• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rendering in Adobe After Effects

I just Rendered A short 25 second video in adobe after effects. The original file size was 47.3mb. After rendering my file size is 1.93gb. Is there any way to make the file size smaller? someone please help.

It just gave me this error.

After Effects error: image size or format not supported by compressor, or there may be a hardware or memory problem. (53:: 30).

Then you have not chosen the same settings as the original file. I don't know what you started with, but you need to select the same file type, dimensions, audio, etc. as the original clip.

Are there any advantages to doing it that way??

Yes, you won't have to render the clip again in your editing software.

Uncompressed is the way you should keep everything, ideally, until the final output. This will maximize quality.

When you recompress video it loses quality.

If your workflow is original file> premiere for editing> aftereffects for effects> premiere for final composition> output (DVD, web, etc) then compressing between each program is going to greatly reduce the quality of the final output. Much like tape generation loss in linear editing. By staying uncompressed until the end, you only end up with loss from your camera's original compression and the final output, be it mpeg2 for DVD of h.264 for online, etc.

To learn more about after effects output compression, try Video Copilot's free basic tutorials.

I prefer visually lossless codecs, like cineform, over uncompressed personally.. since it's a major pain to play back uncompressed HD footage in realtime, that's just far too much data to sling around that fast.

Does cineform help in general? (That is to say non HD footage handling?) I have no problem in AE, but Premier is a bit taxing for my system.

I planned to get it if/when the time is right to pop for a new camera (And some memory), but should I just get cineform now anyways, for the non HD stuff I do in general?

-Thanks-

If you're rendering to upload, render it out as a Quicktime with a .H264 Codec, this is a pretty good codec in terms of file sizes and quality.

To put it in really basic terms though, it took me a few months of messing around with different settings to get a hang of what codecs output gives what looks, it's a hassle and probably one of the most annoying parts of editing/motion graphics because if you have a slow computer like me, then rendering for 12 hours, then realizing the file is 55GB and looks like shit is really annoying.

What you should do is limit or workspace to about 10 seconds, and render out a BUNCH of different formats and codecs and see what works best for you, personally this was the best way for me to learn.

If you're too lazy to do that, then go for the Quicktime H.264 or Photo JPEG at around 90-95 quality.

Good luck.

If going the lossless route, another option to consider is the Lagarith codec:
http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

File sizes - while still not small - should fall well under fully uncompressed. ...and you'll have no worry about any artifacts.
(You can place a Lagarith AVI and Uncompressed AVI one over the other on a timeline, set the top video's mode to Difference, and shouldn't see a single pixel's worth of variance between the two.)

Last edited:
@Will (nice to see you by the way)
other tools dont seem to want to transcode my cineform avi files. Id like to just render ONE master file out of AE and use other tools, like Encore for DVD for example, to transcode my master. Maybe thats a bad idea? How do you go about delivering for multiple formats? Do you run separate renders from AE for each ?

Back