• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Screenwriting Degree?

So I've been interested in filmmaking for the last few years, but never had any specific plans for a career. I was always hoping I could read enough, watch enough, write enough, and learn enough about film in order to make my own picture that could gain attention at a festival and find a career that way. Now I'm thinking about a more traditional route to becoming 'successful'.

I want to know what everyone thinks about getting a degree in screenwriting. I think it would be easier to learn within a course than to learn strictly on my own. I would probably learn more in a shorter amount of time by being a full time student. But then there is the pricetag on a degree, is it worth spending the money? Do they basically teach you how to write a Hollywood screenplay, or do they teach you how to be a thoughtful and creative writer? I'm sure some of these questions depend on what school you attend.

Has anyone here been in any screenwriting courses? Certificate programs, one year, bachelor, what are your experiences? What schools would you recommend, or warn me about? I would like to stay on the east side of the country, but if there was a school elsewhere that would really benefit me, I would consider it.

Thank you for any helpful information!

I don't know of any degrees in it myself, so I can't help you there, but in general I feel like a degree in screenwriting is like a degree in becoming a rock star. I say learn to do plumbing, or carpentry, or something where you can make a living (while you are young), and do the writing and film making on the side. Don’t give up on it at all, but get with making a living by a more traditional and secure means so that you can afford to be creative most effectively in the long run. (Sorry if that isn't what you were looking for as an answer.)

-Thanks-

Learning the craft from someone else would be extremely beneficial to your development as a screenwriter.

Whether or not you wind up a professional screenwriter would be dependent on many other factors besides your degree.

But screenwriting is one area of filmmaking where professional tutelage probably wouldn't hurt at all.

I want to know what everyone thinks about getting a degree in screenwriting.
I thinks it's a waste of time.
I think it would be easier to learn within a course than to learn strictly on my own. I would probably learn more in a shorter amount of time by being a full time student.
Then what you need to do is take a course.
But then there is the pricetag on a degree, is it worth spending the money? Do they basically teach you how to write a Hollywood screenplay, or do they teach you how to be a thoughtful and creative writer?
I don't think it's worth spending the money. But you
think it would be easier to learn within a course so you
should take a course. And you will need to research the
courses available to find the one that fits your needs. If
you want a course that teaches you how to be a thoughtful
and creative writer then you need to look for those courses.

This is so personal that I'm having a bit of trouble even
answering your questions. We each must find our own path
and what others have done is irrelevant in the long run.

But my advice to you is to take a course in screenwriting
because you think you will learn more in a shorter amount
of time. that seems to be your preferred path so go for it!

thanks for the tips. i guess what i was thinking is more along the lines of me wanting some sort of degree, and wondering if one in screenwriting would be worthy. i guess the general consensus is, no.

I think you've already answered your own question. From a different thread:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=24468

and i still hold by what i said, nothing matters. its a general statement and plenty of exceptions i'm just saying i hate the state of the world and the state of society. i dont give a shit about having a family and a bullshit career and a house and 2 camrys in the driveway. and other than furthering my understanding of film, i think school is a joke. i think its a scam, this is an exaggerated way to put it but its like the media brainwashed us into wanting all this shit, so it trains us to be greedy selfish money hungry monsters. so we go to school like they say and they feed us shit, then they pretty much put up a fictional ultimatum- either you go to school and join the work force or you join the work force. they have you over your head in debt before you're old enough to buy your own beer. then once they train you to run their evil corporations your head is so far up your ass you'll break all the ethics in order to make your money and thats exactly what they want you to do because thats the basis of all american corporations-make money and fuck who is in your way.

getsmiley.php

Last edited:
MY RANT!

kgasser:

Did you make your point on what? That schools are evil? Sorry, but i'll disagree with you on that one..
How would doctors/lawyers/scientists get their educations?? If you re arguing that school is, as you said, "bull***t for film", I'll think you need to think about film making outside of your field of view. What about experimental research in film making? Or without film school you would have no Fellini or Lucas.

Some people don't need school, but some people enjoy learning and hearing what their instructors/professor have to say. Don't forget that film making is art, and art should be studied.
I agree with you that the price tag is high, but what you get in return is priceless.
Typically, person doesn't learn in school just how to make movies. It teaches you how to think outside the box. Remember the days in your middle/high school when during math test everyone was saying "why are we doing this?? I won't use it!". And most students are right, you end up not using trigonometry. But what you end up applying is logical thinking to everyday problems. You learn how to break your life problem into small little parts, and work on individual piece, rather that the problem as a whole.

I suggest you to rethink your view on school, even though it was one of your moods lol

Moving back the the original question i'd recommend that you first read some screenwriting books. They can give you some great insight and advice and really help you along the way. It will at least make the decision whether or not you need school or not easier to make.

I'd read,
Syd Field
Blake Snyder
Robert McKee
Linda Seger
Viki King
Denny Martin Flinn
and a whole host of others. Lots of different ideas and theories but it really helps to make your own conclusions on different concepts.

I've said this before, yet it seems appropriate.

You're a storyteller, or you're not. Structure, delivery and format can be taught, but what makes you a "Great screenwriter" is not the format that can be learnt, it's the story that cannot.

eh i tend to go through phases. i made a good point tho.

No you don't. Because without all of that you wouldn't have that computer or the internet (not to mention the electricity and the wired/wireless infrastructure) with which to air your opinions. You can go back to living in a cave and painting pictures with your fecal matter, but I sure won't. ;)

MY RANT!

kgasser:

Did you make your point on what? That schools are evil? Sorry, but i'll disagree with you on that one..
How would doctors/lawyers/scientists get their educations?? If you re arguing that school is, as you said, "bull***t for film", I'll think you need to think about film making outside of your field of view. What about experimental research in film making? Or without film school you would have no Fellini or Lucas.

Some people don't need school, but some people enjoy learning and hearing what their instructors/professor have to say. Don't forget that film making is art, and art should be studied.
I agree with you that the price tag is high, but what you get in return is priceless.
Typically, person doesn't learn in school just how to make movies. It teaches you how to think outside the box. Remember the days in your middle/high school when during math test everyone was saying "why are we doing this?? I won't use it!". And most students are right, you end up not using trigonometry. But what you end up applying is logical thinking to everyday problems. You learn how to break your life problem into small little parts, and work on individual piece, rather that the problem as a whole.

I suggest you to rethink your view on school, even though it was one of your moods lol
Sorry I wont agree that Trignometry helps with solving life problems ,but defintely it is required if you have to pursue engineering degree or science course here and want a lucurative software career
padma

Ew, gross, VPTurner, I have never heard of fecal paintings. Nevertheless, I do agree with your point. Even moreso, I agree with dlevanchuck -- an education is a very valuable thing, for more than just the obvious reasons.

Ew, gross, VPTurner, I have never heard of fecal paintings. Nevertheless, I do agree with your point. Even moreso, I agree with dlevanchuck -- an education is a very valuable thing, for more than just the obvious reasons.
I agree.

However....

Is a degree in screenwriting a valuable thing?
Can "an education" mean not going to school?

Just curious, not arguing.

I agree.

However....

Is a degree in screenwriting a valuable thing?
Can "an education" mean not going to school?

Just curious, not arguing.

Um, yeah, sure, you could say that. That's not what I meant -- I meant a formal education, which I see a lot of value in. But, yeah, I suppose there are many ways to get a valuable education.

I think a 4-year degree in anything is valuable, even if you end up with a career in a completely different field. It probably won't get you any closer to selling a screenplay, though, so I guess if you look at it that way, you might as well just read a few books, read a bunch of screenplays, and start writing.

Sorry I wont agree that Trignometry helps with solving life problems ,but defintely it is required if you have to pursue engineering degree or science course here and want a lucurative software career
padma

no i think what he said was right. i've thought a bout that myself, the purpose of math. idk why the teacher could never sum it it like that. it's true the math doesnt directly apply to your life but the mental functions and problem solving does.

I don't need to go to school to learn how to format and structure a story, (well, probably format if i want to sell one someday) but as far as structure, thats art not science. I can make that up myself. If there is anything that learning the traditional way of doing things will do for me, it is what not to do.

I'm looking for books that can help me build my own characters. For me, that is the number one most important thing for screenwriting. If i have complicated, interesting characters in conflict with each other, the plot, story, and theme with pretty much find themselves through my discovery of the characters.

Creative license. :lol:

So on the topic of screenwriting degree, do you need it? Not really. Do we need education? Absolutely. Whether you get it in a classroom or mentoring or self study, no one is going to read your script if it looks like it came from a three year old. But that's where scholastic foundation comes into play. It teaches you the basics of functioning in the working world (where "work" is more than just manual repetitive labor - my 6 year old nephew can dig a ditch given enough time) and becoming a productive member of society. Language, reading, writing, mathematics, history (those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it), geography (how do you write a story about Kenyans if you have no idea where they live?). Even a genius couldn't function without a basic foundation of knowledge on which to grow wisdom.

Nothing worth having is easy to achieve. All this talk lately of getting a piece of the pie? Seriously? If you didn't help gather ingredients or mix them together or have the wherewithal to properly heat the oven and cook the thing, what makes you think you're entitled to a piece of it?

Back