• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

New inteview with indie-talk's own, Steve Richards

Nice interview.

Gold:
"KDK12: What advice would you give to a filmmaker new to the horror genre?

SR: Focus on the story. I spend a fair amount of time on film forums, and new filmmakers seem to worry obsessively about which camera to use, and how to get ahold of name-talent to give their film an edge. If the script is ass, then it doesn’t matter how expensive your camera is, or which actor you choose. Make sure your script has a solid set of legs before doing anything else… and that includes having others read it, too. If your story is good enough, it doesn’t matter what medium you use."

Also:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=181886#post181886

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Steve was a great subject!

Maybe there are one or two horror auteurs lurking? hmmmm?

Maybe there are one or two horror auteurs lurking? hmmmm?

I've done a couple of horror shorts... but not being a huge fan, I found the process very enlightening and became a fan (I'd seen plenty, but they were very "eh" to me - until I made one, then I got the appeal).

Oh, snap! "Slices" is on Netflix instant queue. Watching it tonight!

Oh lordy. :lol:

I've come a long way since that was made, believe me. Actually, the released version is not the finished version, either! Some of the graphic FX were placeholders (such as the typewriter part) and other similar things. I have a harddrive buried somewhere, with an alternate cut. Long story.

I've never really been interviewed (for film, anyway) and I found it to be very introspective, trying to word some answers. I think it also helped me focus on some things, too, that I hadn't really considered before.

Dar & the KDK12 crew really are cool folks. Hats off to them, for their ongoing promotion and appreciation of the indie-level films!
smiley_tiphat.gif

How is the sound? :D

You'd probably have a seizure, 30 seconds into it. :lol:

The majority of it was boom-mic direct to camera's XLR input. On one day, someone had even switched sound OFF on the camera, for about 3 hours of shooting! :huh:

There's a very good reason why I'm banned from touching any sound-gear. It guarantees ADR. :blush:

Oh lordy. :lol:

I've come a long way since that was made, believe me. Actually, the released version is not the finished version, either! Some of the graphic FX were placeholders (such as the typewriter part) and other similar things. I have a harddrive buried somewhere, with an alternate cut. Long story.

I've never really been interviewed (for film, anyway) and I found it to be very introspective, trying to word some answers. I think it also helped me focus on some things, too, that I hadn't really considered before.

Dar & the KDK12 crew really are cool folks. Hats off to them, for their ongoing promotion and appreciation of the indie-level films!
smiley_tiphat.gif

Thanks, dude! It was fun working with you! Just keep us in mind as those new projects develop!

Back