• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Schoon Genoeg (Well Done) - 48HFP Dark Comedy

We shot it on FS5 using SLog3.
One of the producers (and 1 of my friends) has a FS5, so that made the choice easy.
On the MoVI shots (stairs and office) we used the standard 18-105 F4 lens.
For the interviews we used several lenses ranging from 100mm macro, 16-35mm F2.8 EF and 24-70mm F4.

Yeah, it's my personal favorite to complain about twist endings in general because I think I know better. But pretty smart of you Indietalk, the way you understood that their issue with their boss gave them motivation. That all went over my head. But it is a darn cool story element.

Agreed. That is a very strong contender! It looked and sounded professional; the shots, the music, the acting, etc. I liked the ending. Was this mostly natural light?

Thank you :)

We only used 2 LitePanel Astras.
During the interviews we bounced them on the ceiling to get some extra light in the cubicle like interview setting.

(The kinoflos were never unpacked, but in hindsight could have added a nice touch to the interviews. But we didn't put them up, because they would have been standing in the way for a cameraposition we didn't use in the end, lol.
And because we couldn't use them in the top shot, since we used the C-stands to build the contruction the make the shot from the ceiling possible.)

So yes, except for the restroom scenes it was mostly natural light and practicals boosted with the astras.

Last edited:
BTW, as soon as we had all the footage, one of our runners brought a copy of the whole project to the colorist. So by the time we had a locked edit, all we had to do was email the xml fro Resolve.
When the colorist started exporting al the clips, he notified the runner, so he went there to get the disk with the graded footage.

I really think that streamlining the workflow during the planning AND keeping as much as possible in the same place (our headquarter was large enough for 30 people and 20 computer, but we had 1 iMac and 5 laptops: 1 for edit, 1 machine for audio, 1 for photoshop, 3 to communicate with the outside world if needed) is essential to maximise the time you can work on the movie instead of figuring out what to do next.

I didnt get the ending until I read it on this thread, I thought that they had an interview with someone we didnt see and he was the guy they hired in the end.

overall it was solid and I liked it, there were some issues I had with actor movement from one frame to another that looked a bit weird (they move into frame from a different position than the one we see before, the camera was out of focus sometimes (first interview the camera on the two ladies).

The acting was on point, I really liked the first guy and the lady to the left, solid performances.

but overall the negatives are nitpicking from me seeking perfection, it was a good short to watch, good job.

Thought that was great Walter, one of the strongest 48hr films I've ever seen. I thought the twist ending worked really well, and whilst I would probably recommend trimming it down a little bit, it kept my attention for the whole period. Really well acted too – the two women were great – and it was good to see you working with Joey again. Your 48hr with him was certainly better than mine! (He looks much better with shorter hair).

The one flaw and amateur films fell short of that is the actor (first one) looked into the camera. That should havr been edited out. Honestly, that's the only difference maker i can find.

I almost never notice this as an issue, even in amateur films. On my most recent project, however, we were watching back a cut and realised that one of the actors eyes flicked straight into camera at one point. A bit of VFX wizadry fixed his eyeline and you'd never notice where the seam broke.

Yo, that was dope! I really enjoyed it. You definitely pushed the boundaries of political correctness, and that is something good comedy often does. I like the cinematography, the performances are on-point, the music is great, the editing is perfect. I could go on, but suffice it to say that I think this is a wonderful entry in the 48HFP.

As far as comparing it to the contest "winner", I personally think it's absurd to try to make art a competition. Art is a creative expression, and that's it. There is no such thing as "winning". Your team won because you made a terrific film and got a good reception from the audience. :D

Thought that was great Walter, one of the strongest 48hr films I've ever seen. I thought the twist ending worked really well, and whilst I would probably recommend trimming it down a little bit, it kept my attention for the whole period. Really well acted too – the two women were great – and it was good to see you working with Joey again. Your 48hr with him was certainly better than mine! (He looks much better with shorter hair).

Thanks!
A few weeks before 48 Hour started they organised a drink for people who would (want to) participate and I saw Joey's name right below my name on the guestlist. When I saw we talked for a while (last time I saw him was on set 2 years ago) and I just said: 'Do you have team? No? Come join us, it will be fun.'
And it was fun indeed :)

Yo, that was dope! I really enjoyed it. You definitely pushed the boundaries of political correctness, and that is something good comedy often does. I like the cinematography, the performances are on-point, the music is great, the editing is perfect. I could go on, but suffice it to say that I think this is a wonderful entry in the 48HFP.

As far as comparing it to the contest "winner", I personally think it's absurd to try to make art a competition. Art is a creative expression, and that's it. There is no such thing as "winning". Your team won because you made a terrific film and got a good reception from the audience. :D

You are right: it shouldn't be a competition. On the other hand it is cool to try to make the best short.
The whole team agreed that no matter what prizes we might possibly win, we already won by beating the deadline with this short. :)

Our writing team (1 male and 1 female writer, she came up with the concept) really pushed the boundaries, but that was the intention: take sexism as a subject, play with gender roles, make it over the top and funny, while still commenting on human behaviour most people try not to see. (A few times I wondered, can we get away with it? But the cast delivered it in a perfect way :) )
In that perspective it is kind of funny that in the 'winning film' the main character gets punished for a very humiliating sexist remark as well.

(Although no competition: we are trying to get as many eyes on the short as possible. So if you think it is funny, feel free to share it on facebook, twitter, etcetera :P )

Today our short was picked up by a Dutch videoplatform that is filled with silly videos, virals, mishaps and such. That resulted in 52349 views in less than 10 hours!
Too bad someone (unknown to us) ripped the short from YouTube to upload it, so the count on YouTube is still 2500 views after 2 months.
(But hey, we wanted it to be seen by as many people as possible :P )

It really matters what platform shares your videos. Eventhough that platform is notorious for the rubbish and pretty bad comments (although that seems to be the main attraction for many people) there are over 100k people visiting that site daily.

By accident this short is now the most viewed 48HFP film from Rotterdam ever... LOL

For all the London (and UK) based ITers: 'Well Done' can be viewed in The Book Store on the 10th of December at the film bunch. http://thefilmbunch.com/
There will be more shorts to be seen, btw, so don't let the fact you've already seen our short stop you ;)

The screening in London was great fun!
I thought I wouldn't have time to be there, but in the end going by boat to Harwich was the way to be there and be back in time for shooting a video on sunday. :)
It was great to meet London filmmakers and to see how people react to the humor and the clou :)

This was my first international screening, so I had to be there. :P
One of our writer and one actress came to London as well. As I've seen the Tower Bridge, St Paul, Cleopatra's Needle, The Tower, Shakespeare's Theater, The London Eye and the Big Ben in the morning.

After the screening we had many interesting conversations.
CzZtIOaW8AAf4lL.jpg

Some other news: we added Italian subtitles :P
(And hopefully we can add Spanish, Polish and French soon.)

And there is a making of about the 48 Hour weekend in Rotterdam in general.
I added timecode to the URL: you can see our producer/soundmixer, runner/assistant producer and our producer/team captain relax after delivering the short in time:
https://youtu.be/XBFmAd75sbU?t=932

I'm in an experimental mood, so I changed the start still on YouTube from the blue office building to this new still:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQVL0bWNFL0

Part of the experiment is to see whether or not people will play the video sooner. But really testing that would be doubleposting everywhere, so I will just ask you:
do you think this is an improvement from a hypothetical clickrate perspective?

Back