Questions about 8mm

Hello there,

I have a Emdeko EM5000 8mm camera. (It's NOT Super 8) I just recieved it recently from a friend and have a few questions to anyone willing to answer.

Does this particular camera record sound?
Where is the battery compartment, if there is one?
How do you wind back the motor, and remove the film?
Can lenses be attatched to this camera?

Thanks alot in advance.

3na3m33oe5Y15Z45S1a8597e40edd11e91730.jpg

Last edited:
Does this particular camera record sound? No. You'll have to use an external device. And unless the camera has a crystal sync (which I don't think this comes with), the audio you record will quickly become unmatched to your video (the video is off by a small fraction compared to the audio. I forget the exact number...it's less than a frame a second of course, and not instantly noticable...but within 10 seconds, the lips will be off). Getting a crystal sync for your camera, will keep the framerate precise.

Where is the battery compartment, if there is one? Not sure.

How do you wind back the motor, and remove the film? There is a knob on the side, outside. It has a metal thing that flaps down. You wind it that way.

Can lenses be attatched to this camera? I don't think so. You can add an anamorphic thingie on it...which will give you widescreen...but that gets very annoying to keep in line with the frame--if that makes sense. We didn't use one.

Last edited:
Those cameras are pretty useless. If you are interested in shooting film get a super-8.

I know a couple of people who use these cameras, while not your particular type, but they swear by them!

although there are disadvantages, they do have benefits over super8 cameras:

The film has a backing plate, so that as it goes through it remains very steady, no resulting "jitter" that one can get with super8.

As the cameras are hand wound, they are a fair bit quieter than super8 cameras.

At the moment some labs are offering stock for these cameras that are no longer available to super8 cameras.

Despite the smaller frame these cameras offer, they are still useable, albeit restricted.

order some film and have some fun!

cheers.

Does this particular camera record sound?
No. No 8mm camera records sound.
Where is the battery compartment, if there is one?
There isn't one. This camera is spring wound. You
wind up the spring using the devise on the side of
the camera and it will run for a few minutes. No
batteries needed.
How do you wind back the motor, and remove the film?
You don't. 8mm film is actually 16mm stock on 25ft
rolls. You expose one half, then flip the roll and expose
the other half. At the lab they develop the film, slit it
down the center and splice the ends together for 50ft
of film.
Can lenses be attatched to this camera?
No.

Back