prime lenses???

Can anyone explain to me what the advantages are when using a prime lens over a zoom lens?
I am still deployed at this point but have been getting a few things here and there to prepare for my group's first "big zero-budget" project once i get stateside, but haven't the slightest clue what a prime lens would give me aside from the need to zoom in using my legs.

BONUS INFORMATION: Filmmakers have made it into festivals, won awards and piled up great reviews without unscrewing the lens that came with the camera or even knowing the meaning of the term "prime lenses".

If you've money burning a hole in your pocket, by all means, get one, if not, beware of gearheads.

Good luck! :)

BONUS INFORMATION: Filmmakers have made it into festivals, won awards and piled up great reviews without unscrewing the lens that came with the camera or even knowing the meaning of the term "prime lenses".

If you've money burning a hole in your pocket, by all means, get one, if not, beware of gearheads.

Good luck! :)

Haha, fair enough! I guess I'll hold off on that a bit since we already have 3 lenses to choose from. All the same, thanks for all the info guys :)

Haha, nah... I just bought a Rebel T3i a few months ago to replace my first gen Rebel and with the 18-55mm kit lens i also have a 35-80mm and an 80-200mm lens. I was just wondering if there was anything staggeringly different aside from sharpness that would provoke me to get a prime for our next project. Like, say better auto focusing or something like that :P

It really depends.

If you're looking at cheap Canon zooms vs cheap Canon Primes, then there's not a huge difference - they're marginally sharper and are generally faster, but wide open they're usually really soft anyway.

It does depend on which prime. The lenses you have are all pretty cheap "beginner" lenses, but a prime like the Canon 50mm 1.8 isn't going to be much better quality.

Now, you can pay a few hundred for a prime that looks as good as a $1200+ zoom. Primes have way less moving parts than zooms, way less glass and almost always let way more light in so you can shoot in lower light scenarios. Try Rokinon/Samyang/bower if you're looking for a new lens. Crazy cheap, but crazy good quality.

I've started using the old manual Nikon Nikkor primes and the quality is incredible. Super cheap too. On keh cameras I got a 135mm for around $40. It rivals any lens I own including some l series canon glass. It is manual though so you are giving up being able to set things with the camera mainly aperture.

Define what price class!

I would normally pick primes over zooms!

But then again, I'd pick an angenieux Optimo Zoom over a Canon Prime!

I do like the Carl Zeiss CP.2s on a low budget! Primes are normally sharper and cheaper!

I've started using the old manual Nikon Nikkor primes and the quality is incredible. Super cheap too. On keh cameras I got a 135mm for around $40. It rivals any lens I own including some l series canon glass. It is manual though so you are giving up being able to set things with the camera mainly aperture.

Agreed! im a vintage lens whore and i love all my old 35 year old M42 lenses.....i have both zoom and primes. Several reasons i went this rout but the bigest reason is price. I have several super taks and a helios lense, an got them all around from $30-$50..however these types of lenses have increased in price since even last year due to the rediscovering them of people like me (ive been seeing super taks now going for at least $75 and more), so you have to know what you are buying (which is a trick its self) and how much you are willing to pay. i bought 3 primes for under $100 that are just amazing! I also have a t3i. if you go this rout you will need an adaptor for the camera $2-$10 on the type of adaptor.
some good M42 lenses to look at
Sears M42 (yes i said sears! these older lenses are extreamly well built! and take great pics, but they are increasing in price steadly)
Super Takamar( smc super mutli coated lenses they are really good! great lens but again there is usually a fight on ebay but if your patient you can find deals)
Helios (awsome russian lense..their prices are sortof high but are holding steady..reason they are a little high because most of the sellers are in russia and its the shipping that causes this)
Vivatar (verry good lense prices have risen slightly but like the helios there are so many out there that deals are to be found.)
there are ton more but for a vintage lense noob you want to stay away from the ziess lenses because for all the confusion on who made them at a certin time and what not (its too confusing to even begin just trust me wait on these till you are more exerienced and have more money in your pocket!)
Hanimex and Hanamar these are shit lenses and i already got burned on one of these!
You need to do your research on what these beauties can and cant do...as well as how to buy them and know what to look for. Its so rewarding to nab a one of these little metal beauties and use them instead of a plactic tube that just dosent feel right..:P

Last edited:
Back