P2 what the heck is it?

HI all,
I'm doing a paid AE gig and don't know crap about P2. The footage was shot on Panasonic HVX200. What do I do to make this something I can work with on my windows CS3 AE system?

I have neoscene but everything I read says "neoscene dont play dat game!"

thanks..

Cineform support rocks..

in about an hour they replied with....

uninstall neo scene (temporarily). then install the 15-day trial version of Neo HD:

http://cineform.c.... edited.... 281-101103.zip

Make sure you have the P2 drivers and P2 viewer installed.

Then convert the files from this guy. Once you're done. uninstall Neo HD and reinstall your Neo Scene to do the edit.

Ill just install NEOHD on a different computer.. but this is all I need.. Iv already downloaded the drivers and viewer from panay..

well, turns out the customer doesn't know how to deal with there own files.. or rather, I don't know what to ask for.. I said "footage right from the camera would be best" and all they gave me was a few XML files, not data. Whats the easiest way to explain to someone how to get the footage to me? Thanks in advance..

I would think that as expensive as those card are, people only have a few and would be archiving the contents on a hard drive somewhere.. ..

I think the MTX files contain the video.. but what I dont know is the naming convention etc.. Iv never SEEN the contents of a P2 so I feel kinda stupid.. if someone has or knows where one is, a screen shot of the p2 directory structure all flailed open Id sure like to see it..

I can't help. But I gotta say I have shot with that
camera three times and the P2 cards created so
many problems I couldn't understand why anyone
would choose to use that format. I feel for ya', to
have both the production people and the editor not
really knowing what's going on is going to be quite
a challenge.

lol... yeah Rick Iv reached that point.

So turning this on its head. The footage is already in FCP, I need it exported in the best quality possible. Any recommendations?

Of course I dont know FCP either.. lol

I read that if you export QT (not QT Compressor) that the result is the best uncompressed output possible.

Comments?

I remember a year ago, I had to do some compositing with P2 footage (shot on HVX) in AE (After Effects for the noobies lol) but it just wasn't happening.

Had the clip in FCP, exported it as MOV, threw it in AE, but it just looked horribly compressed. So I did it all in FCP instead...

Still though, was a pain in the ass.

Back