PROMETHEUS Ridley Scott prequel

Cracker -- I felt the same way. I actually did also enjoy how they treated the faith/non-faith stuff. Like you pointed out, it's like real life. There are varied individuals with varied beliefs, approaches, and responses. The spice of life...and drama and cinema. I appreciate how they ask some of those big questions, put those dialogues on the table, and leave it all open and up in the air --which we all know sci-fi is often good at. I only have some trepidation about where they might take it. But if they keep it on the same course, that'll be awesome.

I like your point about seeing it as just a big allegory, not getting too hooked up on the details.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about their going to Olympus. I'm not sure I want that either. Did some of that spoiler stuff you posted, Scoopicman, say something about her indeed going to the Engineer home world and stealing their technology? I'm not sure I want that to happen either, that is, maybe you're right, Cracker, it might be better to go in a direction that maintains more mystery than that. Guess we'll see, God willing. But wherever they're headed, I think the ending in which, like Ripley, Elizabeth finds her badass, gutsy, survivor-self, grabs the thoroughly amoral android whom she can probably never trust, and, what the hell, gets in the scary alien spaceship and takes off into the great unknown...is kinda exhilarating...ish. Kinda like what Buzz Lightyear might do.

Is there a nerdy debate raging about the planet? Hahah, I like that. I think it likely is and ought to be the same. I think it can fit nicely, if that's what Scott and his writers want. There are differences. But I think they could be explained. The planetoid in Prometheus seems to be to some extent more hospitable than the one in Alien...in some respects. But how about this? We haven't been given many details about the star or the planetoid in either movie. Perhaps the planetoid's orbit is unstable. Perhaps the star is unstable. Perhaps the solar system is unstable. Maybe in the time between the Prometheus's visit and the Nostromo's visit, the planetoid's orbit has decayed or been altered in some way...just enough to make the bad weather more continual and unstable. Maybe its rotation has speeded up. Etc.

[Edit] As I thought about the above speculation, I realized that of course maybe none of it is necessary. Maybe the Nostromo visited the planet in a different season. Or, even more simply, maybe the weather was just non-stop dreadful when the Nostromo visited it 'cause that's just how weather sometimes is. [/Edit]

?

When the crew of the Nostromo arrives, they have no idea that there's a major alien military installation there. The wind storms are terrible and constant. The other alien spaceships are probably buried/parked in hollow mountains like the one in Prometheus, or they're otherwise and similarly hidden, stored, docked. In those conditions, it's natural for the Nostromo crew to only find the crashed/derelict alien spaceship. Elizabeth even mentions leaving a warning signal broadcasting.

So, I think it all fits rather neatly...if that's the creators' intentions.

I agree with Knightly and others that the 3D was pretty spectacular. I don’t' think you'll regret seeing it that way, Cracker.

Don -- Those mixing questions are some of the really interesting questions brought up by the whole franchise. When I asked if Elizabeth was, like, the xenomorph-aliens' mother, I was thinking of those mixing questions, but I was afraid of being too explicit, in case we're not all familiar with the birds and the bees. But since you bring it up, I'll try to be delicate.

When Elizabeth and Charlie are...together, Biblically speaking, did...um...Charlie's contribution...mix with Elizabeth's contribution? Well, she's not supposed to be able to bear children. I guess if that's because she's barren, then the answer is a no..not with her...absent contribution, anyhow. Or did he simply deposit an alien egg? Probably so, since that's apparently what face-huggers do...deposit an egg in the victim's chest.

Still, as you've pointed out, the Alien sequels seem to have suggested that the xenomorph parasites borrow (somehow) some of its genetics from its host. The alien in Alien III grows within a dog and seems to consequently come out with some characteristics of a dog, or a quadruped. In the extended version, a restored cut scene has it victimizing a cow, I guess. But I can't say it seemed to be bovine-like when it came out. =P

And of course in Alien IV, the scientists are apparently but unintentionally mixing human and alien DNA. They're not interested in doing so. Well, I guess it's already mixed. They want to unmix it. What they really want is to extract the alien DNA from Ripley as far as possible. The Ripely hybrids which they create from that process seem to be, for them, merely collateral...a bit of a nuisance. Still, there it is --that thread that seems to have been running throughout the series. Ridley has distanced himself from the Alien sequels all these years, but perhaps his writers aren't quite following suit. They're not writing in a vacuum. Or, perhaps, they all, all of the storytellers that have been involved in the series, both the old and the new franchises, have simply and naturally been drawn to exploring the same or similar territory. And, I'm unfamiliar with them, but maybe the spin-off comic books and graphic novels (including the Terminator crossing-over stuff) have covered every corner of this territory? But then, those aren't the films.

Interesting nerdy sci-fi speculative fun!

Scoopicman, have you seen it yet?

Last edited:
richy,

I hate spoilers. I do not know how to do the 'blackout' even though I have been on these threads since 2003... stupid me. My goal was not to give away anything in PROMETHEUS. Just wanted people to watch and remember for those specific scenes (clues) that DO point specifically to where I think Scott is going with the new franchise of films.

Over all, I was really disappointed with the screenwriting. I thought some of the plot points were dumb and unnecessary. Too many cardboard characters and pointless arcs/associations. In the Alien series, one really cared for the characters (especially 1, 2 & 4 -- never should have killed off Newt & Hicks in suspended animation in 3). In PROMETHEUS, I didn't care for the characters beyond Shaw and Vickers, (two clone Ripley-styled characters) although I did have a very wary feeling towards David from opening scene. Janek and rest of crew needed more screen time with better dialogue and development.

My point was to recommend the movie based upon where I think the franchise is going with story, not because of this 'one' opening movie. Script was a D (but did stay honest to ALIEN franchise). Beyond script, thought everything was well done. 3D as well. For those that have an interest, Scott is doing a Larry Niven THE PROTECTOR (1973 -- Tales of Known Space) style of story. Creating our galaxy as a hard, vicious place to be, in 'Scott's Alien universe', (and PREDATOR) constant prep for war against those higher up in the food chain and where the human race stands in that cycle is kind of cool.

Sorry if I gave up any spoilers. Not wanting to do that at all.

Don:
by adding spoiler inside [] at the start of the block and inside [/] at the end, you'll have a spoiler block

Why is there a debate if Prometheus takes place on the same planet? Its LV-223 in Prometheus and LV-426 in Alien.....

Why is there a debate if Prometheus takes place on the same planet? Its LV-223 in Prometheus and LV-426 in Alien.....

I noticed people on the IMDB boards doing that. They're saying, "The Engineer got out of his chair, but in ALIEN, he died in the ship's chair!"

Sorry, but it's not the same planet, nor the same engineer. In ALIEN, the Engineer looks "fossilized," suggesting a much older crash.

Hey guys. Raging debate I see. I read some of the stuff but couldn't read everything. In case this question hasn't been answered could someone tell me this?
How did David come upon the supply of primordial goop that he put into that scientist's drink?
. Thanks.

Edit:
By the way, for me a real annoying part was when the "snake" thing comes and the two geologist guys start going towards it saying "hey baby" to a f'king snake. I would have run away as fast as I could from a real snake, let alone a space snake. And they kept saying "hey baby" and "it's okay" like it was a house cat. Bloody idiots.

Last edited:
Spoiler alert --
The planet of ALIEN & ALIENS is different from the one in PROMETHEUS.

MAJOR Spoiler alert & my premise based upon what is in the movies --
Remember, the planet in PROMETHEUS is an Engineer's weapons building 'planet' (life forms being developed like 'weapons' as in the human base in ALIEN:RESURRECTION) and there are several other Engineer's space craft ON the weapon's planet. In ALIEN & ALIENS -- the ship was a 'crashed' ship that had been over run by an escaped alien life form from the eggs in the hold...

My thoughts on where Scott is going with future movies in this series.
In the ALIEN series -- we hated the 'corporation' (1, 2 & 3) and later the human government (3 & 4) seeking ALIEN life forms. How cruel (we thought) such experimentation was. Innocent humans. ETC. However. What if they were aware that there were Engineers out there (and other alien species) also developing organic weapon systems? No one wants to be anywhere but at the top of the carnivorous food chain... right? So in the next coming soon PROMETHEUS sequel movies featuring Elizabeth Shaw and David -- expect the-only-those-that-need-to-know humans in-power to get the scoop on what a hardcore galaxy (of fear) they live in.

My hypothesis
Maybe, that is why the engineers want to kill humans off... cause our aliens are bigger, badder, faster evolving and smarter than theirs? Remember the look and size of the engineer's pop up alien? Which then leads to the question of, if the engineers are creating organic weapon systems -- maybe they are NOT at the top of the food chain. AND. If they are not -- what is?

I could be wrong. But if I am correct. Going to be one hell of a great movie series... And I cannot wait until the next movie is released!!!!

Now I know how to do the spoiler alert thing. COOL. Thanks for the lesson on how to do from all those who messeged me...

What was really weak and lame in the PROMETHEUS script...

PETER WEYLAND turning up on board (it did nothing to add to story -- the plot point of finding 'god' was dumb and derivative -- was nothing more than a distraction), e.g. having the medical pod could have been explained with out WEYLAND being on board. VICKERS as WEYLAND'S daughter (added nothing -- unless she is still alive -- and WEYLAND CORPORATION knows she is the next in line for ascension). VICKERS and JANEK's verbal romp rendezvous (added nothing to story). WE knew she was not an android or robot. Just a very smart woman (and drop dead beautiful). Get rid of the whole religious BS -- added zilch. As truindie wrote (and others on this thread) dumb dialogue abounds throughout -- if these are the smartest humans one can find in 2094 to pilot the PROMETHEUS, we are in trouble. Holloway, Janek and others needed more development -- "In the end, I didn't care if they died". I should have! Their death should have been glorious -- not just a quick means to end a sub plot point. I could go on and on. This was a bad script, the weakest link in this movie. At least they did maintain the ALIEN UNIVERSE. Just think if they had gone beyond making the characters cardboard? This could of been an awesome movie.

I am not rich or famous -- this is just my humble two cents.

No, it's LV-426 in "Aliens". As I understand it, the specific planet is never mentioned in "Alien", and there's some debate about whether "Alien" and "Aliens" take place on the same planet (I always assumed they did).

These aren't the arguments I'm making. I'm just relaying what people are saying.

There's also the question of whether or not Scott even gives a shit about anything that exists in any movie other than "Alien". I'm starting to lean towards the idea that they are not the same planet, or the same ship, but I'm basing that mostly on the fact that Scott plans two sequels, to "fill in the gaps". So, if there are "gaps", then I would assume they're not the same.

Hey guys. Raging debate I see. I read some of the stuff but couldn't read everything. In case this question hasn't been answered could someone tell me this?
How did David come upon the supply of primordial goop that he put into that scientist's drink?
. Thanks.

I thought I remembered him sneaking one of the pod thingies onto his ship, covertly placing it in his pack before they went back. Or, something like that.

Edit:
By the way, for me a real annoying part was when the "snake" thing comes and the two geologist guys start going towards it saying "hey baby" to a f'king snake. I would have run away as fast as I could from a real snake, let alone a space snake. And they kept saying "hey baby" and "it's okay" like it was a house cat. Bloody idiots.

Oh, everyone in the theater felt the same way (and some in this thread have already commented on this). But I've actually seen such stupidity in real life.

I spent a Summer in Bali, studying monkeys. They were wild, but they interacted with tourists, who would feed them bananas. This one lady walked up to a very small infant monkey, and tried to give it a banana. The mother immediately began making distress calls to the rest of her monkey troupe. I told the lady that she should back off. She continued trying to give the banana to the infant. Seconds later, the alpha male of the troupe responded to the mothers' distress calls, stepping in front of the infant, making very obvious threats to the lady, using his long, sharp fangs as an obvious show of agression.

The following macaque is just yawning. Imagine if he were all up in your face, showing you his teeth, making crazy noises. And this is a small macaque.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7043/6790812168_6fa1771834_z.jpg

Once again, I told the lady to back off. Not only did she not back off, but she went around the alpha male, once again trying to give the banana to the infant. The alpha male violently snatched the banana from her hands, and continued to threaten her. She tried to grab the banana back from him.

The resulting deep gash on her arm was easily more than a foot long.
People do stupid things sometimes.

Besides, people doing stupid things is a trope of horror movies. Plus, that scene was awesome! :)

Don --
Wow, I guess this goes without saying, since I already said it, but I can't disagree with you more, regarding the religious stuff. I feel like that's the whole point of the movie! I don't care what you believe (or don't); who among us has never looked up at the sky and just asked, "why?"

Cracker Funk,

It is not a matter of looking up at the sky and wondering "why"? For yes, wondering "why" is one component within the story. We agree on that. It was the Christian religious aspect that followed, that for me (and others) was redundant, derivative throughout the story and did little to advance the plot or characters (or even the character Shaw's arc, in the end). Yes. The "why" of human beings, from the decomposition of the first engineer whose DNA went on to create the basis for human evolution. In the opening scene, remember there was no life forms on the Earth. The engineer watched his fellow species leave in their craft, ate the 'substance' that caused a break down of his physical being and promoted the replication of his DNA to start 'life' on the planet (obviously, the planet was Earth). Remember the opening? The water scene? That doesn't hold with any established 'Christian' theology I know of. Yet, the Christian angle was continued through Elizabeth Shaw, her reflections on her father with his missionary work and on through the story -- even David brought it up by "listening to her (Shaw's) dreams", Shaw's POV with lover, Holloway, etc. -- I question whether that 'Christian' thread was important for the story as a whole. For me, (and others that have discussed this film), we think it takes away from the story, slows the pace and confuses. PROMETHEUS, in my humble opinion, should of concentrated on the survival of different species, cultures and sciences in conflict. Organized (in this case, the Christian) religion just muddies the water, (has nothing to do with what you, I or any one else believes). It is about effective story telling, and for some, (obviously NOT for you), the religious aspect was derivative and redundant. I respect your POV. Your rights to believe anything you wish. But I am not talking about any individual beliefs, I am writing on this thread about effective storytelling. For me the religious angle was one of several failures in the PROMETHEUS script. Another weak plot point was the sudden appearance of WEYLAND at the end, to see the engineer/creator... These were dumb gadgets. Within the 2 plus hours, the script should have focused more on making us care about the crew, the finding out about the ALIEN GALAXY/HISTORY and the sacrifices they would make to insure the safety and survival of humanity.

Great, we are talking about this movie after the fact! My two cents is not any bigger or shinier than anyone elses, I am not rich or famous or know anyone rich or famous. But once, I did meet a person on the street that said he talked constantly to God. LOL.

Don,

Great points. Thanks for sharing them.

Just to clarify -- for all intents and purposes, I'm atheist (not that that should matter). But I recognize that organized religion is a HUGE part of human existence, and it largely stems from our almost innate desire to know more, and our very existence is a HUGE unexplained answer for a whole lot of people. Organized religion helps people answer questions, and so for that reason, I think it does fit in with this story.

Obviously, this is all just opinion, and I promise to keep an open mind when I re-watch it, tomorrow. :)

Saw this today. I'll confess to never having seen any of the Alien movies so I was profoundly confused by a number of things. Any clarification would be appreciated.

1.) Why did she give birth to an alien octopus?
2.) Why did the guy get a virus and no one else did?
3.) The opening scene with the alien killing himself while the Prometheus flies off: WTF?
4.) Was Charlize Theron a robot?
5.) Did David betray aged Guy Pearce?

Thanks!

NickClapper,

Wow. Very complex questions! You need to spend about nine hours with the ALIEN movies (watch in order) and (it probably wouldn't hurt) spend some time with the PREDATOR series as well (though the PREDATOR movies are not as relevant -- they do add some information and minor entertainment).

Look at it this way, (lucky star) the ALIEN movies are a blast to watch and you are in for 9 hours of solid entertainment!

To all future PROMETHEUS thread writers, I am done on IndieTalk for the next two weeks -- time for TRUE BLOOD @ 9... then off to camping and film-making in the wilderness known as the American wild west... PEACE.

Saw this today. I'll confess to never having seen any of the Alien movies so I was profoundly confused by a number of things. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Actually, those elements are all new to "Prometheus", so I think your having never seen "Alien" does not matter. Except for maybe the first question, just a little bit.

Before I answer the questions, let me go ahead and speak for everyone else in this thread to insist that you simply must see "Alien". That is, if you appreciate a good horror movie. It's similar, but very different from "Prometheus", much more of a straight-forward horror monster movie. It's incredibly tense, definitely one of the best ever made. Anyway...

1.) Why did she give birth to an alien octopus?
2.) Why did the guy get a virus and no one else did?
3.) The opening scene with the alien killing himself while the Prometheus flies off: WTF?
4.) Was Charlize Theron a robot?
5.) Did David betray aged Guy Pearce?

1. Yeah, that was kind of weird. The alien monsters in the "Alien" franchise are quick to adapt, genetically. And it seems, from this movie, that they are specifically designed (by the engineers) to make rapid genetic changes, in one generation. You'll see a much smaller (and in my opinion, much scarier) version of the alien octopus, in "Alien".

2. Because David poisoned his drink with a drop of the genetic-bomb-juice. But I don't think it was a virus. I think the goopy liquid ("big things have small beginnings") is a bunch of DNA, specifically engineered to quickly evolve into the "zenomorphs" that populate the "Alien" franchise. And, apparently, this liquid will find a way to reach this eventuality, in many different ways.

3. That was the genesis of all life on Earth, or some Earth-like planet. His DNA, combined with some super-scientific potion, would create life that would start with single-cell organisms, and eventually lead to a life-form that is very similar to his (like us). And that wasn't the Prometheus; that was an engineer space ship.

4. Definitely not. Why would you think that?

5. I'd say so. I mean, he practically sacrificed all of human-kind (or risked it, anyway), in an effort to create a new form of life, simply because he could. Kind of an asshole robot, if you ask me. I guess Weyland never figured how to program loyalty.

Last edited:
To all future PROMETHEUS thread writers, I am done on IndieTalk for the next two weeks -- time for TRUE BLOOD @ 9... then off to camping and film-making in the wilderness known as the American wild west... PEACE.

Have a nice time in the wilds, Don :)

Ridley Scott has always been coy about whether or not Prometheus fits into the Alien universe and whilst it's obvious that it does, I was under the impression that it would also work as a standalone film that didn't require any prior knowledge of the series. So I was confused to find myself confused.

EDIT: @CF Thanks for the help! I did not see No.2 at all, totally missed it (perils of a date movie). No.3 went right over my head as well, could've sworn there was a giant space ship there. No.4, I definitely thought that was implied throughout so I was surprised that it ended without 'revealing' anything. Guess I was just day dreaming. And, No.5, I thought Michael Fassbender was the best thing about the film, great robot ;)

Last edited:
No, it's LV-426 in "Aliens". As I understand it, the specific planet is never mentioned in "Alien", and there's some debate about whether "Alien" and "Aliens" take place on the same planet (I always assumed they did).

When Ripley is being debriefed at the beginning of Aliens, she states that the they touched down on LV-426.

If anyone hasn't seen it, the director's cut of Aliens adds a lot to it. If I remember right, it actually shows the ship when Newt's family goes out to it.

Have a nice time in the wilds, Don :)

Ridley Scott has always been coy about whether or not Prometheus fits into the Alien universe and whilst it's obvious that it does, I was under the impression that it would also work as a standalone film that didn't require any prior knowledge of the series. So I was confused to find myself confused.

EDIT: @CF Thanks for the help! I did not see No.2 at all, totally missed it (perils of a date movie). No.3 went right over my head as well, could've sworn there was a giant space ship there. No.4, I definitely thought that was implied throughout so I was surprised that it ended without 'revealing' anything. Guess I was just day dreaming. And, No.5, I thought Michael Fassbender was the best thing about the film, great robot ;)

#2 -- Happened literally in the blink of an eye. #3 -- There was definitely a giant space ship, but not the Prometheus. The Prometheus is the ship that the humans took to get to the planet most of the movie takes place on. #5 -- Fassberger was GREAT!!!

Back