fall into two categories:

1) Some say special effects (sfx) is as important as the story;
2) Some say sfx is less important than the story - this category can be subdivided into those who say sfx is not very important, and those who say sfx is quite important.

I haven't heard of anyone saying CGI is more important than the story, so, given my budget limitations, I will focus on the story, though I must also have some sfx.

I'm missing the logic. Sci-Fi fans and movie fans in general look
for movies which tell good stories all the time. They don't stop
looking when they are satisfied with movies coming out. And
they don't start looking when they are not satisfied with movies
coming out.

If a movie franchise like SW fails because fans are not satisfied
it hurts other Sci-Fi projects. It doesn't offer aspiring moguls
more opportunities. You should be hoping fans ARE satisfied
and pay big money to see the new SW films. Studios will then
look for more and more movies like them. THEN you fill that
need.

Using basic principles of supply and demand, if the fans have the time and money to watch one good franchise, and there are two, then one franchise will fall by the wayside.

That said, no one knows anything about film, as I now realize, so there can be a bubble which does not burst. If I remember correctly, when I was at the AFM in 2012, almost everyone was into horror, so I thought they were going to crash with oversupply. But three made it big, which was a surprise. So who knows what will happen if SW's makes it big again.

Using basic principles of supply and demand, if the fans have the time and money to watch one good franchise, and there are two, then one franchise will fall by the wayside.
That explains your strange take on the SW trailer.

Fans do not pick one franchise and watch nothing else until
they are disappointed and then move on to watch one franchise.
The fact that so many franchises succeed should make that very
obvious. Just because fans like "The Avenges" doesn't mean they
don't have the time and money to watch "Batman". Just
because fans like "Gotham""Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." doesn't
mean they don't have the time to watch"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.".

The success of "Star Wars" in 1977 revived the Star Trek franchise
in 1979. One did not fall by the wayside - both good franchises
thrived. The success of the Harry Potter franchise starting in 2001
did not cause the Lord of the Rings franchise, also starting in 2001,
to fall by the wayside.

Fans are wildly diverse. They will find the money and the time to
watch more than one good franchise.

SDCC Star Wars 2015

The first movie I ever saw in the theater when I was 5 years old was the original Star Wars, now called A NEW HOPE. I don't hate the prequels, although I concede they are not great and they pale in comparison to the originals.

This whole new crop of things interest me, but not like they did when the prequels were coming out. The first teaser was good. The 2nd way better.

But THIS....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNJ51ghzdY

Now THAT simple BTS pulled my heartstrings and has me truly excited about Star Wars again.

I have no doubt that this film (actually shot on celluloid no less) will dethrone TITANIC as #1 box office of all time.

Now THAT simple BTS pulled my heartstrings and has me truly excited about Star Wars again.
I don't know what to say. Ten thousand words are building up for an epic
post. For me (since I have such dislike for Episode IV) it's been 32 years
since I've been excited about a SW film. It's about damn time!

I don't know what to say. Ten thousand words are building up for an epic
post. For me (since I have such dislike for Episode IV) it's been 32 years
since I've been excited about a SW film. It's about damn time!

Don't get too excited - remember, it's JJ Abrams doing it. That said, the trailer does inspire me to continue with my dream.

The first movie I ever saw in the theater when I was 5 years old was the original Star Wars, now called A NEW HOPE. I don't hate the prequels, although I concede they are not great and they pale in comparison to the originals.

This whole new crop of things interest me, but not like they did when the prequels were coming out. The first teaser was good. The 2nd way better.

But THIS....

I have no doubt that this film (actually shot on celluloid no less) will dethrone TITANIC as #1 box office of all time.

I too first saw Star Wars when I was 5 years old, back when it was re-released in theaters in 1998.

Like many of us, the Star Wars films were the inception of our desire to make films, and they still sort of are for me, even now. I could not have been more pleased and excited with the first teaser trailer of Episode VII, not just because I got me pumped despite how little it showed, but "because" of how little it showed. Because I have been getting sick and irritated with how blatantly spoilerific trailers are these days. I'm sure in some ways trailers have always liked to show more than is necessary, even back in the 40s and 50s. But I think back in the day trailers used to have a sense of brevity, and said just enough to get your interest without showing you the entire plot in 2 minutes. Then-again, perhaps the problem is that we have far too many extended length "trailers" and not enough "teasers," and dedicated "teasers" for that matter: with content specifically shot just for it.

But I too was also surprised, impressed, and made just a little more confident in the work that J.J. is doing on the new Star Wars, when the Comic-Con reel was released. Because this is far more footage and reveals than I expected to see already. In some ways, I think it even ruins the magic a little bit, even though I know full well how films are made now that I've made them myself. But I think that alls shows a sort of vulnerability that the production is willing to expose, because they have confidence in their work and what they are doing, and this reel shows us that no matter what other things they may reveal in upcoming trailers and such, this thing is not going to disappoint like the last films did. They are ready and prepared to not let this one falter.

Do I think there's a chance that it could still end up more average and "okay" than the "UBER SPACE EPIC" that we all are hoping for? Of course I do. I think it's foolish in this day and age, and foolish at my own age (as an adult) to expect that everything is going to be super-special-awesome and will live up to everything the trailers seem to promise. And it's not because I've become jaded or that I've lost faith in the medium, but simply because I would rather keep my expectations realistic and leave the theater having gotten out of it all that I can, instead of leaving the theater feeling cheated that it didn't meet all of my bullet points.

Maybe Ep. VII will rekindle the magic of the original films like it so desperately wants to, and maybe it'll fall short of that. At the end of the day, I know that J.J. will have done his best. And no matter how the film turns out, I don't want to leave the theater this December saying that he failed to recaptured the magic. I'd rather leave saying, that was fun.

Back