Novice screenwriter..with a completed screenplay

Hello all, I just completed a great piece of work( imo).. I'm unable to afford the necessary agents/managers, needed to succeed in this industry.. hoping to chat with anyone with any experience or pointers. -thanks, Steven

Last edited:
Hello Steven,
What is this (alleged) great piece of work? Is It a movie screenplay? what is the genre? How, ideally, would you like to proceed?
I'd love to help. if possible, or at least offer my thoughts, but you need to be a little more forthcoming with the details please.
Cheers

Welcome to indietalk, Steve.

I have some good news for you; you do not need to pay the necessary
agents managers needed to succeed in this industry. They take a percentage
of the sale.

Hello all,
Thanks, for the welcoming messages. I have a screenplay, drama.. based around fatherhood, basketball, love and domestic abuse.. although catered to a specific audience, the issues and merit of the story are relatable to all. Initially, I wrote this with Hope's of selling.

Welcome to indietalk, Steve.

I have some good news for you; you do not need to pay the necessary
agents managers needed to succeed in this industry. They take a percentage
of the sale.
I appreciate the reply, how do I go about getting this script in the hands of someone who can facilitate a deal or who may be interested in my writing?

It's pretty simple – not easy, but simple. You research managers and
send letters of inquiry.

Make sure you're ready. Make sure this great piece of work really is.
I have been a “reader” and I see many screenplays that don't stand
up to industry needs. Sending out a screenplay that isn't really ready
is the biggest mistake a writer can make.

Managers have a lot of writers vying for their attention so make sure
you query letter is exceptional and really stands out. You'll likely get
one reply per 100 you send out.

Do you have any industry connections at all? Ever worked on a no
budget feature? Know any makers of short films?

It can't hurt to save up some money and submit to a coverage
service. Entering a top screenplay contest will cost money (usually
the cost of six Starbuck's coffee's or a couple of fast food meals)
but placing can really help you attract someone who may be interested
in your writing.

How many finished, excellent scripts have you finished?

Firstly, I'd be misleading you and the forum, if I don't point out that, I'm NOT a writer per se. Never read a book on writing a script, never went to school for film or writing etc. just a few videos on youtube on how to format the page and the basics. I had a vision of a movie, that I'd be into watching and began brainstorming. I have no prior work, I'm not even sure I'll be able do this again. I'm sure, there'll be mistakes in the script.. I haven't copy written it yet or I'd send it to you for feedback..BEST CASE SCENARIO.. if the script is decent/ above par.. how quickly does it get purchased, how much, can I do this remotely from NJ.. or do I have to take a trip to California

A little correction for clarity: it's not copy written - it's copyRIGHTed, the right to copy.

There is plenty of filmmaking in NY and even NJ. You do not need to be in California.
There is no "quickly" in this business. A decent/above par script is a very difficult sale.
It could take years of hard work, making connections and many rejections before you
find a producer willing to buy it.

You have a challenge to overcome; managers and agents are rarely interested in a
"one-hit-wonder". They make their money from a career writer. I'm not saying it can't
happen - only that you have an obstacle you need to overcome. And that one script
needs to be exceptional. Something that will attract top actors and a top director. The
harsh reality is selling a script isn't about vision or passion or even great storytelling;
it's about attracting top talent to it.

Again appreciate the message.. honestly when I was typing copywritten it felt wrong but It felt better than copyrighted.. but I digress.. I'm not into the traditional route.. the market I'm catering to is the AFRICAN AMERICAN.. there is no time better than now, for both this movie narrative and in terms of that community's willingness to support a film about them/their struggles..

I'm aware, that some of you guys have been at this for decades and a bunch of re-writes and etc etc... so hearing "this may take years, impossible, highly unlikely " .. is what I anticipated.. I'm REALLY in search of someone who has done, what I'm looking to do.. create a great piece of art and sell it... not the jaded critics, or career long -at home screenwriter.. goodluck and thanks for the feedback

Ohhh look a little moderator shade🤦🏿‍♂️.. after short thought.. why would said person be in these forums.. rhetorically speaking!! So again all the jaded , opinionated "writers" who've been doing this for decades.. your criticism is an important part of this journey.. "SHORT JOURNEY" ... I'll have it COPYRIGHTED this week and sent out to you two

The African American market isn't different than any other market. A new,
unproduced writer doesn't get any kind of special treatment or pass because
of their intended market. African American producers want the same thing
as all producers.

I'm sorry you see me as jaded. I'm far from it. I am still excited to be making
a living doing what I love every, single day. I am still very interested in helping
new screenwriters face the challenges. I'm sorry I didn't offer you what you
wanted to hear.

Since you aren't into the traditional route then I suggest you buck all the tired
methods and just go for it. Send it to producers you admire, producers in the
community who you believe will support your vision and art. You don't need
to afford the necessary agents/managers or even contact them. Go directly to
the producers who can buy your script.

As soon as you submit the copyright form start sending your script out.

Well every market is different, I would think.. I wouldn't send spike lee the same script I'm sending George lucas... but whatever, I'll try to make the impossible...possible
Thanks

Last edited:
Ohhh look a little moderator shade🤦🏿‍♂️.. after short thought.. why would said person be in these forums.. rhetorically speaking!! So again all the jaded , opinionated "writers" who've been doing this for decades.. your criticism is an important part of this journey.. "SHORT JOURNEY" ... I'll have it COPYRIGHTED this week and sent out to you two

A person like that would be on these forums if they joined before they became famous.
Well I think if I sold a famous screenplay I'd still be posting here :)

Hey maybe that member will be you!!
After you are successful you can be the change you want to see in IT (indietalk) and help the newcomers out with your upcoming experience.

Last edited:
First off, welcome to IndieTalk.

Now, onto the stuff all newcomers and wannabes despise….

The entertainment industry is HARD. It's a pyramidal structure that is very hard to climb. I started out in the music biz as a performer, and I managed to do fairly well, becoming musical director for a very prominent oldies act. When arthritis curtailed my performing career I moved into music production as a recording engineer and then sidestepped into audio post. But every step up that pyramid means that the hardworking, connected, talented pool of people gets denser and denser as others with less perseverance, talent and connections fall by the wayside. You have to be VERY talented and quite well connected to even get noticed, and those requirements increase the higher you go.

The biggest obstacle, once you are past the halfway mark, is that more and more decisions are taken out of your hands by those who control the market and the money. The money people most definitely want to earn a profit, and they rely on the marketing people, rightly or wrongly, to help them decide how to to invest their money. That "Hollywood" media machine receives tens of thousands of scripts every year, and most of them come through agents, managers and other connections. Maybe a thousand get far enough for more scrutiny by the powers that be. They will green light maybe a couple of hundred for development each year, and only a few dozen actually get produced.

This is the point that all the "shades" "jades" and "unlikelys" that seem to be annoying you so much. This industry is fornicating HARD. The powers that be don't want to waste their time with what they perceive as an unproven wannabe. This may be an unwelcome perspective to you, but it is also a fact of entertainment life. For now, your script is a personal passion project; it's important to you, but, the brutal truth is, almost no one else cares.

Believe it or not, the people here at IT actually do care. The fact that they are responding to you at all is an indication of that. I have posted over 5,000 times in the past dozen or so years in an attempt to help people improve their sound-for-picture skills. I've been there and done that. All of the folks here who are giving you unwelcome screenplay advice have also been there and done that and are truly trying to help you by ripping away the veil of fantasy to reveal the cold hard reality of what you are facing.

I wish you well.

Well put Alcove Audio.

I agree whole heatedly, through many years of empirical knowledge, in what you have described.

It is a bugger of an industry, and you do need to understand this, otherwise you will eventually find out in a less than pleasing way.

Having said that, even though I think the OP's attitude on this forum was inapproprate, particularly as it was directed at people who wanted to help, you do need to also have total, blinkerd, faith in your work.
The people I has watched, over the years, that have climbed the proverbial pyramid, in their field of the film industry, have also been the people that have a confidence (bordering on arrogance) for themselves and their work.

I think there is a balance to be reached, where you have total belief in yourself, yet avoid alienating people. The OP might have a great script, but because of the way he acted/reacted to comments, I withdrew from my desire to offer my thoughts.

By the way. My script actually IS 'The dogs boll#*ks'!!... so watch out world.

Back