Some Opinions

I guess there really isn't any sort of connection between the sounds and the visuals. My take on the whole thing was that I wanted to enhance the sounds I suppose and just try something different. Is it really that bad?

I guess there really isn't any sort of connection between the sounds and the visuals. My take on the whole thing was that I wanted to enhance the sounds I suppose and just try something different. Is it really that bad?
No, it isn't really that bad, but you asked for all criticism.

I felt the same way. I don't feel you enhanced the sounds.
You tried something different but it didn't work for me.

Maybe I am taking the wrong approach with sound and visuals then. Could you both explain a little more about this? When you say it doesn't work for you...what do you mean exactly? How would you describe enhancement of audio?

Thank you guys!

Art is so personal. I don’t think you are taking the wrong
approach. So two people didn’t get it. So what? You created what
was in your head. That’s what art is.

I don’t think I can explain. I can only tell you what I felt while
watching. I guess I could tell you what I would do, but that
isn’t, in my opinion, what you need. The kinds of movies I make
are very different.

But I would be interested in how YOU describe the enhancement of
audio. What does that mean to you?

I really don't "get" most experimental films. Doesn't mean I don't like watching 'em, though. :)

The only thing I can really add is that it looks unfinished, in the way it just abruptly stops as if that's as far as you got. Maybe it is. I dunno. There's no traditional signals, such as opening or closing credits or fade-outs, to tell me what's happening when - but then again, it's experimental in nature so maybe that's all deliberate choices by the artist.

Animation is awesome, generally. :cool:

When I think of enhancement. I generally think of times when audio doesn't quite fit the visual that you are looking at...but in an awkward way it does fit. Lets say if I had a dolly and was traveling toward an actor or item. I would like to add audio of the camera....does that make sense? I want you to notice the camera is panning or moving. I want to show that yes, the camera is racing toward this particular actor and its doing so so fast its similar to a freight train. I would add some sort of train noise with the camera as its moving toward them and then maybe as the camera stops, I would add the noise of a train/tram locking its brakes up to avoid a disaster.

Does that make sense?
]
@Zensteve

It was jsut for experimental purposes. It was late and I wanted to finally take my first step into filming anything at all. There is no opening/ending because to me thats just as i said before...a first step. I'd like to add to it later or even include that somewhere in an actual film. Maybe add it on the background of a monitor in an actual film.

Thanks to everyone!

I'd like more opinions. Talking with you guys is helping me out considerably.

Last edited:
Yep, that makes sense.

You know what? It looks like it was something you made when it was
late and just for experimental purposes. Usually when you post
your experimental, very first step into filmmaking it look like
what it is. Nothing wrong with that at all. But people are usually
going to notice that.

Now it’s time to make your next one. And the the one after that.

Working on more videos this week. These will actually aim to start and finish somewhere. I appreciate everyones comments. Im glad I found this place. Just starting out its easy to feel like your failing in something you always wanted to do. But Im passionate enough about this to come ask questions and try to improve! Thank you guys!

I thought the audio went with the visuals PERFECTLY. But then again, I love experimental films. The only bit of audio I felt didn't fit was the final high pitched sounds, like birds or something.

Edit: Does this short film have something to do with a guy killing himself (or self-harming) because he got his heart broken? That's what I get out of it.

Just so you are aware, "enhancing audio" is the manipulation of sounds by the use of various effects, EQ and dynamics processing. What you first need to do is figure out and understand the symbiosis between the visual and the sonic; then you can worry about polishing the sounds themselves.

Sound - music included - is supposed to be a part of the storytelling process. It can be as simple as "what you see is what you hear", providing commentary, being contrapuntal or being comedic. But sounds completely contrary to what we see still need to have a meaning and connectedness to the visuals. Only you know the affect you wish to create with your pieces. But you still have to know what emotions you wish to evoke in your target audience.

The permutations are endless. Certain harmonic frequencies and combinations thereof react upon human beings at instinctive or "learned" levels . This can be low frequencies that give a sense of uneasiness or constant "white noise" sounds that denote peacefulness. The pacing of sounds can also denote energy or calm; fast = frantic, slow = pacific. And, of course, there are the endless shades of gray in between. And there are the sound/music clichés that permeate our everyday lives - and the world of film - that communicate to us in a thousand different ways.

For your piece the "what you see is what you hear" method would include friction sounds (the pin sliding around), impact sounds (pricking the finger), liquid sounds (squirting blood), friction sounds (the brush). A comedic bent could be out-of-tune (ragtime?) piano music.

And it all comes back to "what are you trying to say?" What emotions do you want your audience to feel? After that the technique and technical aspects are merely a means by which you manipulate the sounds and visuals so that you can manipulate your audience into feeling and understanding what you what them to.

Like Rik said, its not that the audio didn't fit. The connection was just difficult to make.

If you don't mind, could you tell us how the audio was supposed to fit? What were we supposed to get that we didn't? :)

Not bad animation, by the way...:yes:

-- spinner :cool:

Back